• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help us get him in the truck!!!

AmericanSteelWmn

The short story...My husband, Bryant, is in a wheelchair, (paraplegic, and single amputee) I need ideas that will help us get him into the M35. A hoist of some sort.
:idea: :idea: :idea:

gunboy1656 gave me this idea in another post....

Just a thought,I am sure someone can finish my thought, but can a davit for a tire on a 5 ton work as a hoist to lift you husband in the truck? as in mount the davit where the front post goes for the gun ring

I think it would be an interesting idea, plus it will keep it looking military

I am open to ideas, or additions to his.
Thanks in advance!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get him in to ride and go places and get in and out or just once in a while at a single location?

I would think the davit idea is good or any of the small pickup truck mini-cranes that swing would work mounted on the front corner of the bed.

You can always paint it to make look military.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously those devices are not inteded to lift humans, but not a bad idea. I was thinking if he just wants to go for a ride and return to the same location, you could build or have built, a wheelchair ramp to the height of the cab floor, then an extension to the edge of the cab.

tjcouch

Here's a thought . . . but it would mean some heavy cutting of the back of the cab . . . .

Obviously a hoisting a passenger in a chair into the truck would best be done from the tailgate.

Cut a "door" in the back of the cab, cut a section of the bed of the truck and the support rail, and make a ramp into the back of the cab . . .

Not sure if you can visualize that or not . . . .

lelanddunne

how about put a wheel chair lift between the cab and the duel wheels, right where the spare tire goes. cut a slot to fit, hook up power . he can get on the truck and off .. cut a door like (tjcouch) said from the back of the cab . and remove the seats thats not needed/ and install straps or tie downs to lock the wheel chair in place. and off you go!!:wink:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm for the more independent ways. A guy's gotta be able to do stuff his self.

A hoist with a swing set type seat to sit on, then send the hook back down for the chair.. than might work. Oversize it like 2500# so it is safe, and use non metallic synthetic rope. Should be some riggers or wrights here that know the kinds of rope.

have a remote on a cable, and have it sit in a metal bracket on the inside of the door near the bottom where it can be reached from the ground once the door is open.. If the handle is too high, put a rod on it or something. Just thinking of ways so he could get in and out his self.

waayfast

Maybe this is way too far ahead of ourselves BUT would it be possible to build a seat with lifting eyes that could be set on the wheel chair full time that could then be lifted by the hoist to go into the deuce.For lack of a better way to describe it---kind of like palletized loading.This way the lifting would be on the seat (pallet?) rather than on the person.The seat would stay with him whether in the wheelchair or popped into a receiver in the floor (seat frame?) of the truck.I would think the actual hoist set-up would be fairly easy and modifying the cab pretty easy too. Once he is set into position-- unhook from the "seat" then grab the wheelchair, set it in back and away we go. If the truck is a soft top I think it would be not too hard to fold the cover away and modify the bows for quick access and return to normal

OOPs wait a minute--maybe I should patent this!!:wink:

Blood_of_Tyrants

I am imagining a solid pole welded to the right front corner of the bed. The pole will have a jointed arm that will allow him to be lifted with a winch up and then swung directly into the cab. It can also be used to load the wheelchair up on the bed. Have a pin in the base pole to prevent it from swiveling when driving and spring clamps of some sort to keep the arms from swinging out when not in use.

czechsix

Can he get in and out of the wheelchair easily? Will he be able to slide from a seat into the drivers seat? Or will he have to actually drive from the wheelchair, or a modified wheelchair?

littlebob

I'm trying to figuire out what we're really trying to do here. From the information I've read, Im thinking He just wants to ride and a tommy gate would work to get a person in a wheelchair in the back if they have one that is big enough for the Deuce. As far as getting someone in the cab, a few good friends would do that.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully his wife will read some of these ideas and give us a better idea of what the end goal is. Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark.

My Mother uses a lift that is flat and she runs the wheelchair on it and then it uses an electric motor to lift and then another one swings it into the van. She runs the chair off and there are special slots in the floor that provide positive locking for the straps.

jimmcld

There are manufactured seats just for this purpose. They mount in the cab and hing out and lower down to wheel chair level so that he can just slide over into or out of his chair. The device then takes the seat back up and puts it into the drivers of passengers position.

mangus580

We have had a similar conversation to this in chat one night....

My suggestion. Was to get a canvas sling used for lifting people in/out of bed and such. use that, in combination with one of these cranes mounted in the front corner of the bed...

Hydraulic Hoist

Fold the soft top of the deuce back a little, pick him up with the sling, and swing him right into the seat. I have one of these cranes in the back corner of my deuce, and its very handy to have!.