• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! Starting problems... see video

landry1

Okay since we have got this truck we have had starting problems when it firsts starts up OR sits for awhile. We recently replaced the fuel pump becuase we thought it wasnt getting enough fuel, which it was. We ended up putting a new fuel pump in from a 6.5 diesel. The problem has gotten better but like seen in the video, it runs for a couple of seconds then dies. What has gotten better is that once it dies, to start it up again its not as bad to crank it over by giving it fuel. So we are now thinkin that the injection pump need to be rebuilt. please watch the video and tell me what you think. thankyou!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGa_T245As[/media]

Screamin' Metal

Lets do the simple first....
1. Check your fuel filter
2. Be sure your starter is turning over with aithority
3. Besure you have fuel in the tank
4. Air needs priming from the fuel sustem......sucking air at the fuel fllter
5. Be sure theres no water in your diesel.....some filters will restrict flow when water is absorbed.....a safety feature to keep you from trashing your injectors and IP.....

All the simple stuff being said....now lets check....
1. Look for leaks around the throttle shaft at the IP.....theres orings at the shaft.....if it leaks diesel.....it can suck air
2. Be sure the voltage to the fuel selinoid isn't terminated after you release the key switch from the start position......engine startes......

Take your time....sit down with the TM and take your time....do it by the *'s and the culprit should show itself fairly quickly......

lavarok

D10

there was a thread on here the other day about something like this. he said something about a air leak at the fuel filter maybe do a search for that thread it was recent hope it helps

agood1

Check for leaking injector or return lines. I had the same issue on a 6.9L ford motor. I snugged up the injector lines on the pump and at the injectors and it cleared up.

SmokeyDod

I first noticed that you seemed to be low on fuel per your guage . If for some reason it is so low that the fuel pick up in the tank may not be picking it up. If your float it tank may be a little off you may just now have enough fuel. First I would add 2-5gals so as to eliminate that. Does the truck stay running AFTER you get it cranked? If it don't, I suggest cking to see if air is in line by bleeding the stanadyne fuel filter as stated many times here. If that don't work, you need to check to see if you are getting fuel up to your filter. If not, see if fuel is getting to your fuel pump (on lower front of engine). If not enough fuel there, then yours may be what I just went thru last week where I had to pull fuel tank & find the sock completely clogged & have to clean it and the inside of tank. ALSO based on what I heard on your video, sounded like your batterieswere VERY weak and were not turning your engine as fast as they should.

jimmy-90

It sounds like air in the lines to me. Probly at the fuel filter base. I just corrected that problem on my M1028 by converting it to a RACOR spin on filter. One of my 6.2 books says that the GM model 80 fuel filter was defective and that GM made a new seal kit for it to stop the thing from getting air in it (P/N15529641). I called the GM dealer in town and asked about it and he said they discontinued it.Is the 6.5L fuel pump you installed an electric one and did you mount it back near the fuel tank? If so at least for now you'll have an easier time primeing it when you bleed the air out everytime you go to start it.

Screamin' Metal

Probably as Jimmy-90 said....air leak, also....check to make sure the solenoid wire to the injector pump stays hot after the engine starts....I have seen these act up at times....

Screamin' Metal

Oh, before I forget....because of age and resistance within the system of a 20+ year old fuel system, the guage usually isn't very dependable.....when the fueling convoy shows up every so many miles....you usually top off....if on manuivers and going down the road....you usually write the milage down and go by that....the motorpool guys just crank it, warm it up and check it out, then shut her down agian.
In any case, make sure you have diesel in the tank. I've seen countless vechiles stranded because of something simple.
On these trucks....They are good and dependable, but when a problem arises, don't take anything for granted....check her out right!

Jerrycans, anyone???:p

YellowHammer

I'd be willing to bet that it's a cracked fuel pressure switch in your fuel filter base. Mine had exactly the same problem. You can't get the part through GM or NAPA, but Saturn Surplus has them. It's only about $10. If you can come across another filter base, you can swap the whole thing out and even if it's something else; it would likely cure your problem because 95% of fuel delivery problems seem to come from the Stanodyne set-up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks