• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Pin Pointing Power Steering Problem

mijon

Description:

I'm having an issue with my power steering. At the tail end of last snowplowing season my power steering started squeaking really bad anytime I raised, lowered, or angled my blade. Well the problem eventually got worse over time. It got to the point that it would squeak very loud every time I turned on my truck for about 15 seconds. And even longer on a cold start. Last weekend I decided to change the old original to the truck belt. There is still a slight squeak when I start the truck. But there's been a noticeable difference in the amount of squeaking since I put the new belt on.

Question:

Running my plow takes a lot of juice. I seen a post on here last year where a guy stated running any kind of plow is hard on the power steering system, alternators, etc. My questions are...

1. Do you think the power steering pump is bad now?
2. How can I prevent/upgrade so this problem doesn't happen again?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated

61sleepercab

You are loading the pump/alternator causing the belt to slip while the motor is trying to turn the unit. Some squeaking is normal....like cutting steering to limit and hold pressure on wheel......alternator squeaks at start up with low battery. New belt and correct tension will minimize noise. Bad unit or bearing will make noise all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks