• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with 10kw generator set

girod

Our volunteer fire company received a donated military generator some years ago, but it did not come with any manuals at all. Some folks worked on it and got it set up so that we could power up the firehall in an outage, but all of the people with any experience using the generator are not around any more. We had it running last night (it works fine as far as we can tell) but nobody really knew what they were doing with it. It would be a lot safer and more sensible if we had some documentation.

The engine is a 4A084-4, and the tech manual is TM-5-2905-259-14/24p. Possibly I copied the number wrong, because I have seen references here and elsewhere to a number just like this but starting TM-9. Anyway, that would be the engine manual I guess. The generator is labeled SF-10.0 MD, built by Kurz and Root, I guess. The build date on the unit appears to be 1989.

I know there are lots of these generators out there because typing the engine model into google gets lots of generator set hits, but I haven't been able to find manuals mentioned. Another thread on this site (google led me here) indicated that the engine manual is on this site somewhere but I have not been able to find it.

I would appreciate any help you can give us.

jdemean

The manual you are looking for should start with TM5-6115-xxx-xx. I have been listing several hundred manuals and all of the generator manuals seem to start with this number. Odds are I probably have the manuals you need, it will just be a matter of figuring out which one it is that you need, as I have probably 300 different manuals for generators it would not be easy. Do your research and I can see if I have the ones you need.

LEW6X6

Google- Rosecommon equipment on the web. This is the test site for the Forest Service. A few years back I e-mailed the directions around to the other state Forest Services on a website for LOGSA. Rosecommon got the directions and published them under their name. This information is covered under the Freedom of Information act and all you'll need is the NSN of your generator. If you need more help, please call me during the day and I can talk you through it in about 10 minutes. 402-624-8061, ask for Lew

girod

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found manuals for the engine on your SS site, under Resources, but I haven't found anything for the generator itself. All of the generators I find people talking about are designated MEP whatever, and I didn't find MEP numbers on it. I have to climb around on the unit (which is under a foot or so of snow at the moment) and see if I can find something besides "SF-10.0 MD". Tonight at the hall (monthly meeting) I'll see if there is another tag on it somewhere.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cannot find the Data tag for the generator, take some pictures. Post them here, I bet we can properly ID it and tell you which TMs you need.