• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with frustrating oil leak

USAWEAPON777

hey guys, well I have an oil that is well frankly slowly driving me insane. When I first got my m1008 it did'nt have any leaks. after about a year I saw some slight dripping from the pan. So i pulled the pan and redid the rtv and put it all together and no more leak. A couple of months later I had a leak again. I was pretty bummed but figured this time it was the rear main seal because it was dripping from the bellhousing cover and I also near the engine crossmember but I figured that was from the 2 stripped oil pan bolts I discovered. So I ordered everything I needed and this past weekend tore into it. Pulled the pan, replaced the rear main seal, fixed the stripped bolt holes. replaced the gasket and used a little rtv, and put it all together. What I found is that the truck is still leaking decently out of the front near the pan aua . Pretty freakin annoying when I spent most of my weekend on it. However, I can't see the oil coming from the pan it looks almost above it by the balancer. So now I'm thinking that I've been wasting my time and the front crank seal is to blame.
What do you guys think? Also, how hard would you judge the job compared to the rear main seal? Also could it be possible that the fan is blowing so much air in the engine compartment that it was pushing the oil so some of it would drip from the bellhousing cover? I know I wrote a lot sorry about that. Any help appreciated.

ctmustang

I would clean the engine in whatever way works for you then crank her up and start watching. When I do the rear main seals I put some lube on the side that rides on the crank as to not dry start it. I have seen a couple rear mains ovr the years ruined on the first crank from being dry. Have flashlight and mirror handy. Have you checked injector pump for leaks?
CT:shock:

ryan77

Its a 6.2 its supposed to leak oil just like a 80's Harley!!!! I would go by some floresent oil dye and use the black light method!!!!

idM1028

:ditto:

My dad did this to trace an AC leak the other day. Said it worked pretty well. I've also heard that there is a drain valve on the fuel filter assembly for the 6.2's that drains fuel. Supposedly by the time it works its way down to the bottom of the engine it can look like oil.

91W350

Also watch your lift pump, my first M1008 puddled everywhere it had been parked. It was dripping off of the lift pump, taking an indirect path down the pan rail to the back of the block, where it would finally drip to the ground. Glen

SGT Estum

Also watch your lift pump, my first M1008 puddled everywhere it had been parked. It was dripping off of the lift pump, taking an indirect path down the pan rail to the back of the block, where it would finally drip to the ground. Glen
I second that one. Also the soft hose going into the lift pump.

allrevup

Mine came with a oil leak at the pick up pump.
Also unexplained oil leaks are a good indicator to check and maybe replace the crankcase vent "The Tuna Can". It will exacerbate oil leaks (and if so equipped, the oil filler tube vent filter) You could for the moment take it off and flush it with grease solvent or diesel/gas fuel until no more gunk comes out.

Check the oil filler tube seal if it leaks it will drip down the front of the engine or blow back into the manifold valley and come out the back of the engine

Just this past weekend, I watch a TV show were a Master NASCAR engine builder, sanded down the oil pan seal to even the gaps before final Assembly, your could be warp from the previous over toque that lead to the striped screws

Last edited:

dependable

My first 1008's oil pan was rusted though, and it was hard to tell, as it only weeped a bit. Cleaned up and fixed with JB Weld. As others have stated, it is also easy to mistake fuel leak washing down a dirty motor for an oil leak, besides pumps, fuel return lines are likely suspects.