• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with tailgate repair on M1009, parts needed

n3uka

The handle on my m1009 tailgate broke and I am having a rough time getting parts. I ordered a new 1 from chevy and it was missing alot of little parts. I called saturn and they confirmed that theres was the same way. On the attached diagram I am missing parts 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10. I faxed it to chevy with the numbers from the TM and they were unable to match anything and without sizes, etc. I am out of luck. Any info on the parts or recomendation on where to buy would be greatly apreciated. I have already tried LCM and they were unable to help either. Could also use a source for the tailgate latches. All the places I have checked want several hundred $$$

The diagram is page 315 of TM 9-2320-289-20P

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

BKinzey

I'll check the one I have. I'm swaping over to electric. Maybe a trade? I'm looking for the plastic parts on top of the tailgate. They go between the gate and the shell.

NCINIRATOR

Yepper, mine broke too. I ordered a replacement crank from e-bay and it came in 3 days. WOW :D

I took the door panel off and got the window down and apart and everytihing. Started looking for the damn lock cylinder and its friggin MIA :x

Some of those little parts vanished like a fart in the wind too. :x

What have you done so far....I need to get my blazer out of the carport to get another car in it and the weather has been crappy rain all week long.

I guess I can put the gate up and jamb a 2x4 or something to hold the window up. :oops:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My 1009 was bad about getting tight and then snapping the pin out of the handle. After it popped out a few times, it would wear a groove in the alloy and would come off all the time. I got a new one from the Chebby garage and it did the same thing after a while. I got pissed and chucked the handle up in the drill press. I drilled a hole clean through where the pin went and then ran a long bolt through the whole thing. It is still working like that after 6 years as far as I know. That doesn't help you with the other missing bits, but I think it's a good tip. :D

NCINIRATOR

I couldnt find it on JC whitney....I guess Ill just rig the crank to work without a lock cylinder. The way the weather is going I may have to get by this winter with a 2x4 jambed in the tailgate to hold the window up, unless I find a friend with a garage.

At one time you could find door panels in JC whitney made out of diamond plate or black diamond plate, now that stuff is vanished and most of the crap is geared towards jeeps. what do they know! :roll:

ida34

LMC has all the parts listed. The lock cylinder does not have any tumblers. I took it to the local chevy dealership and they keyed if for the cucv key for me. They have most all of the parts.

NCINIRATOR

Yeah, I orderd the parts today. They did not thave the pad in stock, I didnt need it or the handle anway. Thanx for the reference....Its set be back $60....that aint bad.

jumpmasterjim

Check gmpartsdirect.com They even use the part numbers from tm. I bought tail gate parts and glow plug card from them. reasonable prices.

NCINIRATOR

So I drove to my buddies house to use his gargage to work on the tailgate. I dropped both windows, opened the vent windows and opened both floor vents to counter the vacume that would be created while driving with the tailgate window down...It didnt help, by the time I got to his house my tongue tasted like I ate diesel cake with diesel milk to wash it down :drool:

I had all the parts except for the part that was on back order, the pawl, and that was part that I needed to make everything work. In the end my buddy came up with the idea to drill a hole in the clutch and put a screw in that would catch the crank. It worked, it got so cold I didnt fiddle with taking pictures. The truck barely fit in his garage and with the tailgate down we couldnt get it in all the way because of the stuff on his wall.

Doesnt matter anyway, something is broken with the gate lever and I may have to buy a new assembly so I left the panel off :x

Will post pics when I decide to fix that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks