• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with paint color

dnote

I have a M101A2 and need to touch up a few spots with paint. Originally I was gonna bedline the entire thing but the green has really grown on me. It's flat OD green. On Rapco's website they have multiple kinds of green. How do I figure out what mine is so it matches properly?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a newer model, more that likely it is the latest color. 383 green

zout

Under the paint area of the forum you can learn a lot of different procedures. Just personal on my part I could not run away from Rapco or Gilipsee products fast enough - too many choices other than that now cheaper to paint it up. But I really do not know anything but a multitude of examples that prove different. Just keep looking and reading in the paint and body work of this site. Choice is your.

amgeneral72

I,d go with Gelispe paint. I painted a few vehicles with Rapco and in a year they were all faded. Then when I spoke to the people at Rapco they said maybe I should park it in a covered area. GET REAL these are Military trucks they spend their entire lives outside. For the past few years I've been using the Gelispe and must have painted at least a dozen vehicles haven't had any problems. Warthog is right. You want 383 CARC substitute.

EwaMarine

Shot this in house paint...half a gallon of 686 tan called desert camel in flat exterior behr glidden waterbased house paint....ahahahahahaha...works fine...August 2014.jpg

EwaMarine

You guys are going to laugh, but the CARC green looks wicked perfect from Home defect...in fact you guys will trip out, They had the real FS numbers in thier computer at the Kapolei Home Depot here. I asked for FS 34094 (383 CARC green) and they had it!!!!!!!!!!!
They also had the brown and the black...crazy.
So for all the darm film work and the changing of paint schemes left and right I gave up and use BEHR ULTRA. FLAT. EXTERIOR. in your favorite 383 green. They only have the FS colors not the three numbered ones people always refer to here..so ask for FS34094 if you want 383 green...And spray with a normal gun...looks indistinguishable...
I go heavy to make sure it looks right. There is almost no prep needed on these modern MVs...just mix and spray...couple of coats and two weeks in the sun and its good!

EwaMarine

Our stuff sits on a flightline...rarely goes into the brush...so the abrasion resist is not as hot with the Behr ultra...BUT...if your draggin a trailer? this stuff will last you three or four years.....without fading..just like your house..lol...and its easy to touch up. Got a run? big deal. get a rag...smear it let it tack up and shoot over it again...it will make you feel guilty!...
My advice is if you use the house paint..give it a couple of coats because when it flows out, it thins. So go at least two or three coats. That trailer will use a half gallon...with enough for touch ups using a hlvp gun...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks