• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help please

sloryd

I am trying to check the cam timiing on an MEP003 and I am confused on the number 1 cylinder. TM indicates the number 1 is located next to the blower. If that is the case the cam/crank timing marks indicate they are set on the number 4 cylinder.

I am confused TM only reference the number 1 in the injection timing as next to the blower. In the cam/crank timing it only references the number 1 cylinder but not as next to the blower.

to check the PC mark TM indicates measuring the piston travel utilizing the exhaust valve on the number 1 cylinder. The figure showning how to do this is on the number 4 cylinder.

thanks

PeterD

Cylinder #1 is defined as the cylinder with the rod 'front-most' on the crank. Front-most means the end opposite the flywheel or output flange. Cylinders are always numbered in the order that the rods are on the crank.

Note: front of engine can be the end nearest the firewall, as an example a Saab classic 900 has the engine mounted backwards, with the flywheel near the radiator, and the alternator, A/C compressor, belts and stuff next to the firewall! Non-Saab mechanics often leave the area muttering "WTF?"! :grin:

milbri09

Ok so to check the timing of your engine. The timing indicator on this enging is visible on the flywheel/generator end. From the injection pump side of the engine look through the small hole with the needle thru the center of it. Turn the engine over and you fill find two marks on the flywheel. One will be " BC" the other will be " PC". Now take the valve cover off of the first or non gen end. With the pointer on the PC mark see if both rocker arms are loose on the front most cylinder. If not rotate the engine 360 degrees and check again. They should both be loose, this wil be number one top dead center compression. Another way to check it is to remove the screw on the left side of the injection pump and slide a 1/8" drill bit backwards into the pump. While applying slight pressure to the end of the drill bit have a friend rotate the engine until it "falls" to a groove. But be sure to turn the enging over very slow when you do this so you do not damage the pump. If you need anymore info on this PM me