• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help w/ Unit Markings

UZISHOOTER

I am restoring my 71 AmGen Deuce to 1971 Vietnam configuration. I would like to apply unit markings from the 7 Cav Division (the GarryOwen) that fought at the Ia Drang Valley much earlier in the war. I don't even know if they were "in Country" in 71. My understanding is that they were the 1st Batallion of the 3rd Brigade of the 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Airmobile. S***, I'm confused !! Would they have had Deuces at all or would it have been a Support Division.......Ordnance Division.........Transportation Division that was connected to the Cav? My interest in accuracy to this Unit is that when I became a P.O. in 1979 outside of Chicago one of my street supervisors had seen action in the Ia Drang, a Silver Star recipient. A great guy. Any help, tips or clues would be greatly appreciated, want to get my markings ordered from Rick @ MilitaryStencils. Thanks in advance.

wsucougarx

There is a great book entitled Vietnam: Order of Battle that lists every army unit, days in theatre, companies etc. That would be the best reference to check

Southerneze

They were 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 3rd Brigade, 1st Cav. The cowboys didn't much like the Airmobile designation. They would of had some vehicles assigned to HHC units in the rear. Most heavy moving would have been a transportation unit. Like most Infantry 20 minutes flying 20 days walking. Their last unit left Aug 72. The stats came from Order of Battle.
Hope that helps.
Gary

Last edited:

AceHigh

Yes and no. The Cav was organized into several battalions, 1st of the 5th, 2nd of the 5th, 1st of the 7th, 2nd of the 7th, 1st of the 8th, 2nd of the 8th, 1st and 2nd of the 12th. Each had a Headquarters Co and 5 line companies, A, B, C, D and E. 1st and 2nd of the 7th were in Vietnam in 1971 according to the info on the Angry Skipper website, it has email addresses if you want to contact any vets:

1st Cavalry On-Line Locator, Angry Skipper page 10B-1

Also there were lots of other organizations in Artillery, Engineers and so on attached or whatever.

I was in 2nd of the 12th and was nearby to 1st and 2nd of the 7th in 1970. We had a jeep assigned to the rear of the line companies (I never rode in it- just for the supply sgt) and that was it. The battalion HHC (Headquarters Co) had a couple of deuces but they generally did not drive, just used them for a big basket to move from LZ to LZ by helicopter.

Also several mules and they were the real workhorses.

Friend of mine was with 541st TC (Transportation company) and they were assigned to the Cav. He arrived in Vietnam by ship with all new trucks and I think they were there for the duration. Our rear was at LZ Buttons and we were resupplied by the Red Ball Express but I have no idea what unit they were.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you even more!

Southernese has the description perfect- 20 minutes of airtime followed by days in the field.

Southerneze

I will jump in one more time with a link to Olive Drab, it breaks down what should go on the bumper and where. Nice example of a Cav truck on this page. Most likely several threads on SS but I had this on book marked.

Acehigh, just a little friendly ragging about the Cowboy stuff :-D I am sure you referred to us as the Screaming Chickens.
Later Gary

U.S. MILITARY VEHICLES: MARKINGS

Attachments

UZISHOOTER

If i've got this right I need bumper numbers based on the following; US Army 3rd Mobile Armored Corps; 1st Cavalry Division; 3rd Brigade; 7th Cavalry Regiment; 1st Batallion; HHC. That sound about right? Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks