• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting without Starting fluid.

wikallen

Does it show any fuel leaks when you have it running? Any wet spots, drips, slicks on the ground?
A leak in the system will make for hard starting in any weather condition.

derby

It has been a while since I have looked at the plumbing of the flame heater, but I thought there was a line right off the booster pump? so what I was thinking is that you had pressurized fuel dumping into the return line. Does it start better without using the flame heater?

I think Plym49 may be right about the in tank pump and fuel lines. It is always good to do your checks though before buying parts you don't need or don't need yet.

crazywelder72

no visible leaks anywhere, even when running.

It didnt start without using the flame heater and it struggled to start like that. the flame heater wasn't hacked up. they just disconnect the feed and return line from the nozzle and coupled them directly together. essentially making them useless

also i just confirmed with my friend who was on the wrench yesterday while i was in the cab and he did disconnect the line going into the Injector pump and we had pressure. also he confirmed that when he had the line disconnected up top at the injector nozzle we had zero pressure while i was cranking.

so a few questions are......
(1) can a HH be removed and serviced?
(2) if not how much is a HH
(3) curious to know the cost of 6 injector nozzles anyways
(4) assuming the HH is bad, should i even mess with the fuel pressure and droop screw adjustment or should i hold of on that till i have a known working HH installed

derby

1. There have been a couple guys that have tried to service them, but I think in the end they changed the head.

2. I have seen them from $3-500

3. I have seen them in the classifieds from time to time for $150-250

4,I would leave things alone until the truck is running normally, Then decide if you need to then. A new head can revive a somewhat tired engine.

I would buy a new or factory reconditioned head not a used one, unless it has a warranty. It will take you about 3-4 hrs to change, You don't want to do it twice.

Before you pull the head , did you check the fuel cut off rod behind the cover with the two screws where the engine shut off cable goes?

crazywelder72

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked the rod yet. I know i was told earlier about it but i haven't done it yet. i can move the external rod no problem so i have been assuming the internal is fine also. If it was sticking, i would have jumped on opening it up. I guess that is the last thing i can check before swapping it out.

does anyone have a link to the least confusing thread about checking it? i read its not a big deal, remove the cover, cut the saftey wire and remove something carefully and a brass piece should be in the 7 o'clock position. i guess the question is what if its not? what does that mean then?

derby

The external engine kill may move freely but the fuel cut off can be in the off position inside. It takes about two minutes to check this.
Remove the two screws and wire if it is there. then tip the cover top down and look at the rod that goes to the arm with the clip.
I will try and take a pic for you.

crazywelder72

derby

Yes seven o'clock. I think they are refering to cleaning the shut off rod in the head if it is sticky.
If you remove the cover and it is not in the correct position this is your problem. if it is in the proper position plan on a new HH. There is one in the classifieds.

crazywelder72

i'm reading that "rebuilding" thread now. so if the lever is not in the correct position, what is the fix to get it back to the 7 o'clock position? is it just manually moving it? or is there a spring?

crazywelder72

i just opened the cover and it had quite a bit of oil in there. i didn't spend to much time analyzing it to see if it was oil or contaminated fuel. I didn't cut the saftey wire because you can see the cutoff lever with it in place. not sure why everyone is cutting it off and removing the 2 screws to inspect it (unless i am missing something here). anyhow i took a video of what I'm seeing. The good news is it's in HD, the bad news is in order to get in position to shoot it my thumb was covering the microphone. That's why its muffled.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like it moves ok, but I wonder why it doesn't go to the 7o'clock position. Try pushing it forward! With it not getting to 7, your not opening up all the wayy to get all the fuel.

crazywelder72

i will give it a try.
Is the fluid in there normal or is that a sign of another problem?
what more would i see if i cut the saftey wire and removed the plate?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks