• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please - Fuel line replacment - 86 - 6.2- M1009 - Losing prime

A12ozProphet

Popping my posting cherry here, bear with me please.

I've looked the forums/posts over pretty well and I've used the maintenance manual so much in the past 6 months that if it were paper I'd need a new copy, but I can't seem to find this addressed any where,

I'm losing prime in my 86 6.2 M1009. I've decided to replace at least all the engine compartment rubber fuel lines and I'm hoping there is a trick to getting the line from the stock fuel filter "on fire wall" to the injector pump off and back on at the injector pump end "See attached pic.". I'd rather not have to pull the intake to get at 1 friggin clamp or the line nut. pump-all.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kent

PS -- Great site!!! It's covered my ass MANY MANY times since I've joined.

stampy

Your lift pump is probably sol. Mine is dead and sometimes my truck doesn't want to run when hot. I put a 12v pump in temporarily and it has kept me running until I can get the mechanical lift pump replaced. I just use it to prime when I need to though.

jimmy-90

Ditto on what Westech said. I'd try a small swivel head ratchet with either a screwdriver attachment or small socket for the clamp and a wrench with a swivel head for the line nut. If that fails then you could try cutting the hose clamp off with something like a pair of wire cutters at least. It never ceases to amaze me how people get hose clamps on upsidedown and stuff like that. Hope you are able to get those parts off without chewing up the line nut too bad.

A12ozProphet

Sampy: Thanks for responding.

I put in a lift-pump a month or so ago which just about fixed my problem. It now starts great when it's primed. But when it sits for a while “like overnight” it fires right up but then dies in a just a few seconds. Then I would have to crank way to long until it pumped fuel through the system again.

My temporary fix was to add a valve stem to my gas cap, now I open my bleeder valve, pump in a little air into the tank, close my bleeder, pump in a little more air then it starts half way decent. After that until it sits for a while it starts great. So I figure I just have to eliminate any place that air can enter the system until I find the actual culprit(s).

Thanks again,

Kent.

jimmy-90

Im sure other people will chime in if indeed it is your fuel filter base. I've noticed that some people on here will figure out which part of the base is leaking and attempt to fix it with hardware store parts and others will get a replacement filter base off of ebay or from the chevy dealer if they can still get them and then there are people who convert to a spin on filter. I elected to convert to a spin on myself because the stock model 80 fuel filter base was said to be defective from the factory. For a few years chevy actually made an o-ring upgrade kit to try to correct the problem but they have discontinued them over the years. I was able to determined that mine was leaking just by process of elimination like what your doing. If there is always alot of wet fuel around the base that is definately a sign.

markg

Jimmy-90: Thanks for the guess.

If it is the filter base what would I need to do to fix it? Replace?

Thanks again,

Kent.
you can fix the filter base, im sure thats your problem. there is an o-ring below one of the sensors on the base. i just replaced one and fixed the same problem you are having.

overnight the o-ring is letting air back in the system, creating an air pocket. when you start it the morning it runs for 2 seconds till it hits the air. lots of wear and tear on your starter working through the air. thanks. mark

motorman

i purchased a replacement fuel filter base from oem-surplus. between this and replacing all the rubber fuel lines back to front solved my hard to start problems.

mutt1966

can a fuel filter base from a '86 GMC Jimmy be used as a replacemnt for the M1009 one or does it need any modification. Thanks for any help, Scot