• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help starting 5 ton in DC for $100 cash

NightOwl

I'm a new M813 owner looking for help starting my truck. I'm willing to pay cash for help.

I just bought this M813A1 a few days ago. I drove it home and drove it again the next night in the deep snow. Now, it won't start.

It cranks and I get smoke when it's cranking. I'm trying not to burn out the starter. I don't think I pulled the engine kill lever. This is the Cummins DHC 250. It sounds like the batteries are weak, but my other truck is in the shop so I need to get this truck running. I'm guessing the seller just charged up the batteries to get the truck sold. I'm staying at a friend's house in DC so I don't have any tools here.

The truck is sitting at the corner of Mathewson Dr NW and Blagden Ave in DC in the snow. The batteries are facing the yard so walking through deep snow is required to check the batteries.

I'm new to this truck, but it doesn't feel like my primer pump works and the gauge doesn't move. The pre-heater light comes on, but I'm not sure if that is helping.

And, by the way, how do I temporarily unplug the low air buzzer so I can hear the engine. Sorry for the beginner questions. Thanks, Kevin 301-602-6640 :jumpin:

greenjeepster

I am not familiar with that truck, but I can throw out some ideas.
Make sure the fuel cut off did not freeze in the closed position.
Physically look in the tank and make sure it has fuel.
Can you hear the fuel pump running when the power is turned on?
Did some kids dump snow in the fuel tank over night?
Check your filters for gelling (replace while you have them off)
Water separator may need to be changed (if it has one)
See if she will fire with a hit of ether.
Check that your ground did not get knocked loose.

I think it has to do with water because of the snow you were running in...maybe got too much moisture in the intake.

If I was closer I would be there:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No electric fuel pump on the 5 tons with 250s

They are horribly cold blooded engines and you have to have 4 well charged batteries to even think about getting it started below 50 or so.

If I was closer I'd run over there and lend you hand for free.

CMSGT

You can unplug the buzzer easily, its in the middle mounted to the firewall behind the dash. I use a block heater on mine and of course follow the cold starting instructions, it takes a while but she always starts. Theres also the ether way though thats a last resort. Nothign will work unless you get your batteries charged up.

Open your hood and make sure your emergency fuel shut off is pushed forward/toward the front of the truck. This will be located on top of the injection pump and will have a wire connected to it (or should have!)

The M813's don't have as many problems with fuel line air sucking problems like the M818's with dual tanks so hopefully this isn't your issue.

If you have a jumper cable you can jump each battery individually for a little bit (make sure to unhook them so they aren't 24v/in series) Give it a snort of ether so you don't drain on your batteries.

The air buzzer is located on the firewall close to the gearshift lever. You will have a wire going out the top of it. Pull the wire and no more air buzzer. I'd plug it in after you get it running though.

You should have a good smoke cloud coming out of the stack when cranking if the fuel is on.

Andy

dittle

You need to start reading TMs before you do anything else with that truck. Someone could get hurt or killed with your lack of knowledge on a truck this big. Not trying to be a jerk, but its the truth.

NightOwl

I got the hood up and the emergency fuel shutoff is all the way forward. I have 3/4 tank of fuel.

Since it was starting and running fine, I'm guessing it's low batteries or the cold weather. I don't want to use starter fluid.
I might just bite the bullet and get new batteries (I'm open to recommendations), but standing in 2 feet of snow changing batteries also sounds like a bad idea.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll get the buzzer unhooked so I can hear the engine a little better. If it were my H1 diesel, then I would know what sounds normal and what doesn't.

jimmcld

Bring it down here to Texas and it will probably start right up.

If your primer is not working, you will probably need to warm it up some and give it a jump. If you have a portable heater and some slave cables, your in business, if you have another MV to jump it from.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I broke down and just purchased new batteries for my truck when it had trouble.

Paid about $100 each for commercial batteries since I'm not a purist. Only two since I have a Deuce and not an 813.

New batteries and a way to warm her up should work. During the day the temps out her were around 32F so I would think it would start okay.

sw

gunit

if you can get the batteries out and charge them i would have them checked first. alot of places do it for free. and make sure all power is off, a light or switch left on can suck a battery down over night easily, especially in the cold

CMSGT

These are the batteries I put in my truck and it gets pretty cold in Utah.

Batteries: I had the military 6TMF but hey got weak and I decided to replace them, rather than spend $200.00 a piece (x4) I went with 2 centinnial C-8DH they are rated for 1400CCA so they are pretty close to the capacity of the originals and they are 1/2 the price. They are large so you only need 2 and they fit in the battery box thought the top holder had to be modified. They worked excellent even when my truck was cold up in the mountains.

saquishmike

Don't be afraid of starting fluid just don't go crazy with it . Check things in order first charge up the batteries, next if it ran the other day it is something stupid did any snow get in the air intake and freeze and now it won't breath? Did the fuel gel? crack a line or open the drain on the fuel filter is it flowing?Is there smoke coming out the stack when you crank it , if so what color? check the emergency shut off level on top of the pump is it all the way foward. If this are all okay with strong batts give it a good shoot of either and pump up the fuel primer while cranking. Good luck hope it works for you. Maybe some one smarter than me can tell you about the regular electric shut off and how that works that might be broken and not letting fuel flow

13 MIKE

Yes, don't be scared of ether, just spray for a second. I ethered my 813 today, and have every time i've started it under 40 degrees.

Batteries were a little low, but she fired up fine.

There is a reason why it's called "starting fluid".

area52

You can also try a small propane torch aimed at the air intake to warm up the incoming air and that will help a little. Make sure the glow plug is hooked up to 12V only, not 24V, otherwise its probably fried. If you are not getting the fuel pressure gauge to show any pressure when pumping the hand pump, then its doing no good for a cold start. Does it feel firm after a few pumps?

ida34

Are you kidding me? I wish I could find a M813 for $100. Did you have a gun in your hand when you made the deal? Check out TM 9-2320-260-20, TM 9-2320-260-34-1, and TM 9-2320-260-34-2. The will have a troubleshooting guide that will tell you step by step what to do if it does not start. The manuals are available by looking at the tab at the top of the page marked Resources. Look at the Technical manuals section and when you get to the other page that opens look for the manuals listed above. They are in PDF form and after they download you can save them for future use.

stampy

Lots of ways to start her...A) do you have a hair drier? Stick it under the hood someplace safe where there is no chance it will ignite anything and let run for 15-30 min on hot (cheap preheater). Try to start after removing hairdrier. If no start, I have seen people get a rag that has been soaked in gas...and squeezed out so you just get vapors and put it over the air intake when trying to start...I have personally seen both of these work...even with low batteries