• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help - Reasons for 803A no power to output terminals but power at 10A receptacles

jimbo913

Power is out and finally have a chance to prove the purchases to the 1st lady but no go. I can only get power at the 10A receptacles. I am probably not thinking clear so let me know what I am missing.

jimbo913

I did store it with switch in "normal" so the wife could start it while I was away. Other than that all I did was add the MOV per the instructions on this site.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes - the AC interrupter switch must be toggled to the CLOSE position after each time it's started to enable power to the output terminals.
The 10A convenience outlet always has power regardless of the interrupter state.

Any fault lights on after you start it or after you attempt to close the contactor?

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for simple checks...

1) If you HOLD the contactor switch in the CLOSE position do you get any power from the output terminals?

If holding the switch in the CLOSE position makes power at the output terminals then SKIP the following checks.

If you have a voltmeter you can check for ~24 volts DC on the diagnostic connector pin V.
If there is no voltage at diagnostic connector pin V then check for voltage at diagnostic connector pin K.
It should have voltage there after the generator is started. Pin V is the test point for the +24 going to the contactor coil.

Last edited:

jimbo913

Ok, I restarted again and momentarily held contactor closed and no power to output terminals. I then messed with the light reset above the contactor switch and did not notice any change in the light when I went from contactor closed to open. No fault lights on panel throughout any of this.

Then I held contactor closed again and now I have power at the outputs. I restarted and had no power at outputs so I held contactor closed and had power so it seems to be working, which is wonderful but I am a bit concerned that I don't know what fixed it. Are these switches quirky? Do you have to hold them for several seconds? I wouldn't think that the reset of the light would fix the problem but I don't know enough about circuitry to be sure.

Thanks

jimbo913

Is there a way to eliminate that AC interuption switch in an emergency? Since it is a momentary switch I doubt one can just connect the two incoming wires together?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressing the lights is only a self test of the bulb. It does not "reset" anything.

Normally you should only have to toggle the interrupter switch to the CLOSE position for a moment for the contactor to latch closed.
Could be an intermittent connection somewhere, a flakey contact in a number of relays, a loose relay, an intermittent connection inside S7 (the contactor control switch), corrosion in the K1 contactor, or possible other issues.

Glad it's outputting power for you!

There are ways to "hotwire" it but due to potential liability issues I would not want to publish the methods as it would defeat many of the safety systems in the generator which could put you and your loved ones at risk.

Last edited: