• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, VIC-3 to non military radio

Preacher2017

Hello SS.
Does anyone know how to hook a VIC-3 intercom system to radios other than a military radios, I have Baofeng UV-82 and TRI PRC-152 (replica)
if there are other radios that are much easier, anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Preacher2017

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the exact same question.

And, I want to know how to hook up my CB to my VIC-3 but I’m still searching for that answer, I’m sure it’s been discussed.

ohaniazx

I made a cable for Preacher to hook up his TRI to the VIC-3; the only thing I can't overcome yet is the fact that you have to push PTT both on the radio as well as your handset to get the TRI to TX. Listening part isn't an issue yet. Would have to think about what is happening between the TRI and that VIC-3 box to overcome that one last item. Figuring it out is somewhat risky both to VIC-3 box as well as to the TRI as you can fry something in the process if not careful.
Oh well.. won't be the first time. My brother calls me smokey for a reason.

Z

Wire Fox

I made a cable for Preacher to hook up his TRI to the VIC-3; the only thing I can't overcome yet is the fact that you have to push PTT both on the radio as well as your handset to get the TRI to TX. Listening part isn't an issue yet. Would have to think about what is happening between the TRI and that VIC-3 box to overcome that one last item. Figuring it out is somewhat risky both to VIC-3 box as well as to the TRI as you can fry something in the process if not careful.
Oh well.. won't be the first time. My brother calls me smokey for a reason.

Z
So that means your handset isn't actually keying the radio? I know that one of biggest complains about the TRI replica radios is that while they use the same connectors, they are NOT compatible with standard military headsets and devices. I believe it was both a pinout and impedence difference. If you dig around a bit, you can find what modifications people have done in order to make them actually compatible. Typically, the handset is modified, but the radio could be modified to make it compatible with military hardware (best option, IMO).

papakb

Zee, You could build up a simple carrier detector and have that key up the PTT circuit with a simple relay. Very similar to VOX circuits but with an RF detector instead of an audio circuit. We could probably stuff one on a box like the one I used for the Racal headset power injector.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

aleigh

I've done this successfully with both VIC-1 and VIC-3 intercoms with ham radios. In general you just need to make up a cable. The biggest problem seems to be the mic output from the intercom can be hot so sometimes it's necessary to pad it for the particular radio. There is not much danger of frying anything so long as you can tell one pin from another.

ohaniazx

Vic-3 and TRI

I've done this successfully with both VIC-1 and VIC-3 intercoms with ham radios. In general you just need to make up a cable. The biggest problem seems to be the mic output from the intercom can be hot so sometimes it's necessary to pad it for the particular radio. There is not much danger of frying anything so long as you can tell one pin from another.
Are you saying you have a TRI unit connected to VIC-3? that is really the discussion not getting military units to chat with VIC-1/VIC-3. TRI has its own internal setup as FIRE FOX has indicated. I have H250 working with TRI but need to get the cable to work with Vic-3 via the a TRI input. I need to check few things.

Kurt, thanks for the note. We shall chat when we get to meet.

Z

aleigh

Not military radios but not TRI either. HAM / CB radios, civilian radios. Sorry if I was a distraction but I thought it would be applicable. I can tell you that the VIC-3 has a PTT pin on the radio interface cable and it expects inlet voltage (from the radio). It doesn't really matter what the voltage is. When it wants to transmit it will ground that pin. This lines up 1:1 with how just about every civilian radio I have seen works, but I don't know exactly what TRI has going on, you're right. I make the cables myself, custom for whatever radio.

tgejesse

Bump, looking for a solution to connect up a baofeng to Vic-3
Scratch that bought an TRI PRC-152. Hoping to build a box to connect up to Vic-3.
I bought a 2 sided 6 pin cable, a u-283 connector, an m55181/8 16 pin connector, and the proper cable (CX-13473) to connect to Vic 3. I’m going to need to build a little ‘box’ like Augi’s Vic-3 solution. 6 pin connector in, 18 pin connector out to radio.

If anyone can help with this, I’d be interested to talk. I need to find out the Vic-3 radio pinout or the cx-13473 pinout. Haven’t found either yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks