• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with random things

rockyroad217

I finally got the brakes working on the deuce today after replacing every wheel cylinder, repacking all the bearings (doesn't have to do with the brakes but since I was in there), replaced with a new master cylinder, and power bled them.

I have a few concerns/questions..

1) Is the airpack supposed to make any noise when you hit the brakes? My brakes are working fine, well as good as I know them to be, since they didn't work when I got it. The pedal goes about halfway to the floor and doesn't bottom out or anything, but no air noise from the airpack.

2) When I was driving it home, my brother was following me and said the rear most axle was bouncing up and down..What would cause axle hop? I had 5 14.00-20 tires in the bed, so it had a little weight back there. Is it because the tires just aren't balanced or something?

3) The low air buzzer only works at about 70 degrees or higher during the day..never at night or never on cold days..I thought maybe some wiring problem..but is there a pressure switch I should be looking for somewhere? ( I don't really care if that buzzer works or not, but just curious.)

4) My fuel tank is leaking where the fuel pump assembly is and at the fuel cap, where can I order those gaskets?

5) What is the usual amount of pedal used to maintain a speed? I was more or less on the floor coming home. I think the speedometer is wrong, it said around 40 but my brother said we were going around 48..The rpm's were around 2200 rpms and it was mostly flat highway.

Sorry for always making threads with a whole bunch of questions, but I know you all have a vast knowledge of these trucks. I'm just trying to learn everything I can about them. Thanks!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
#5 I would change ALL your fuel filters

#3 find and change the pressure switch

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, my 2 cents:

1) bring the air pressure up and shut the engine off. Now you can hear better. When you hit the brakes, you should hear a bit of air flow as compressed air from the air tanks is metered into the air pack, depending on how hard you hit that pedal. When you let go, you should hear the hiss of escaping air. An airpack that makes no sounds is suspect.

2) tires way out of balance, un-equal tire circumference (some tires taller than others, due to different wear, make etc.) come to mind

3) unionized part. By contract not required to work in darkness or cold.

steelandcanvas

rockyroad217

I guess that is a good reason to need the buzzer, I do look at the gauge very often though. I will work on the fuel filters too. I know I need to change them, but haven't gotten them yet. My friend at oreilly's checked WIX and found a couple, but he only got me 2. It's 1 big and 1 small. So I'm missing one for sure. Keep the helpful answers coming!:grin:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
#2--I would say the truck sat for a while, tires had flat spots from stitting, it takes a while for the tires to get rid of the flat spot, not out of balance

rockyroad217

That make sense to me, and judging by the cloud of smoke it let out when I first took off on it, I'd say it just needs to be driven haha. I'm still not clear on if the airpack is supposed to make any type of blow-off/air realease of any kind type noise.

rockyroad217

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyNlVJTUTA&feature=context&context=C340c76bADOEgsToPDskK2LQ0_iVpwimokADiIrzX2[/media]

here's a video of me driving it for the first time..if it will work. I had trouble with the shifting. I drive a 5 speed every day in my truck, but it's nothing like this crazy shift pattern or the travel of the gear shift haha.

SoundGuy

You need 2 of the larger fuel filter.

You should hear an air sound when you release the brake petal, You really don't hear much when you press the petal.

A simple volt meter on the terminal of the buzzer will tell you if it is the buzzer or sensor. I defiantly recommend downloading the manual and getting very familiar with it.

rockyroad217

You need 2 of the larger fuel filter.

You should hear an air sound when you release the brake petal, You really don't hear much when you press the petal.

A simple volt meter on the terminal of the buzzer will tell you if it is the buzzer or sensor. I defiantly recommend downloading the manual and getting very familiar with it.
I've figured out the whole filter thing. And how to work on the buzzer, I don't hear any air noise though when I release or hit the pedal. But you can't hear much of anything with the truck running. Maybe I'm expecting too much of a airbrake sound. I have all of the manuals on cd too

rockyroad217

I was noticing a bit of fluid on the inside of those tires. Did you just bleed the system?
Yes and I just replaced all the wheel cylinders, so there's quite a bit of mess on every wheel haha. I was going to clean it all off, but it got dark so I just hurried and drove it home.

And derby thanks, I will check that too!

rockyroad217

AND..is there any place to get just the gasket for the fuel cap? Mine is leaking diesel. I'm also leaking around the fuel pump assembly where it goes into the tank..Where is a good place to order those 2 gaskets from? Thanks again everyone

SoundGuy

Yea, they are not air brakes. It is the opposite of most cars. Most cars have a vacuum booster on hydrolic brakes. The Deuce has a pressure (air pressure) booster on hydrolic brakes. Once the pressure is built up, you can shut the engine off. The brakes don't need the engine to operate. All they need the air tank to have air.

While on the air tank note, do remember to drain that tank after use.

wiggall

As far as the low air alarm how cold is it when it does not work/ If below freezing you might have water in the sustem, and it is froze open.

rockyroad217

I haven't started it on a below freezing night yet, so I don't think that's the problem. I do drain the tank every time I start it...Well if I'm not fixing to start it again. Thanks again for all the info and help everyone.

One other question about the freezing thing..Is there every a problem with lines freezing and brake problems? As far as the air. I used to have a bagged s10 a while back, and I had to run airbrake antifreeze in the winter to keep the valves from freezing.

rockyroad217

Ah, every time I think I'm done asking questions I have another. I found some of the fuel tank gaskets I needed, BUT I need a gasket on the injector pump where the engine stop cable runs into it. It looks like some gasket with like a metal screen in it.

rockyroad217

I'm just posting again to say that I still haven't found the injector pump gasket I need. I found a gasket set, but I don't really want to buy a whole set when I only need the one. It is the engine stop cable part..on the far outside of the IP assembly.