• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with antifreeze color M818

Civilianfarmer10

I checked the anitfreeze on my M818 today. The good news is that I am good to 40 below zero. My question is it was darkish brown and barely translucent but not oily. It is supposed to green or clearer or is this normal. Next newbee question is after about 1/2 hour of the truck being turned off I bleed off most of my air pressure. I soaped for leaks and found none. Is this normal? Thanks for any help.

bigelk50

It should be bright green coolant, at least mine is. I hope ya checked for leaks before ya bled things off. It is not common or un common to have or not have air leaks on these trucks. Some are ready to run and need nothing for a while and others need lots. Where did you get yours at?

bigelk50

I would drain and flush it out and get some good coolant in there. A remote coolant filter kit is a great idea too! Do a search for one. CRANETRUCK has a good thread on this.

Civilianfarmer10

I bought if on ebay from a couple of guys in Ohio. After rereading my original thread I made it sould like I manually bled off the air. That is not what I meant. When the truck is turned off the air pressure drops down to about 30 psi in 30 minuets. I soaped all the air lines I could follow and found no leaks. What on these trucks actually uses air besides the brakes?

I think I will replace the antifreeze just to be safe unless I hear different from other replies.

bigelk50

The glad hand valves leak the brakes use air and the glad hands. The Tranny uses it for the sprag. That is why you hear it when you go in and out of reverse. It is telling it what direction you are going so that when the 6x6 engages it does not break things. That is about all I can think of. The horn too. My truck did that and on the top of my bottom air tank the fitting was leaking. Listen closely and you will find the leak.

Civilianfarmer10

Thanks. This sprag that you mentioned. Once in a while after changing from forward to reverse the truck does a clang or a buck after it starts to move. Is the the 6x6 kicking in?

bigelk50

Yes and it sounds like it is fighting its self. This is not good. Read the -10 op manual. You can download it here on the site. Once at a stop with your foot on the break, before taking off, shift it into reverse and then into first. This will reset the sprag. Always take off from first and never second. Sometimes if you roll backwards enough before taking off in first, it can cause it to bind up. This is how it was all explained to me. I do just like I said and never have any trouble. Do a quick search on it and it will tell ya more. Any other questions, happy to help.