• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help troubleshoot not starting

Adultlyf

Hi all. Yesterday went into gas station w the m998 idling , came back out to it not running. Started it back, hesitated but started, sputtered about 200 feet and shut off again. Towed home. So far , clean filter, half a tank of fuel or more, and has fuel coming out at the water separator drain with valve open and turning over starter.
Prior to this incident , the truck ran and started perfectly , barely had to bump the key to start.
IP going out? Help

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check getting 24 volts to the IP solenoid. IP needs rebuilt every 10 years roughly. Plastic parts inside crack.

papakb

The 24 volts NDT is talking about is on the #54 wire to top of the injector pump. This powers up when the RUN-START switch is put into RUN and opens the fuel solenoid inside the IP that allows the fuel to flow. This is also what shuts the truck down when you turn the switch off. That solenoid is under the top cover of the IP and is known to cause problems. When the switch is moved to RUN you should hear a distinct click from it actuating.

Reactions: NDT

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Lots of things to consider. Thinking aloud here. Having shut itself down when leaving the gas station... Humv gremlins are always watching. Did you not get a Red Bull for it too? Just kidding. Thinking that you were able to get it started for the last 200 feet? MY guess is solenoid turned on and allowed fuel and ran out the IP bowl. (guessing) Wire could have fallen off too ? Maybe clogged tank vent? And the list goes on.....

Jump in and make some tests, working in a logical progression, process of elimination. Watch out going in circles. (you guys know this stuff... so no pulling out any hair)

fedbecb77b697ac864062bbeee5eabf9.jpg

First line says it all here. Here's a free link to get one started>

https://gear-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/HMMWV A1 Troubleshooting.pdf

Fuel control or flow. Pressure gauge and mulitmeter in hand, CAMO

Any guessing on my part is free and your results will vary.

Last edited:

Adultlyf

Where are you? I am in Bay Minette. No power since 9 last night. Using the MEP 803 sparingly.
Daphne , feel free to swing by and help me trouble shoot.
I removed what I believe to be the fuel return line, (the rubber hose connected to the steel line), and turned the truck over, and it started up after about 10 seconds of cranking , and idled ok, and fuel flowed out of the return line. I’m hoping I just need to blow air through the rubber return tank line, waiting on new air compressor to be delivered any day now.

fpchief

Daphne , feel free to swing by and help me trouble shoot.
I removed what I believe to be the fuel return line, (the rubber hose connected to the steel line), and turned the truck over, and it started up after about 10 seconds of cranking , and idled ok, and fuel flowed out of the return line. I’m hoping I just need to blow air through the rubber return tank line, waiting on new air compressor to be delivered any day now.
Did you get things going? Pm me your cell, I may be down there this weekend sometime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks