• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, threw rod and stuck in Rock Creek WY

clpo

Anyone near Rock Creek that could help with a down deuce? Need a safe place to park and help loading / transport to Ogden UT or Twin Falls ID. Had an instance of connecting rod vs engine block.

Alredneck

Banned
As for safe ( safer ) places to park. I prefer rest areas and truck stops. If you cant find one near ya then next places are church parking lots, reason ussually have ample parking ability, most folks dont care if you are there as long as there is no service about to begin. When was the last time a church was robbed? It happens, yes, but not very often.

Snarky

Man, this is the second or third deuce I've seen lately with a giant hole in the side of the engine... Making me a little worried....

Blood_of_Tyrants

As has been discussed before, the multifuel has many problems in longevity and ruggedness. Swap it out for a good used International or Cummins out of a school bus.

Snarky

I just bought a transmission from Boyce, it came quickly, and was flawless, I would recommend them for your heavier parts, they price reasonable as far as I can tell.

stumps

What had you been doing with your deuce when it broke? How fast was the engine turning? What gear? Up hill/down hill? Stuff like that. Have you ever exceeded 2600 rpm? Lugged the engine hard?

In a White/Oliver tractor the same multifuel engine is considered to be a highly reliable tractor engine.... Of course in the tractor it is run governed all the time. It is unlikely to ever be spun too fast.

-Chuck

ETHOS

seems like a couple too many multi's popping lately..... definitely scary

so what is the main cause? rod/bearing failure?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain brother, being left on the side of the road so far from home is not a fun adventure. :cry: There is a reason they had so many wreckers in service! :twisted:

Everyone who drives one of these trucks a lot should think and plan ahead about what they would do if/when it happens to you. In my case, I discovered that at least one truck wrecker service does not accept credit cards or checks - CASH ONLY!

stumps

seems like a couple too many multi's popping lately..... definitely scary

so what is the main cause? rod/bearing failure?
In my experience, there are only two significant causes of rod failure. Both are frequently the result of abuse:

The first happens when you run the engine out of oil, or oil pressure. The rod bearing will seize and lock itself tightly to the crankshaft causing the rod to shatter from the bending load of the crank trying to push the rod sideways.

The second happens when you over speed the engine. In this case, the extreme force required to reverse the direction of the very heavy multifuel piston quickly, causes the rod cap to stretch. This opens the bearing tolerances to a degree that exceeds the oil pump's ability to fill the bearing space with a cushion of oil, and this newfound sloppiness in the bearing allows the crankshaft to hammer the cap (like a blacksmith) until the cap breaks open and allows piston to drop down. When the piston drops down, it, and or the rod, will get jambed between the moving crankshaft and the crankcase wall.

If the OP was tooling down the highway at an indicated speed of 60MPH, he was over speeding the engine, and could easily have caused the second type of failure. If he has an engine that burns or leaks significant oil, and the sump ran dry, or the oil pump failed, or the oil was old and clogged passageways, the first type of failure is likely.

It is interesting to us to know what was being done to the deuce up to the point of failure. It might save another deuce's engine.

-Chuck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others have said, Please post the speed and RPM you were running when the rod came loose. I'd also like to know what brand engine it was to see if some brands are more prone to this than others.

wsucougarx

Uh yah Snarky, I was beginning to think about the same thing. I'm just curious, are these rebuilds that are having these troubles or original engines? I know it probably doesn't make any difference but just curious. Plus how many miles did you have on this motor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks