• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please

wsmayeux

Alternator woes

Alright so,
Last week i brought home a 1984 m923a from gl in Tacoma. On the way home, i noticed that the volt gage was reading in the yellow. Huh... A little further down the road, the fuel and water gages started jumping like mad...... Now i new the batts were prob junk as i had to have it jump started there. So, i swung into wally world to pick up some batteries on the way home. i removed the old, had them tested. Two dead, Two weak. replaced batteries and started......Fires right up and .......gage in the yellow. i begin my inspection of wiring and find that the batt wire on the alt is fried at the connection. Well at the end of the wire because it was BURNED OFF. it appears that the wire shorted to the cover at some time. Looked to be awhile ago. So no prob i thought ill just fix the wire....got home fixed the wire and no go. still not charging. cjhecked voltage at terminal read batt voltage 23 volts. So with a little investigation i found that the voltage regulator was fried also. Ordered a regulator....waited impatiently for the ups man. Today the regulator arrived. I quickly installed it, reinstalled the alt and.........no go again!!!!!!! Dang. I then removed the alt again ang began further inspection. what i found was that the rotor windings are burn up also. If you look in the alt with a flashlight you can see them.... toast. dang.... Soooo does anybody know how much an alt rebuild costs????? Anyone in the Tacoma/washington area know of any good rebuilders? I alread found a 24 volt delco 1 wire for around 100 bills, but i just got this brand new regulator and id like to be able to utilize it one day, so i dont know if i wanna go the delco route. at least if i replace it with stock ill have a spare part..... please, any help would be great...i just wanna get out and drive this thing........ A couple of years ago i had a m35a2 when i lived in va. But alas we had to part when i moved to washington, so im really itchin to get this baby on the road and start playin. Its like therapy i think....good for the soul.
please help this desperate mv'er
Bill

wsmayeux

alternator

Alright so,
Last week i brought home a 1984 m923a from gl in Tacoma. On the way home, i noticed that the volt gage was reading in the yellow. Huh... A little further down the road, the fuel and water gages started jumping like mad...... Now i new the batts were prob junk as i had to have it jump started there. So, i swung into wally world to pick up some batteries on the way home. i removed the old, had them tested. Two dead, Two weak. replaced batteries and started......Fires right up and .......gage in the yellow. i begin my inspection of wiring and find that the batt wire on the alt is fried at the connection. Well at the end of the wire because it was BURNED OFF. it appears that the wire shorted to the cover at some time. Looked to be awhile ago. So no prob i thought ill just fix the wire....got home fixed the wire and no go. still not charging. cjhecked voltage at terminal read batt voltage 23 volts. So with a little investigation i found that the voltage regulator was fried also. Ordered a regulator....waited impatiently for the ups man. Today the regulator arrived. I quickly installed it, reinstalled the alt and.........no go again!!!!!!! Dang. I then removed the alt again ang began further inspection. what i found was that the rotor windings are burn up also. If you look in the alt with a flashlight you can see them.... toast. dang.... Soooo does anybody know how much an alt rebuild costs????? Anyone in the Tacoma/washington area know of any good rebuilders? I alread found a 24 volt delco 1 wire for around 100 bills, but i just got this brand new regulator and id like to be able to utilize it one day, so i dont know if i wanna go the delco route. at least if i replace it with stock ill have a spare part..... please, any help would be great...i just wanna get out and drive this thing........ A couple of years ago i had a m35a2 when i lived in va. But alas we had to part when i moved to washington, so im really itchin to get this baby on the road and start playin. Its like therapy i think....good for the soul.
please help this desperate mv'er
Bill
ps...i know this is a five ton, but i thought it might be relevent since they use the same alt.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The electrical system is a symptom of deferred maintenance, and that its not "street ready". The rest of the truck needs to be serviced, especially the brakes, to insure safe operation.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck and welcome to the site.

Do you have part numbers? Different alternators take different regulators.
Meanwhile, make sure you put a charger on your new batteries, don't let them sit at less than full charge for long.

wsucougarx

Goto Brad's yard in McKenna, WA. He's got about 25 alternators sitting on a pallet. All checked and ready to go. He uses a Boeing engineer to go through his alternators. They are all used and NOT rebuilds. He only charges around 125 or so plus your old alternator.

goodguyzy

This is a very common problem. All military trucks sit and sit. The battery gets drained down or low and when the truck is started the alternator gets overworked. The alternators are the same in all newer 2 1/2 tons including m35a3 and "newer" 5 tons up to 900 series. I had one fry on my A3 right after I bought it and took it into a local shop that said they could rebuilt it for $700. I ended up buying a new SAW from eriks, it was pricey but I now it is new and a fresh start. Also put in new interstate 6tl's. Good luck, hope to see you at some PNW rallies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The title HELP PLEASE is the same as 911, somebody is in trouble, the title should be something like , my 5t alt. seems to have a problem NOT yell HELP, also this helps search

dmetalmiki

WS>>>

Why the 100s of bucks to fit an over the top alternator?, Do you have machine shop/ 30 radios in back? no?..ok, well if not..chuck ANY 24 volt Single wire (to charge the batteries ONLY! ) Alternator ( from ye'r LOCAL scrap yard!) On your truck. I have single wire 24 volt alternators on MY KRAZ and two M series trucks., Cost? 25 quids EACH! (£25!) Go for it. ....(who the hecks gonn'a look under the bonnet (hood) anyway to say "oh , that's not orriginal!"

wsmayeux

Just to update....I contacted brad in mckenna and will be getting a mother alt from him on ties....thanks to all who actually had constructive things to add to the post. As to the others maybe you guys should come up with some other ways to fill your day instead of lurking on this site just to criticize people and there posts. Its really a turnoff to new people in the hobby. Ill keep you posted in how things turn out on tuesday.
thanks again
bill

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to update....I contacted brad in mckenna and will be getting a mother alt from him on ties....thanks to all who actually had constructive things to add to the post. As to the others maybe you guys should come up with some other ways to fill your day instead of lurking on this site just to criticize people and there posts. Its really a turnoff to new people in the hobby. Ill keep you posted in how things turn out on tuesday.
thanks again
bill
I don't think the intention was to criticize you, more to guide you on the forum. Titles not relevant to the subject water down the search function greatly. We are trying to reserve the "911" and "Help" titles for those folks in dire straits via either mechanical breakdowns on the road or stuckage. So while you may think its criticizm, they are filling their days trying to help you and by doing that, it improve the efficiency of this valuable forum. I hope that seeing it from that perspective that you can appreciate their help.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers and congrats on a nice truck.

salvorone@aol.com

there was a guy in town that went on a trip several states away , posted help needed , the response was overwelming . had 5 sc members working on his truck , as grandma used to say, dont wear your heart on your shirtsleeve , keep on trucking :driver:

wsucougarx

thanks again
bill
Glad Brad worked out for you. Yah, there are a few salty experienced guys in here. They mean well.

wsucougarx

Why the 100s of bucks to fit an over the top alternator?, Do you have machine shop/ 30 radios in back? no?..ok, well if not..chuck ANY 24 volt Single wire (to charge the batteries ONLY! ) Alternator ( from ye'r LOCAL scrap yard!) On your truck. I have single wire 24 volt alternators on MY KRAZ and two M series trucks., Cost? 25 quids EACH! (£25!) Go for it. ....(who the hecks gonn'a look under the bonnet (hood) anyway to say "oh , that's not orriginal!"
:cookoo::cookoo:
Uh, I care whats under the hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks