• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with a deuce

1983M35A2

what makes a deuce run hot ever now an then.i can run all over the place for a month. an then it will run hot. park it let it cool down then it want do it again for a month then it will do it again.

3dAngus

To test the thermostat, just remove it and go without it. If it doesn't heat up anymore, it is the thermostat. At least, that's the way I did it on cars. Is it removeable and the same for the deuce Ron?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if it is sticking only once in a while, it will be hard to test, to test just for grins, pull, set it in a pan of water on the stove with a cooking thermometer, then heat and see what temp. it opens. being it sounds like it is sticking, I would just replace it, then go from there

derby

I think you need the Thermostat in there for the by-pass feature. I would buy a new one. Check your belts. has the system ever been flushed? The rad could be plugging up. Has the fuel been turned up? Clean Air filter? lugging or overloading the engine, stuck or dragging brakes parking brake? And don't say you have not forgot that once or twice, who has not.:beer:

stancanpara

It's definately a thermostat sticking... if you are going to the trouble of taking the old one out, why even contemplate putting it back in? I would recommend that you just get a new one, install it and be done with it... 2cents

Flyingvan911

New thermostat and flush the system. Might as well do a thorough job from the start. It's also a good time to check and replace the radiator hoses.

1983M35A2

i flush the system and it stopped running hot for 3 months.an than started again.sounds like the thermostat by what u all have said.thanks

3dAngus

The theory behind taking out the thermostat completey, running the engine under normal operating and running conditions, is that it will distinguish the difference between a sticking thermostat as a problem, and a radiator being clogged.

I've had the misfortune of putting in a new thermostat when I was 16-17 and it stuck too. I was not a happy camper after needlessly flushing and replacing coolant in the radiator, just to find out I purchased a bad part, and have done the removal and run ever since. If it is needed for some kind of bypass, then this all becomes a moot point.

When you remove the thermostat, all that happens in most vehicles is that it runs cool rather than the engine coming up fully to normal temperature as there is nothing to stop and hold the coolant until that temp reaches the temp that matches the temp unique to the thermostat designated and designed by the manufactor. I have used two different temp thermostats in one vehicle at different times to run the engine at different temperatures. Another benefit of quick removal and test is, if you don't immediately have the part on hand, you can still troubleshoot the truck, and run without the thermostat until your part comes in.

All posts are good. There is more than one way to skin a cat and my method of madness is not necessarily the best way, just different. These guys know a whole lot more than I ever will, but I know what I would do in this circumstance.

nk14zp

When you go to put your new thermostat in you will see it sits in a bore make sure it moves freely in this bore. I had to clean mine up with emery paper.

Seth_O

One other item to consider: I had an old landcruiser that did this exact same thing. It would usually run just fine, but every once in a while the temp would suddenly spike up crazy-high (like redline in seconds and cause me to do a panic pull over) and then the next drive it would be just fine.

Over the course of time (a few months) it started happening more and more frequently until eventually it was always just hot. I replaced the thermostat, flushed the radiator, put in new hoses, and called a witch doctor; none of those fixed my problem.

It ultimately ended up being a piece of debris stuck behind the impeller on the water pump. It would sit ok for a while, and then for whatever reason pop up and block or slow the flow of coolant. After a while it would drop back into the block and the engine would run fine. Eventually it got wedged into the impeller opening.

Not saying this is your problem, but the symptoms you have are exactly like how my issue started. If your new thermostat doesn't fix the issue, you might want to pull the water pump and check behind it and flush the block really good.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

1983M35A2

when i flushed the system it look like someone had got water from a swamp it had bugs an sticks an god knows what else in it.it sound like u may have something there.THANKS

derby

This flow chart will explain what I was trying to say about removing the T-stat. If it is removed it could bypass the radiator all together and eventually over heat. The Mercedes 617 has the same set up. I do know what you mean about removing a T-stat, but this system is a little different than some gasoline engines. Also if you had sticks and stuff in the radiator I would have it rodded out.

Attachments

yamabro

I agree, deff flush the system and change the thermostat. This will rule out the more minor maintenance tasks. Cause hopefully not a worn water pump (bigger job)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks