• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help With Repairs

Valkyrie

Hey, everyone.

I recently inherited my father's 92 M998. He used this site for assistance on a variety of topics, so I wanted to start here and see about getting some suggestions. This is an entirely new experience for me, having only ever done anything with the vehicle with my dad. I also have no mechanic experience, so I apologize ahead of time for my novice post.

I had the vehicle inspected by a nearby HMMWV shop and have a report of what all needs to be repaired. Unfortunately, I did not find the shop to be reliable and have since found a different company to work with, but will need to bring all parts to them in order for repairs to take place. This is where the problem comes in; I know what needs to be fixed, but do not know if there are additional parts (like screws, washers, etc) that are needed as well. I've included an example of what I think is most important to address first:

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 16.06.55.png

Right now, I have a fuel pump and fuel tank hose in my cart at Hummer Parts Guy.

I'm not sure which mounting plate gaskets (or how many) to buy, what the comment means by soft line, or what nuts/bolts/etc I should get.

If anyone is able to provide me a list of what I would need to replace these recommendations or tell me I'm on the right track, I would really appreciate it. If anyone is interested in seeing more of the report, I could use the help! Thank you!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1987 had a leak between the fuel cell and the gasket. Same symptoms as what you’re reporting. I would just replace that bloody gasket and I would find a new mechanic.

Welcome.

Condolences about your dad.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The leaking is from the filler neck rubber, it’s a common failure part after 20yrs as fuel sets in the pocket between the neck of the filler and tank neck..over time, it softens the rubber, just replace it.
the lift pump should be replaced along with all the fuel hoses and associated gaskets, again…a common area of leaks on aged components.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the quick responses. I'm sure I'll be back around with more questions as I wade into this; thank you for the help!
If you replace the lift pump, it “should” come with the gasket. Maybe one of these guys can help you with a part number? Soft line just refers to rubber fuel line. If the shop you’re using “needs” you to get that, it’s time to find another shop… again. I’ll bet you could handle these yourself, but should be fairly reasonable priced for almost any competent shop to handle. Deisel specific shop would likely be less likely intimidated just by the fact it’s a HMMWV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, everyone.

I recently inherited my father's 92 M998. He used this site for assistance on a variety of topics, so I wanted to start here and see about getting some suggestions. This is an entirely new experience for me, having only ever done anything with the vehicle with my dad. I also have no mechanic experience, so I apologize ahead of time for my novice post.

I had the vehicle inspected by a nearby HMMWV shop and have a report of what all needs to be repaired. Unfortunately, I did not find the shop to be reliable and have since found a different company to work with, but will need to bring all parts to them in order for repairs to take place. This is where the problem comes in; I know what needs to be fixed, but do not know if there are additional parts (like screws, washers, etc) that are needed as well. I've included an example of what I think is most important to address first:

View attachment 915099

Right now, I have a fuel pump and fuel tank hose in my cart at Hummer Parts Guy.

I'm not sure which mounting plate gaskets (or how many) to buy, what the comment means by soft line, or what nuts/bolts/etc I should get.

If anyone is able to provide me a list of what I would need to replace these recommendations or tell me I'm on the right track, I would really appreciate it. If anyone is interested in seeing more of the report, I could use the help! Thank you!
The gaskets for the fuel pump and pump backing plate are the same as the SB chevy, look up say a 1976 350 chevy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks