• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with 5 Ton Wheel Identification

401-J10

Hey everybody,
So I got a set of 5 ton wheels a while back but don't know anything about them. They're a two piece double beadlock lock wheel with 20 studs per wheel. I've attached a pic. I was wondering what trucks these came on and where i could get o-rings and valve stems for them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Evan

Attachments

emr

I have O rings 38 bucks each. thats cost here plus tax, I will include tax , add just shipping. there are 2 O rings a thin and thick, I have both...

USMC6062

I have the same wheels on my bobbed truck I built. Mine came off a USMC M813 5 ton cargo truck. Through some research I found out that they are the same wheels used on the FMTV that replaced the deuce. I contacted the manufacturer, because everyone said that they took a special triangle o-ring. Well they don't, they use a regular single o-ring. They normally won't sell to the public and wondered how I had these military only wheels. Well anyways, they made an exception and sold me a set of o-rings plus a few studs, because a couple of mine were damaged. I will have to double check my invoice if I can find it, but I'm pretty sure the o-ring part number is OR420A. One of the old o-rings I removed still had the part number visible and it matched the new ones I received. Here's a link to the o-ring info, you should be able to buy them locally. They are a pretty standard size. The ones I received were made of orange silicone, but the originals were black rubber. I guess they upraded materials since the wheels were first built. Good luck.

5331-01-389-6028, 12420343, 52-49610-00, 52496100, D528280-3, OR420A

401-J10

I have the same wheels on my bobbed truck I built. Mine came off a USMC M813 5 ton cargo truck. Through some research I found out that they are the same wheels used on the FMTV that replaced the deuce. I contacted the manufacturer, because everyone said that they took a special triangle o-ring. Well they don't, they use a regular single o-ring. They normally won't sell to the public and wondered how I had these military only wheels. Well anyways, they made an exception and sold me a set of o-rings plus a few studs, because a couple of mine were damaged. I will have to double check my invoice if I can find it, but I'm pretty sure the o-ring part number is OR420A. One of the old o-rings I removed still had the part number visible and it matched the new ones I received. Here's a link to the o-ring info, you should be able to buy them locally. They are a pretty standard size. The ones I received were made of orange silicone, but the originals were black rubber. I guess they upraded materials since the wheels were first built. Good luck.

5331-01-389-6028, 12420343, 52-49610-00, 52496100, D528280-3, OR420A
Thanks for the info. When you say buy them locally, what places do you think would be likely to have them?

401-J10

Hydraulic supply, or a place that mounts offroad equiptment wheel and tires. You need an O-ring that has an inside diameter of 19" and is 3/8" thick.
Oh alright thanks. Although it looks like it may be easier to get some HEMTT wheels because I was wanting to get some adapters to mount 5 ton wheels to 2 1/2 ton axles.

M813A1

If you want some HEMTT rims to fit the super single tire contact M1075 ( James ) he has the HEMTT wheels that have been converted to fit a Duece !!

veinotte

I'm in the same boat now :) Just got a set of these and am getting plates made to convert them to 2.5 ton 6 bolt. Before I paid for the plating work I wanted to make sure I could get the parts. Need the orings, stems, a few studs and all the nuts. Nuts are 5/8-18 so that shouldn't be hard. Need to try some of the local OTR truck places for stems and orings I guess. Only studs are going to be a pain..couldn't find any catalogue that listed a clipped ( or not clipped) head stud in 5/8 thats almost 3" long and has a shoulder of .720-.722 ish

Anyone else ever play with these rims?

Unforgiven

What I want to know is, can 5 ton hubs be adapted to 2.5 ton axles?

I realize the 5 ton shafts are much larger diameter. But it would be nice to keep 2.5 ton housings & differential center sections since parts such as ARB lockers, pinion bearings, etc are easy to find. The thought of over-the-counter ARB's is especially appealing.

But it would be nice to have 5 ton, 10-lug hubs + the option of disc brakes. That way the welded rims to single out the Deuce could be avoided.

I've looked at Gerhart's hybrid axles. Quite frankly I'm confused. Didn't he simply manufacture a 5 ton axle since it must be adapted for 5 ton, larger diameter shafts? That would require a different center section.

veinotte

What I want to know is, can 5 ton hubs be adapted to 2.5 ton axles?

I realize the 5 ton shafts are much larger diameter. But it would be nice to keep 2.5 ton housings & differential center sections since parts such as ARB lockers, pinion bearings, etc are easy to find. The thought of over-the-counter ARB's is especially appealing.

But it would be nice to have 5 ton, 10-lug hubs + the option of disc brakes. That way the welded rims to single out the Deuce could be avoided.

I've looked at Gerhart's hybrid axles. Quite frankly I'm confused. Didn't he simply manufacture a 5 ton axle since it must be adapted for 5 ton, larger diameter shafts? That would require a different center section.

I've been trying to figure that out myself. I have a set of front loading f106 axles. I know they came in 6 and 10 bolt. From a parts diagram it would appear that as long as you had the parts from the knuckle out(spindle et all) it might work. Anyone try this? In know the 106 is a different animal.

ODdave

Ok, i am confused.......... you guys want HEAVIER hubs? WHY? You want to go through all this work to have 10 lug wheels? Just buy a 5-ton. Or as veinotte mentioned, find some f106 axles with the pattern you want. There stronger anyways.:roll:

M920

Hey everybody,
So I got a set of 5 ton wheels a while back but don't know anything about them. They're a two piece double beadlock lock wheel with 20 studs per wheel. I've attached a pic. I was wondering what trucks these came on and where i could get o-rings and valve stems for them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Evan
Evan,

I have been looking for a set of those wheels. If you decide to sell them please PM me.

Thanks Soni