• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with wheels and tires

Jim Deggys

To follow up, I have not dueled out the tires yet, I was waiting to see how the current 14.5R20’s would handle the load before I make the purchase. The sketchup pic is kind of what I am trying to achieve.
Sketchup.jpg

This is the wheelbase widened 13',6" to accommodate the Container

side wheelbase.jpgTop view.jpg

The attached container weighs 6,000 lbs and is 8’X24’, Overall height is 13’,0.5”, the right side of the container “roughly 700lbs” was removed and will be replaced with doors as in the sketchup pic.

side .jpgRear view cutting side out.jpg

My initial concern was that the width of the rear axles “outside of tire to outside of tire” was too narrow. My outside tire width is 84” and the box is 96”. I felt a 12” narrower base would not handle the load in less than ideal conditions. The suspension “squatted” 2.25” when the box was added. We drove it around the yard and I felt that it was swaying too much. We removed the containers’ side-corrugation-panel and I thought it was going to flip over. I did not get any pics of the lean “out of balance” but it was pretty drastic. I estimate about a 9” lean to the left.

Side open.jpg

I am by no means a mechanic but think the major problem is the “off road” type suspension needs to be “stiffened” to be more like a box truck. Then widening the base by adding tires if needed.

Any suggestions?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the reason for moving the rear bogie so far back? Will you be running this truck in the city?

red

If you dont need the front axle powered then it would probably be cheaper for you to swap in a set of 5 ton axles. They are wider and without powering the front axle it would be a simple install.

Jim Deggys

The reason for moving the bogie back was to allow space for the drop down and storage. The pic is difficult to make out but I am dealing with 3 different heights or levels if you will. (1st level) The customer will walk up at street level and place their order on the. (2nd Level) The waiter stands in a cutout that is 18" off of the ground and has access to the 3rd level via steps. The (3rd level) is 36" up the steps and is the main level.
Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 9.49.36 PM.jpg

Jim Deggys

The wheelbase is less than a school bus and my turning radius is less than desirable. I didn't take into account that the Deuce doesn't turn as sharp as a school bus. This truck will likely never leave Fort Polk so not much city driving planned.

Jim Deggys

Quick update. I dualed the rear axles and replaced the 14.5x20 with New G272 MSA's 12.00x20 with tubes. The overall width from outside tire to outside tire is 96" and is much more stable. The bogie trunnion cap hasn't rubbed on the rear inside tires as of yet but I'm not too concerned since this beast is permanently "On-Road" from now on. The project continues and the truck grew from 12' 10" -to- 13' tall and still leans slightly.

To ask a question. On the rear axles, If I bypass the bogie and add double leaf springs kinda like the bobbed suspensions would this stiffen the rear suspension and remove the "off-road" characteristics? I have access to free leaf spring suspension parts. However, If that won't work I think i will use airbags in conjunction with the bogie setup.

Thanks for the input.

20170215_172541.jpg20170215_172525.jpg20170201_161401.jpg20170201_165729.jpg20170131_172025.jpgFB_IMG_1486062691747.jpg

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think air bags would be your best bet. I was amazed at how little pressure in them can have such a wonderful effect on ride quality and stability. Just don't make the mistake my buddy did, he tied the left and right bag together. That lets the truck lean considerably in corners.

rustystud

Wow ! You have some great fabrication skills !
I agree with Gimpyrobb about the air-bags. Those along with some weight down low will help with the sway problem. Busses have the same problems and air bags are the only way to go.

Jim Deggys

I think air bags would be your best bet. I was amazed at how little pressure in them can have such a wonderful effect on ride quality and stability. Just don't make the mistake my buddy did, he tied the left and right bag together. That lets the truck lean considerably in corners.
I was thinking of going cheap and adding 4 new airbags without any fancy controllers. Just plain old bags that I manually fill from the air hose I tied into my CTIS tanks. Then level it out on flat ground fully loaded. The suspension width is just right but I need to take out the "give" or "off-road" characteristics. I was thinking about keeping the bogie set-up, adding 4 bags under each rear axle where the "bottom-out stoppers" meet the frame, with a set bag pressure to "lessen" the left to right lean or give caused by the "off-road suspension". What do you think?

Jim Deggys

Wow ! You have some great fabrication skills !
I agree with Gimpyrobb about the air-bags. Those along with some weight down low will help with the sway problem. Busses have the same problems and air bags are the only way to go.
Thanks, Me and a welder buddy have been building it at his house out of a lean-to shed for the past 5 months. No special tools or equipment, just his basic metal home shop tools and the use of the neighbors forklift as needed. We have stuck to the original concept and overall plan but the in-build details, materials to use, limitations of a remote location, tying things together have been what we call "figuring-****-out".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think I would look into find a way to put some shock absorbers on first. I'm not sure if the A3 has them, but I know the A2 does not. That should help more than bags imho.

Jim Deggys

To update my project. Construction is about 95% complete but the kitchen is functional. We had our first "soft opening" the other day and it was a very quick sell out20170114_173024.jpg
I had to widen my base since the outer wheel width was 84" and my container was 96". I am probably the first person in history to revert from singles to duals. I used some MSA G272's. I have to say, they made the rig very impressive
20170120_151022.jpg20170117_080742.jpg
As you can see the side door fully open
20170216_091356.jpg20170322_134056.jpg
20170322_134243.jpg20170324_113538.jpg

We added some bling, cabinets, and oven.

FB_IMG_1493825537442.jpgreceived_10212845802645849.jpgreceived_10212845802805853.jpg
The oven still needs a wrap
20170505_144627.jpg
A pic at our soft opening with a local professional who helped me with the administrative portion of the build.