• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!! play in steering wheel

THEROAD

The M109 I just picked up has play in the steering wheel. You can move the wheel about a 1/3 of a turn without anything happening. There is no resistance at all. The truck drives very good, not shimmy, there is just a lot of free play in the wheel. Looks like the steering box has some new bolts on it that connects the steering wheel shaft and the horn button is missing like the motor pool was messing with it. Any suggestions on where to start?
The truck is a 1970 AM General. It has a very nice muffler system, but no turbo. The engine ran very good and pulled good; but it seemed to lack a little pep on hills. Doesn't seem like putting a turbo on means much. Putting a turbo on may be in the future; but I need to learn more about how these multifuel engines perform. My other deuce has a turbo as does my son's M109. Sounds like drag race may be required to see how trubos improve power.
Thanks for any suggestions

hole

I cant remember the TM # but it shows how to check / adjust steering gear box. Mine had a death wobble above 45 mph that was corrected with a minor adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks