• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with willys

rizzo

Can anyone tell me about this jeep? I am interested.

1946 Willys CJ2A...95% complete and intact, needs TLC and doesn't run. Not modified, no lift, original motor, trans, wheels and such. Missing the canvus top, PTO shifter and some small misc. pieces.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, my 46 willys has a timing gear, not chain... Looks like the same shape as mine, except mine runs. Not sure what it is worth.

Dennis

Last edited:

rizzo

the body has an overlay of fiberglass, but seems like solid metal underneath I don't think the body is perfect, but it seems in good shape. has original seat, bows, doors with canvas, gages, wheel. the clutch seems to work, but the brakes have no pedal. I was thinking of telling him I would give him $400. Is that fair?

eddiec

i'd go get it if i were you. i paid more than that for my dads cj3b. ( his company had a few over in nam), and it didn't run. there are a few at howards for parts, but none had a winch settup.

rizzo

I got the Jeep for $450. My friend is gonna work on it for me. Probably needs new timing gear. We are gonna get it running and try it out then put the axles on the bottom of the springs and swampers then try to restore the body this winter. It is my wifes runabout, but she says we can paint it green, but she wants the kids to put their hand prints on it.
I'm just glad she is getting involved.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just my 2 cents worth....
I have the orginal style military tires on mine, and I was climbing hills at the rally last year that the larger tired and newer jeeps couldn't touch. The jeep in orginal form will suprise you with it's ability. The only things that get me stuck are soft mud, tends to sink, and getting high centered in a rut. The larger tires and clearence will help with that, but you will lose traction for climbing other terrain. The jeep is a heck of a climber with the stock setup.

The 4 cly won't spin the bigger tires(or smaller ones, 60 hp LOL) fast enough to clean the mud from them. The u joints in the front axle are the weak point, they made three different, interchangeable styles. The u-joint style is best, the ball ones are weak.

I guess what I am saying is try it in the stock form first and see what you think. I would recommend a good roll bar, and upgrading the brakes if you use it on the road. The 9 inch brakes are a joke. Pretty easy to get some 10 inch brakes from a slightly newer jeep and install them, and 11 inch brakes from the jeep trucks work well.

The problem with trying to improve this jeep is once you do one thing, you have to do everything! Tires=bigger engine=better axles=tranny....etc

Hope you get it on running soon, they are a blast.
Dennis

Last edited:

rizzo

Stretch44875 said:
This is just my 2 cents worth....
I have the orginal style military tires on mine, and I was climbing hills at the rally last year that the larger tired and newer jeeps couldn't touch. The jeep in orginal form will suprise you with it's ability. The only things that get me stuck are soft mud, tends to sink, and getting high centered in a rut. The larger tires and clearence will help with that, but you will lose traction for climbing other terrain. The jeep is a heck of a climber with the stock setup.

The 4 cly won't spin the bigger tires(or smaller ones, 60 hp LOL) fast enough to clean the mud from them. The u joints in the front axle are the weak point, they made three different, interchangeable styles. The u-joint style is best, the ball ones are weak.

I guess what I am saying is try it in the stock form first and see what you think. I would recommend a good roll bar, and upgrading the brakes if you use it on the road. The 9 inch brakes are a joke. Pretty easy to get some 10 inch brakes from a slightly newer jeep and install them, and 11 inch brakes from the jeep trucks work well.

The problem with trying to improve this jeep is once you do one thing, you have to do everything! Tires=bigger engine=better axles=tranny....etc

Hope you get it on running soon, they are a blast.
Dennis
I'm gonna drive it stock first. The tires are so skinny I wanted to get somthing that floats well. I will test it and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

JeepMan

You did good on the price. As you know, you can easily spend $100. (or more)
on entertainment just in one weekend. The jeep will be around for weekends to come!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks