• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with wiring

DarkSeas

I agree with AC about the alternator, I just pulled some lines yesterday off one of my alternators and the connector looked just like that.

Toddbo35

Well I got all the alternators and batteries installed. Also figured out that the 12 volt main lead was missing and installed it. Power comes to ignition switch now. However all I get when attempting to start it is the glow plug clicking. It won't crank. The starter does nothing. Any ideas?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, if it was all that easy, why didn't you tell him where they go.

Below, is a diagram of the ignition system, or part of it. Pink wire seem to go to the fuel shut off. Is there a pink wire on your IP, Injector pump?

View attachment 867621
Maybe @ezgn was making it a learning moment?
Lead the horse to water...
Give a man a fish - or - Teach a man to Fish (more likely)

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if it was all that easy, why didn't you tell him where they go.

Below, is a diagram of the ignition system, or part of it. Pink wire seem to go to the fuel shut off. Is there a pink wire on your IP, Injector pump?

View attachment 867621
I was prepared for some possible push back on that one. You are right, I normally would have just told him. But I thought, as Mullaney said, It would be a chance for him to figure out a solution with minimal effort on his own. The wire has about an inch of play which limits the possibilities of where it can connect. No disrespect intended.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also found these 2 wires on top front of engine. Any idea what they go to?
The pink wire hooks into the spade connector on the top part of the injection pump, and the green wires hook on the spade connector more towards the firewall on the pump. I believe the connectors will only fit the correct size spade on the injection pump.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got all the alternators and batteries installed. Also figured out that the 12 volt main lead was missing and installed it. Power comes to ignition switch now. However all I get when attempting to start it is the glow plug clicking. It won't crank. The starter does nothing. Any ideas?
Have you been under the truck to check and make sure you have a starter, that is wired up and bolted up securely, and is not missing the starter bracket. Check the batteries with a volt meter to see if you have 24 volts. Check all your fuses. Check the volts at the starter, it should be 24 volts. Check the voltage at the start terminal of the solenoid on the starter while someone holds the key on. The batteries should hold at least 12.5 volts each with the engine not running. A load test on the batteries will determine if the batteries are able to turn the starter. Check these things first before digging into other possibilities.

Last edited:

Keith_J

The green has two connections, one is external and bumps the throttle when cold, the other is internal and opens the fuel return check valve. The check valve maintains about 10 PSI of case pressure when the engine is warm. Both get power from the thermal switch on rear passenger side of cylinder head.

The pink powers a solenoid internal to the pump, this is the main fuel cutoff and must be energized to run.

Both circuits are powered by switched power from the ignition switch.

It appears you have a HMMWV injection pump, this from the Packard style connector boot and bullet connector. Both are 24 volt and won't connect or work.. These can be swapped out with only removal of the top cover. Parts will cost about $120 new for good ones. You could also use relays to switch 24 volt if you are electrically gifted. Relays would be cheaper, would need 2 at about $15 each with socket.

If you go with the internal and proper fix, Badger Diesel has the required and quality parts.

Last edited:

Keith_J

You are going to need to look up the "Doghead relay" mod here..most of the truck is 12 volt, the starter requires 24 volts so there is a relay under the dash which takes the 12 volt starter command from the ignition switch and this relay switches to 24 volts.. without this relay system working, the starter won't.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green has two connections, one is external and bumps the throttle when cold, the other is internal and opens the fuel return check valve. The check valve maintains about 10 PSI of case pressure when the engine is warm. Both get power from the thermal switch on rear passenger side of cylinder head.

The pink powers a solenoid internal to the pump, this is the main fuel cutoff and must be energized to run.

Both circuits are powered by switched power from the ignition switch.

It appears you have a HMMWV injection pump, this from the Packard style connector boot and bullet connector. Both are 24 volt and won't connect or work.. These can be swapped out with only removal of the top cover. Parts will cost about $120 new for good ones. You could also use relays to switch 24 volt if you are electrically gifted. Relays would be cheaper, would need 2 at about $15 each with socket.

If you go with the internal and proper fix, Badger Diesel has the required and quality parts.
I always enjoy reading your posts. You are a very knowledgeable and explain things in depth. I learn something from you almost every post you make.

guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks