• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Unit Markings

noobtankz

Hi Everyone-

I'm about to paint unit markings on my deuce and wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I'm hoping that someone can confirm that this is correct.

I'm doing the markings in honor of a pilot from my hometown who was in the 25th Infantry Division, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, Troop D (Air)

Would that be: "25 3/4" on the passenger side and "D-#" on the driver side. (I have yet to determine what # to use)

Even though this was an air unit would trucks still be assigned to it? To honor him I will be using that unit regardless but wondered if it would be historically accurate or not.

I know that there have been threads about markings but I wanted to confirm that I'm going down the right path here. I appreciate your input.

Steven

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yes the Air Cav would still have deuces--quite a few of them actually.

The numbers would most likely be 25-3-4 on the front passenger side and rear drivers side.
I did a cursory image search for 25th ID trucks in Vietnam and only checked page 1 so you may want to do a google search on images and research further to see if you can find a 3-4 Air Cav truck picture to validate the bumper numbers. Based on the few I saw, they did not use ID or the filled triangle nor CAV or other letters denoting infantry division or cav like many other units did.

D-# is on front driver side and rear passenger side. If you really want to get technical, I'd write the Army Hearldry Dept in Carlisle, PA and see what they can give you and if nothing else, a TO&E for the Battalion which could show you who was authorized deuces in what section. That could help with your admin number.

Good luck.

skywalker6582

I suggest going to the 3-4 CAV's reunion website at www.3-4cav.org and ask. Give them details on the time period you want and someone will remember what they saw. A few pictures on the site are just marked 4 CAV on the left as you face vehicle ond Troop letter plus number on the right. Or google 3-4 CAV 25ID and go to the curent unit's website and give the staff duty a call. They can tell you current bumper number scheme. My guess is "25ID 3-4 CAV" on left and "D-#" on right as you face truck, where # is number of your choice. Good luck with it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here is the unit reunion webpage. I have no doubt that you could contact these guys and they'd bend over backwards to help and/or find pictures of trucks. Most of their photos are of helicopters.

D Troop 3/4 Cav

After scouring their website pictures sections, this is all I came up with. It ain't much but one has a m50 with somewhat decent view of the rear bumperettes. The others are of much help.

http://centaurs.org/danmcintyrephotos/27_in_front_of_d_troop_hangar_1970.jpg

http://centaurs.org/danmcintyrephotos/61_going_to_bob_hope_show_at_long_binh_1970.jpg

http://centaurs.org/danmcintyrephotos/47_f_troop_lai_khe_1971.jpg

BTW, everything I see so far for the Vietnam timeframe does NOT show the use of ID or the filled triangle. I wouldn't call the current 25th ID SDO, they'll think you are a bigger whack job that you think that they think that you think you are. 25th ID historian or the Army Hearldry would be better options if the 3-4 Cav guys can't help you out.

Last edited:

noobtankz

That is just the "voice of experience" advice I was hoping for. Thank you! I did get in touch with some of the men that served in the 3/4. They were definitely more interested in their choppers rather than their trucks! I don't blame them. I attached a couple pictures that were sent to me. That one truck fell victim to a 122mm rocket.

Looks like I will go with 25/3R4 to match the photos. Thank you for getting me on the right path!

Steven

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks