• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help wanted, please identifying old WC? series truck.

DMgunn

I came across this old truck awhile back, and originally thought it to be a CCKW because of the GMC engine. But after a bit of research, I decided (by the seam above windshield and the curved grille guard) that it must be a Dodge. I assume it was originally military, or did they produce civilian equivalents during this time?

Anyway, can anyone tell the model from these poor pics? With scrap at $195/ton, many of these old finds are going to the crusher. I want to save this one if I can, for parts if nothing else.

Attachments

Jones

Wanted to say it's a Dodge, but they were flathead sixes. Maybe a Studebaker? Looks like there is some lettering on the valve cover that might be a clue.

DMgunn

The valve cover has "GMC" stamped on it - I think it must have been swapped in, as the cab looks Dodge. Curiously, the interior looks very civilian, yet there are no brand markings anywhere that I could see.

FrankUSMC

I have been collecting WWII Dodges for years.
What you have is a:
1. A WC1/2 ton Dodge 4x4
2. some one has put a Chevy motor in it.
3. the cab is off a Dodge Power wagon, look in the middle of the cab it has the window crank, the WWII half ton did not have that.
This is common for open cab trucks. The WC 1/2 ton came with a closed and open cab. After WWII was over and the trucks were sold surplus, they were bought to work with. Remember very few trucks were being sold during WWII, every thing was going to the war effert. NO ONE WANTED an open cab truck to go to work in, they were wet, and cold. So, after the war, junk yards were selling every cab off of pick ups they could get there hands on. The CCKW open cabs and the Dodge half tons are the two that I have seen this done to the most in 25 plus years of collecting.
Sorry for the long post.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Bill W

Yes it a WC 1/2ton closed cab ( as mentioned ) and its original WC closed cab not a PW cab change over ( PW cabs have only about 2" of sheet metal space between the door theshold and the running board whereas WC's have about 6-7"of metal) The WC in the DM's pic is military as it still has the blackout light setup next to the headlights like on my open cab ( WC-21) 1/2 ton had (Look at grill)

P.S. Early WC 1/2 tons had civilian guages and the windshield regulator mounted in the dash so this could be a WC-1 / 5 or even a 12

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Bill
I have a WC-1, it does not have the wind shield regulator on it, nor has any one with the correct cab I have ever seen. I have owned 3 closed cab WC 1/2s, and a couple of closed cabs (none as nice as yours!).
Could the cab be a civilain pick up or heavy truck cab, because it is not a WC cab.
On the WC-1, I have now that is almost done, it is an early one that was delievered to the National Guard. I will be at my other farm today, if I can remember I will get the date off the data plate.

FrankUSMC

DNgunn
If you can get it cheap, go for it. The windshield alone will bring you some $$ from the Power Wagon guys whpo are always looking for good whindshield frames. The cab also, stripped down of the seats and gages and doors are items again the Power Wagon guys are after.
The WC parts on it, the early head light buckets with the marker lights on them are good items to sell. Sadly half ton drive trains are very plentiful. Fenders are also good to sell. The one item I need you do not have, I need a good hood for mine as mine has some dents in it.

Bill W

Frank
The dash looks identical to the picture I have of early WC ( Dodge Mil Vehicles Collection 1) BUT I now noticed that DM's Dodge has hanging pedals where the WC has floor mountd ones which is strange because if I remember right even PWs have floor pedals Hmmmm

Jones

Sounds like someone's early custom. Dodge kept a model (WM 300) of the military trucks for the civilian market up into the 60s if I remember right. Could be a combination of civilian and military with a dash of whatever was on hand.

FrankUSMC

RE: Another Example

Looks funny on the 3/4 ton WWII Dodges, they did not have the sloped hood like the 1/2 ton WCs ( I know the 3/4 ton carry all and ambulance had a sloped hood, but they were full inclosed bodies)

DMgunn

RE: Another Example

Thanks guys, for all the help.

I will begin negotiations soon - you know, I say "How about $X", and he says "How about $XXXXX", and I say "Let me get my checkbook."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks