• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please starting problems

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get your new starter?

Why did you change your starter?

sarge1

Battery dead its in the red.
Only knowing what we do from this thread, kind of hard to say the battery(s) are shot just from the voltmeter on the dash don't you think? He should still get them tested, but who knows if his gauge is any good? Good luck on figuring it out though, hope it's nothing too bad.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
are you trying to charge it hook up in 24 v or two sep 12 v battery chargers.
if thaat the case it will be no go you will need 24 v charger or un hook batterys and charg them one at a time.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only knowing what we do from this thread, kind of hard to say the battery(s) are shot just from the voltmeter on the dash don't you think? He should still get them tested, but who knows if his gauge is any good? Good luck on figuring it out though, hope it's nothing too bad.
I agree. Mine is always in the yellow when starting, and has started while in the red. That clunk from the solenoid in the video is a healthy clunk so I think he's got decent batteries. But, once again, have them tested.

Milbikes

Even when it is really cold, my volt meter never goes down that low when I start it. It looks like something is drawing a lot of juice.....Is the engine stuck? Check all cable connections. If the engine is not stuck, and all connections are good, batteries charged......time to look at the starter.

hoss0311

when i charge the batteries i un-hook everything and charge them one at a time. i found a ground wire that was loose to, so i tightened it up it was on the motor where the main ground is at. now it make a weird noise here is a video i just took the noise is coming from the solenoid that is right next to the mater cylinder i think someone said that it was for the glow plugs. i look but cant find what part number that is and if it has to be 24v. to doghead yeah i changed my starter myself i got it off ebay it was a new cltric. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtatDnGEhw[/media]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
suitable GP relay replacements have been posted in many threads. ST-85 and GP109 come to mind off the top of my head. Do a general search for those and see what you find, if you need more info.

The GP relay is a 12v relay with isolated coil (not grounded by it's mount).

The stock cucv gp controller card switches the ground/light blue wire(to the relay coil) to activate the GP relay.

The gp relay may be the cause of your noise, but it is not the cause of your starter not functioning.

I say you need to remove your starter and bench test it.

hoss0311

i had the batteries load tested and one was bad i got a new one and it still does the same thing. so tonight i am going to take off the starter and have it bench tested. i cleaned all the terminals on the gpr and it stopped making that noise.