• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help wiht M35A2 fuel system problems

greenjeepster

Working on the fuel delivery system is best left to the pros. Parts of it operate at extremely high pressures and can inject diesel fuel into you just like a needless vaccination gun or slice you wide open.

Boatcarpenter

greenjeepster,
There is a lot one can do to the fuel system without the fear of getting hurt. You can bleed it all the way through to the IP under very managable pressures. You can bleed it after that also, just have to be careful.
Don't scare the poor Dude off. Just give him advice on how to do it properly.
The best advice was from nk14zp, RTFM:grin:.
The next best piece of advice is to SEARCH:deadhorse:
BC

greenjeepster

Working on the fuel delivery system is best left to the pros. .
greenjeepster,
Just give him advice on how to do it properly.

BC
I did ;)

As far as I am concerned the only safe place to bleed the fuel system is at the fuel filter... the rest should not be messed with especially if you are posting a first post on a forum asking for advise on how to do it.

We don't have any background information on this one... we don't know what his mechanical ability is... we don't know if he even knows where the fuel filters are or what the IP looks like to know if he know what to stay away from.

Last edited:

Boatcarpenter

That's why the best advice is read the manuals, then he will know the proper way to bleed the system and know what is what even if he is a newbi. That's how to learn.
BC

noble

This is how I came to be asking this question and although I have only owned the Deuce for a year I have worked on other military vehicles.

I drained the PRIMARY fuel filter, nothing came out and I thought I had it closed all the way but apparantly not. I drove it 2 miles and it quit and that's when we (my buddy who also has military vehicles) climbed under it and we saw that it had been dripping fuel. We tightend the drain on the filter. Then we bled the primary and the secondary and the final fuel filter and we still had air. After that we bled each injector. We repeated this procedure at least 2 dozen times. and it will only start with giving it a shot of starting fluid. We could see air in the return lines from the ingectors and we bled those but it won't start. However, once started it runs just fine.

dmetalmiki

filter bleed

once you bleed the primary and secondary (2) filters you should be good. you will NOT be able to bleed at all unless the in tank pump is working. (engine off). so theres an indication. no bleed no pump! (engine off). probably why it runs after a squirt of the "bad stuff"..mind you having said that IF the filters are blocked..then you might think the in tank pump no good..Not so ..so make sure all is CLEAN and FREE first..

greenjeepster

If it runs fine once started on ether I don't think bleeding the system is your solution... you have something else going on. It could be the in tank pump or you have a check valve stuck open that is allowing the system to drain back.

AZDeuce

When bleeding the injectors I was told to have somebody in the cab holding the accelerator pedal to the floor, for each injector, by a friend with a 5-ton, it worked, and I got her going again after running her out of fuel. Hope this helps.

stumps

You really shouldn't have to bleed anything after running a deuce out of fuel. The tank pump will get the fuel into the filters, and up to the IP, and a short crank should be enough to get it to start.

At least, that is how it has always worked when I have run out of fuel.

-Chuck

charlietango

yea If I do some injector work where the lines come off I just crack them loose at the injector, crank the engine until fuel spits out then quickly tighten them back down to the injector. I would not do this on a duramax but the multifuel is no that high of a pressure.

kc5mzd

To bleed the air in a multifuel all you have to do is turn the main power switch on. Push the fuel cutoff lever in all the way. Let it sit with the electric in tank pump running and the engine not being cranked while you go under the hood and check the filters for leaks. While you are at it, it is a good idea to open the filter drain slightly to see if fuel comes out then close it. This should take less than 2min. do not leave the pump running with the engine off for over 5min. Also check to make sure the fuel cutoff rod is going all the way back into the injector pump. If it does not go all the way in the engine will act like there is air in the system and give symptoms a lot like the ones you described.

kc5mzd

I just noticed it might help if this was in the right forum. The fuel systems of the two trucks are very diffrent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks