• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! What primer can I paint RAPCO over same day?

combat jump

What primer can I use that I can paint over with RAPCO the same day?

I have read that Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer is popular, but that it must cure for 2-3 days before a top coat is applied.

My M1028 has some surface rust on the hood I'll sand and prep with POR-15 before priming. Otherwise, its all CARC.

I'll be shooting it with a 1.8 HVLP gun. On the other hand, if the rattlecan Rustoleum Auto Primer (no oil) will work, I may use that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not ask Rapco?

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Welcome To Rapco Parts Company! Please feel free to contact us anytime for your military jeep restoration needs!

My contact information is below.

RAPCO Parts Company
P.O. Box 191
Bowie, Texas 76230

Please phone us Monday thru Friday 9am - 4pm CST, or you may fax us anytime.

sales@rapcoparts.com

Phone: 940-872-2403

Fax: 940-872-3406

[/FONT]

combat jump

Doghead,

I just got off the phone with them, and learned that the sell primer (Doh!) I found no mention of primer on their web page when I ordered two gallons of paint last week.

That won't help me now. I am going to paint in two days, and won't get the primer in time via ground, so I am looking for something I can purchase locally (San Jose, CA).

My next call will be to the local Sherwin Williams.

RANDYDIRT

I love rustoleum. It is way better than rapco, or anyone else paint. I found that the primer takes a few days to cure, but then it it's ready for any paint you can throw at it. I mix the rustoleum with xylene. It flows well, but is a bitch to have to sand back off, if you screw up, so be advised.

Dirt

combat jump

Thanks, Dirt. While I was hoping to avoid painting twice (primer, then topcoat later on), I may just bit the bullet, and plan on cleaning up twice, masking twice, and all that (I'll be driving the truck in between primer and topcoat).

I just spoke with our local Sherwin Williams dealer, who recommends FP415, as it dries quickly in open air (no heating booth needed). its a 4:1 mixture of primer to hardener, and costs are $90/gallon for the primer and $52.50 for the hardener - a lot more than Home Depot Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, at about $30. Hmm.

JDToumanian

Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer says right on the can (aerosol), "Top coat within one hour or after 48 hours."

I top coat it all the time within the hour, I just wait until it has turned from glossy to semi-flat, and then spray the Gillespie. After that has lost it's wet gloss I bake it in the oven at 150 for a few hours..... But I guess you can't bake a hood.

Jon

combat jump

Jon,
Ok, that would be an acceptable compromise - the rattlecan must be a different mixture than the gallon cans, which require 2-3 days to cure. The label on the gallon cans says "contains oil", but I don't see that on the same Rustoleum primer in rattlecans labeled "automotive".

So, 12 eleven ounce cans of Rustoleum automotive primer, at 6 bucks a can is still only $72 - a lot less than the SW stuff. And I won't have to clean my HVLP gun!

waayfast

Ditto on the PPG!!! You can spray the DP40 / 401 Epoxy Primer and then spray your top coat anytime after 1 hour AND up to 7 DAYS. If you wait past the 7th day you should scuff the surface with Scotchbrite and respray with one coat of DP before top coating.This allows you PLENTY of time to get the top coat applied without having to sand the primer.Very handy for anyone working outside.Or if an emergency comes up and you can't get the top coat applied the same day as the primer.OH yes,don't forget to mix the primer and catalyst and let it sit for 30 minutes before spraying to allow it to cross-link.A REAL respirator is a MUST,(lungs are pretty handy and they don't do well with isocyanates:D)
Hope this helps, Jim

combat jump

Update: I can't get PPG DP40/401 in California. Its "non-compliant", per the Lowe Paint Co rep I just spoke with. Yet another reason I like Texas more all the time. The alternative is Proform gray epoxy primer. Its two part, one to one primer to hardener (sounds like a lot of hardener to me). A one gallon setup is 90 bucks. Well, since I'd spend that much on rattlecan primer, I think I will give this a go. And my HVLP gun will put it down quicker and more uniformly that a spray can would.

combat jump

The epoxy primer label warned that "positive pressure mask is required" which I don't have. Rather than hazard my health, I opted to rattle can the primer with Rustoleum - which can be painted over same day. That was NOT a good idea. The spray cans dripped in gushes and despite wrapping a rag around them, drips got onto the truck. Worse, the spray pattern was about a 2" spot. It took forever, and I was getting gassed by all the fumes in my garage (yes, even wearing an organic paint respirator). It just wasn't working.

I went to Home Depot, and bought a gallon of good old Rustoleum for heavily rusted metal. Cut it 4:1 with Xylene, and shot it. It was great! I worked in the driveway, outside the garage. Almost all the paint went onto the truck - very little overspray.

I'll wait two days, then shoot it with RAPCO 686.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Attachments

Last edited:

kvitt

I rolled rustolum red on the top of my 1009, used a smooth nap roller, kind of "sealed it" so it did not take so much paint, also used it on some of the body, scuffed the primer with 320 grit sand paper on the metal, then rapco paint, looks pretty good

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Rustoleum rattle cans on my truck and started spraying on Rapco 383 as soon as I was done putting on the primer.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks