• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help With Identity of Old WW2 Diesel Generator On Trailer.

I picked up this generator and I need help finding its identity. I know its a WW2 trailer, and the gen set is about the same vintage but the data plates are gone or incomplete. I can make out Signal Corps on one plate with a model 1** ? The rest is illegible. Here is what I can tell you, its maybe 30 to 35 KW, Its a Caterpillar six cylinder engine with a pony motor to start it. It has an Eisemann mag unit on the pony motor. Some one rigged a washing machine motor to start the pony, the only question I would ask is if the power was out, how do you use the 110V washing machine motor to start the generator ? Its NOT the m18 generator as I checked and that unit was according to the manual a gas unit. Its on a m17 trailer. But Sad to say , all the sheet metal from the generator and some other items are missing. The trailer has one working jack and is missing all its doors and data plates. I want to fix this old girl up, but need information ! There are wires disconnected on the generator and no control panel . The one good thing is it has been inside a building for the past 40+ years, so its not a total pile of scrap and has a good chance of running again. Everything turns and seems to work.IMG_0112.jpgIMG_0113.jpgIMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0117.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpg I need an idea on what model and hopefully I can find a manual. I also would like to track down parts, but I again have no idea of model. Any one have any ideas ? Thanks !

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that set was intended for stationary mounting and not a field deployable unit. There would have been no enclosure. The set is civilian design, using the Cat diesel D-??? from a motor grader I believe.

steelypip

As NDT said, gensets that big were generally stationary-mounted in WWII. A pony motor for starting suggests that it was standby power (able to bootstrap - you wouldn't see this in a lot of stationary applications) and the capacity suggests something like power for a permanent hospital or all of flight operations. That's a huge standby generator by 1940s standards. I'm just about positive that it was not used on that trailer during WWII, but it might well have been put together some time in the late 40s or 50s by the young USAF when they needed lots of KW on a trailer for some reason. The gen head should have some information about voltages and number of phases, which might also give a clue about its original intended purpose.

Another possibility, of course, is that somebody wanted 30 KW on a trailer and both were available surplus at about the same time.

waayfast

HHOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEE!!!,

Bubba has outdone hisself on that one!!

With my limited knowledge, I'll throw a stab at it-----

Yes, it is a trailer of the M-221 family and does look to be the M-7 Generator trailer, these have a fixed tongue and the four screw style leveling jacks through the body on the corners.

The M-18 trailer was also for cargo and hauling a generator. These have a tilt tongue, swing down stabilizer legs on the rear and individual ramps that fold down. No real tailgate. Also had a big hand wheel winch mounted on the tongue.

The M-17 Mount trailer was for the Quad 50 anti aircraft gun. These have a slight "dish" in the sheet metal at the top inside of the body panels, located about midway from front to back. This was to allow clearance for the "swing "of the quad as it rotated. Also has a tailgate that looks very much like the one in your photos.

The genset however, is NOT the genset the trailer was supposed to haul. At first I thought maybe the Cat was a repower on the original generator (Hercules WXLC-3, 404c.u. flat head flat head 6) but the gen does not look anything like my M7 gen sitting here in the yard.

Cool set-up for emergency power if it all works. BUT-- it if were me, if that actually IS an M-17 Quad 50 mount trailer, I'd drop that genset on the ground and start looking for a Quad 50 to put in there-------------------------------

(not really--if it WERE me, it probly wouldn't happen, as I am so broke I can't pay attention!!---)

Hope any of this drivel helps,

Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks almost just like the cat that is in the American crane at the South Carolina Railroad musuem. it is a D13000. Only difference is the injection pump is on the 'opposite' side. The pony engine had a 12v starter on it. Here's a vid of it running on 2-3 cylinders.

Have you tried to start it? or at least see if it cranks over?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrhWO13VT0g

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ANY parts needed for the engine CAN BE got from Cat,. There is a conversion kit for the pony motor that converts it from pull start to battery start in either 6 or 12 volts. I have gotten OLD cat motors running that were in a lot worse shape and missing a lot more parts. looks like a replaced pony motor head not to long ago (cleaner then the main block)

Yes she does crank over but the pony motor has bad points. Looking for points as CAT says they no longer stock magneto parts. The radiator is still full of antifreeze and the oil looks clean. We pulled two of the tires off today and checked the axles and brakes, the brakes are still intact , the tires are shot. We found some old playing cards stashed in the trailer, but that is as far as we got today.

""""The M-17 Mount trailer was for the Quad 50 anti aircraft gun. These have a slight "dish" in the sheet metal at the top inside of the body panels, located about midway from front to back. This was to allow clearance for the "swing "of the quad as it rotated. Also has a tailgate that looks very much like the one in your photos. """"

That dish you were talking about, its like a curved section of metal ?

waayfast

Yes, a slight curve (inlet into the top edge for lack of a better description) in the top inside edge on both sides of the body sides, rather than just a 90 degree edge. Does not go the full length--just a couple of feet maybe ( I don't have one and have not seen one in person--just going by pics I have seen).
Wish I could describe it better for you or find a pic to show----
Jim

steelypip

If that pony motor uses an off-the-shelf Wico magneto you're likely to be able to find something that works for points - they're very common. Also try people who work with antique farm tractors, as basically all of them used magneto ignition.

PeterD

For points, I'd go to an antique engine/tractor show with the old points. We have one in Dublin NH each summer (July, I believe this year) and you can get anything like that no matter how old, how hard to find! Just take what you have now with you so the sellers can match it up. (Typically the Dublin show will have four or five vendors selling just ignition parts and supplies, and about 20 others with some parts.)

I can't see a pony motor ever having enough hours on it to wear out a set of points. Unless they are broken or rusted through you should be able to clean and file them.
I would love to see a picture of them.
Also you can go to an auto parts store like a Napa or other independent store. You wan't a place that's been there forever not an Auto Zone or Orillys. They should have a book that has pictures of point sets. In the past this is how i have found points for obsolete applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks