• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Paint and Markings

Tesla66

I'm getting to the point where I need to order paint for my M37 318 repower. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what my truck was originally used for so I can try and select the correct paint for the original truck. The biggest question I have is my truck has a set of large white stars painted on it like most trucks, but with a smaller set of yellow stars painted over the top of them. Here's what I know about my truck:

-Hardtop with small oval window
-no winch
-yellow stars over white stars, definitely yellow, clearly painted by a military outfit not a person
-Three coats of paint on the truck, crappy spray paint camo added after auction, dark slightly flat looking green body, light red underbody
-number stamped on frame is 126 8285 MC
-Door tags are 5ACPMcC TVEP 2-127
-1954, bought from a guy in Colorado as a plow truck, now in Wisconsin, have a feeling McC stands for Fort McCoy

If anyone can help identifying even which branch the truck was used in I can get a sense of what colors it would have been painted. I don't know too much else off the top of my head, and unfortunately I blasted off a couple markings while stripping it down. Thanks.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint it whatever color will make you happy. That's all that really matters. Most if not all of these trucks have been painted so many times that it's almost impossible to tell how it started out.

Bert

FrankUSMC

Having the stars on it, I would say go with army semi gloss green. The Marines would not have the star on the truck.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

SteveKuhn

There are a couple of threads explaining how to lightly sand down the front bumper - L/R, rear bumperettes, and hood to see if you can find any original numbers there. There are also some very nice original style restos you can see if you do Google for M37 and use images. That will tell you where to look.

Just be patient on the sanding. It's easy to ruin whatever might be underneath.

Frank's right - OD is your color. Search for BoonieRat here on SS to find a very nice shade that WarrenD used. It's precisely the original shade of my buddy's all-original truck. He explains the paint and the source for it in his thread on the truck.

Steve

majorhitt

Remove your black out drive light, the paint under that hasn't seen light since it on the assembly line. Same goes for the data plates as mentioned before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks