• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with armor identification

ida34

One of my cohorts stopped the pictured vehicle. It is still owned by the USMC but is a test vehicle of sorts for a civvy contractor in Ann Arbor. There was an opening on top for a turret of some sort but it was removed and plywood put over to cover the whole. It is much smaller than a styker and is really cramped inside. Anyone know what vehicle this is?

Attachments

Elwenil

I think it is a MOWAG Grizzly. I believe the Coyote was an 8x8 version. It's a part of the rather large family of vehicles based off the MOWAG Piranha of which General Dynamics of Canada produced the LAV-25 for the USMC as well as the Bison, and several other variants. General Dynamics now owns MOWAG as the General Dynamics European Division.

According to Jane's Armour and Artillery, 94-95, The Swiss considered them all (4x4, 6x6, and 8x8) to be models of the Pirahna. Canada called their 6x6 models the Grizzly (mg turret) and Courgar (Scorpion Turret). /the Canadian Bison (8x8) and LAV-25 (USMC) are basically the same vehicle.

Elwenil

True, but MOWAG vehicles were built by a separate company originally and the one's built by General Dynamics had several unique variations. Also there are several generations of the Pirahna which have very different hull designs while the majority of the General Dynamics vehicles use the distinctive pointed nose of the earlier designs.

This definately an upgrade from the earlier AVGP Drizzly. The trim vane is off and propellers have been replaced with storage bins. Wheels and tires upgraded from Michelin 11.00 R16 XL to 325/85 R16 XML. It also has the crew commanders hatch behind the driver.( Open in picture) The couger (scorpian turret) didn't have this hatch. General Dynamics purchased General Motors London (Ont) where these were built. Cadillac Gage trurret held a 50 Cal MG and a secondary 7.62 C6 MG

Attachments

ONTOS66

This vehicle appears to be the Canadian AVGP (armored vehicle general purpose). This link has photos which appear to be the same vehicle (with a turret instead of plywood cover).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVGP

The 3 versions of the AVGP are the:
Cougar - turret with 76mm gun
Grizzly - APC with turret and .50 cal mg
Husky - Recovery Vehicle

The USMC LAV, Army Stryker, etc. are based on the Swiss Mowag Piranah which has many variants ranging from 4x4 to 10x10 wheel

ida34

I am concluding that it is a Canadian Grizzley but did the USMC ever use them? This one is owned by the USMC but may be a one of for testing purposes.

ida34

This may be one of those test machines. The company is supposed to be testing a warning light system for the engine as I was told. They were testing sensors of some type so they are not testing the vehicle itself but using the vehicle to develop something else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks