• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help will CUCV Axles work on K/5 Blazer?

maddawg1

I know this seems like a dumb question. I thought it would work in theory if the wheel base is the same. I dont know if it is or it isnt. My freind has a K/5 1984 1/2 ton Blazer correct year? In that era though.

We were wondering if we can go to GL and find axles out of a CUCV and make a toy out of this. Are they Dana or Rockwell axles? If the theory finds to be true would the transfer case and transmission match the mil spec axles?

We thought that would make the ol' Blazer much better it already has a 4" lift and 35" tires but the bolt pattern is the standard 5 lug. There is not much room for much bigger as the brakes on the bigger axles are better/ heavyer duty to my understanding.

With heavyer tires and wheels the brakes on a 1/2 ton were not rated for that I thought.

If anyone has comments on this we would be greatful.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you talking about a CUCV Blazer? (1009) or a Pickup? (1008,etc) The Blazer stuff will swap over to your friends truck but is the same as what He has now, GM 10 bolt axles front and rear. The 1008, 1028 etc front axle (Dana 60) will swap in, but the rear (GM 14 bolt) will not. The spring pads are about 2-3" closer together on the 14 bolt and the shock mounts are reversed, and on the pickup they are inside the frame rail, on the Blazer they are outside the frame rail. I just tried this swap and discovered this info about the rear.

If your adventurous and have access to a shop and tools you can cut the pads and shock mounts off and relocate them or you can do what I did and buy a GM 14 bolt from a yard that comes out of a 3/4 ton Suburban, bolted right in.

Good luck!

acetomatoco

The M1009 have a speed ratio (lower numerically)unlike the M1008 having a rock crawler ratio, so putting the M1009s in a K5 will probably not help much in off road...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me ask this! You mentioned 5 lug. Is your buddys blazer 2 wheel drive? The 4x4s had a 6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. You honestly gain nothing in swapping to the CUCV axles unless you are using the bigger axles from the M1008 or M1028 trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks