• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Stuck!! Trying to help came back to bite me!

Jeez, I read this whole thing and I am glad I did. I specifically got my Deuce with winch because here in South Louisiana, it's a necessity. The only access to a small plot of land my family owns is a pipeline right of way. And knowing how bad those ROW's get in winter, there was no way I was gonna go out there without a winch.

Went out there not long ago in my old CJ and that was bad enough, almost got stuck. But there is a world of difference getting a little Jeep out compared to a 13500 lb truck.

I need more accessories like snatch blocks and mats before taking any chances. Oh, and getting the recovery manual also.

LC

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeez, I read this whole thing and I am glad I did. I specifically got my Deuce with winch because here in South Louisiana, it's a necessity. The only access to a small plot of land my family owns is a pipeline right of way. And knowing how bad those ROW's get in winter, there was no way I was gonna go out there without a winch.

Went out there not long ago in my old CJ and that was bad enough, almost got stuck. But there is a world of difference getting a little Jeep out compared to a 13500 lb truck.

I need more accessories like snatch blocks and mats before taking any chances. Oh, and getting the recovery manual also.

LC
You need ALL that and a few good friends you can trust. Smart friends. Not the "Hey watch this chit" friends like we all have.

Even with all the correct gear and knowledge to use it, it's tough to get unstuck alone.

PropDr

I should have checked my text messages before my computer - word is he is out.

That's all I know. Well that and I got up early on a day off to go up there, but that's all I know.
Yeah Its out. Got it to claw its way out under its own power around 10:30pm last night. Sorry no video, my other buddy that lives down the road did take some stills. I will get them uploaded soon. I had no idea your were going to drive out, thanks. The plan was to post last night but I fell a sleep right after I sent a text to Phil (Barneyszoo) saying it was out.

Fyi If anyone within a reasonable distance needs to barrow my sand ladders in the future just send me a PM.

I will also post some pics on how I used my tow bar as the "A" frame and chains to lift the truck 2 feet in the air to put the wood bridge plates under the truck.[thumbzup]

Thanks for the great input everybody!

Last edited:

oldMan99

Well... it appears that he is out... out is good... [thumbzup]

No pics or VIDEO of the effort is not good, not good at all..:(:(

What do you mean by floating anchor? Something like this:

View attachment 221069
This appears to be a still pic of a trailer recovery in that it was likely on it's side and they were standing it back up on it's wheels. does not look like there is anything to do with anchoring here.

Or do you mean running the line through multiple snatch blocks located along the bumpers of both vehicles?

If it's the latter, the total force pulling (on both vehicles towards the center of the system) is going the be the tension in the cable multiplied by the number of individual runs between the two vehicles. That would be the same as using a multiple-pulley snatch block like in a mechanical engine hoist, simply spreading the individual pulleys out.

Here's an interesting class for S. Cal. people interested in recovery techniques:

The Adventure Duo: Brushing up on Recovery

Winch & Recovery Clinic

The guy purposely gets your vehicle stuck & shows you how to recover it using various methods.

Yes, that is it exactly. The more different vehicles you have as anchor points for your snatch blocks the less each vehicle is going to have to actually "anchor" so the less chance that your anchors move instead of your load (Stuck vehicle). You also have more tires on the ground held there by more weight (Each truck on it's own tires supporting it's own weight) so your effective anchor is much more effective than is all blocks were on 1 vehicle. It also spreads out the stress on more than 1 vehicle.

Also, yes, each block increases the effective pulling power applied to the load.

Ideally, you would have a multiple path snatch block, (like on the end of a crane where they have 3 or more, (sometimes 10+) runs back and forth. ). Of course you need a matching block on the other end. To take full advantage of this your anchor needs to be several times heavier and far better anchored than the stuck vehicle or your only going to succeed in moving the anchor. An 8 or 10 wheel water truck holding several thousand gallons of water to give the max legal road weight of (I believe 80,000 pounds or thereabouts) with all tires aired down very low and wheel chocks on all wheels and a 45k winch and 2 blocks that you could make 3 or 4 runs in and you could un-stuck any 5 ton truck from about anything and probably 1/2 of the field it was stuck in.

Lacking access to a suitable water truck or crane, (See the video below) your best bet is the largest truck you can find with the largest winch you can find, several other large trucks, several individual snatch blocks and LOTS of cable because using snatch blocks eats up cable in a big hurry. Of course pre-digging it out and mats of some kind would not hurt at all either.

That class sounds like a lot of fun and should be a "Must do" for anybody w/o the proper training.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zKhb7cDu0Y&feature=related[/media]

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that video is the best arguement for the need to air your tires down in sand ive ever seen
I did a tour at PMRF Barking Sands on the island of KAUAI in the mid 90s. My base housing was less than 2 minutes from back door to standing in the ocean. The base was not fenced there and locals would often get stuck in the sand and wander illegally into base housing looking for help.

I had a 72 Blazer 4 x4 on 32 inch BFG ATs (no lift required) and so they often would end up at my house offering beer, money, begging, etc.

The 1st thing I would ask is - Did you air down yet? If they said no I would hand them a 99 cent tire pressure gauge and tell them to air down to 8-10 psi. Most would ask if they could air back up on base and were upset when I said no (the nearest gas station with air was a long way away from the beach behind my house).

I would tell them they were stuck and dealing with tides - air down and get out. Worry about airing up later.

I probably pulled 20-25 vehicles out even after they aired down in my 3 years there. More than double that got out on their own (and always stole my TP gauge)

My daughter who was only 9 at the time would know to tell them to air down when she saw them stuck.

Last edited:

oldMan99

I did a tour a PMRF Barking Sands on the island of Kauai in the mid 90s. My base housing was less than 2 minutes from back door to standing in the ocean. The base was not fenced there and locals would often get stuck in the sand and wander illegally into base housing looking for help.

I had a 72 Blazer 4 x4 on 32 inch BFG ATs (no lift required) and so they often would end up at my house offering beer, money, begging, etc.

The 1st thing I would ask is - Did you air down yet? If they said no I would hand them a 99 cent tire pressure gauge and tell them to air down to 8-10 psi. Most would ask if they could air back up on base and were upset when I said no (the nearest gas station with air was a long way away from the beach behind my house).

I would tell them they were stuck and dealing with tides - air down and get out. Worry about airing up later.

I probably pulled 20-25 vehicles out even after they aired down in my 3 years there. More than double that got out on their own (and always stole mt TP gauge)

My daughter who was only 9 at the time would know to tell them to air down when she saw them stuck.
I can just picture "Mr. Macho" with the stuck $30,000 "Go anywhere 4x4" stuck in the sand, the girl he was trying to impress is all pissed off, he is all pissed of and here comes some kid, a girl kid, a NINE YEAR OLD GIRL KID to tell him how to get unstuck.....

I would have loved to seen that!! :-D[thumbzup]:-D[thumbzup]:-D

Even better is when the kids dad says, "Well, did you do it? .... Why not??" :jumpin:

Bigfry78

Still a good read. I will gather up some pics I have. Ima crane operator on a Grove 5120b All terrain. We have gotten several rigs including mine buried in jobsites and remote fields. My crane has 5 independent axles, 4 of which pull with inter axle locks and diff locks. When it's buried, it's buried. 140,000 lbs without the additional counterweight. Things go bad fast. I have a few vids of me using the Grove to drag around a 65ton P&H crane in the mud. I can't wait till my personal rigs done. I got a XM-816 bed(17000 lbs). 500 bucks, with a full acetaline bottle too. Had to replace a cv joint, but so far so good. Mounted it on a 78 C-65. Getting the proper pto is my current issue.

emr

:driver: Well almost all of us have been stuck,some stucker than others, U now join the ranks of the " My truck was more stuck than yours club :)""" Great Job getting it out, there was some great advise, no one hurt means it was a good day period, Thanks for the read ... :) :driver:

Josh

The best part of getting stuck is having the awesome story that comes from it. I remember each and every stuck/recovery offroad I've ever been apart of it. One of the funnest wheeling trips I've ever been involved every single truck in our group being stuck less then 300 yards from where we started. At the time it sucked, but looking back it was one of the best times Ive had, and you can really tell who your friends are or not.:grd:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever happened to the pictures? or may they be found by some archaeologist a thousand years from now.

Last edited:

PropDr

What ever happened to the pictures? or are found by some archaeologist a thousand years from now.
My buddy never got around to downloading them off of his phone. The pictures I took with my old film camera are on page 5.

I think SS Member Barnyszoo also took some pics or video but I never got a copy.

supermechanic

I came upon this thread late, I would suggest the use of a few bags of burnt lime to stiffen the mud.
Stuff works like magic.
Old farmer showed this to me years ago, it really works well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks