• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help withInterior prep for Herculiner

SimonG

My search-fu is weak and Im suddenly in a time crunch
I found out I have access to a heated garage in a week to do my interior (hadnt planned on it till spring)

Down and dirty

1. remove everything from interior

2. sand or rough up surface

3. Clean interior (what products to remove oils and such?)

4. Tape off area to be covered (what about bolt holes and bolts? replace bolts in holse and tape over?

5 How long to set untouched before I can replace seat and drive?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to rip out the insides now, or at least look, and find out if all of the metal is good. Finding out now instead of then might help you plan your project better. These series of GM are notorious for rust in the floor pans. 2cents

As far as how long to wait before installation of seats and flooring, what does the Product Information data sheet have to say about cure time?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have done the inside of some trucks and use Xylene to remove and wax/oil from the sheet metal. It takes forever for it to completely cure. Even if you wait for a couple days it will still have a strong smell for a week or so. I used cigarette butts in the holes where bolts went in so I wouldn't have to chase all the threads with a tap.

combatmech

I used the rustoleum bed liner. I put down two pretty heavy coats. I waited about 8 to 10 hours before I put my stuff back in.... when I put my footlocker O' spare parts in, some of the coating came up.
When I applied another two heavy coats, I waited a full two days before I put my stuff or anything else on the floor.

SimonG

great thats what I was looking for guys. Dont much care about the fumes right now, got all winter for it to air out. As long as I can apply on Friday and be able to get my driver seat in and drive it home on Sunday
so Im going to go get Tapper corks and some Xylene, prep and paint

cucv1833

My search-fu is weak and Im suddenly in a time crunch
I found out I have access to a heated garage in a week to do my interior (hadnt planned on it till spring)

Down and dirty

1. remove everything from interior

2. sand or rough up surface

3. Clean interior (what products to remove oils and such?)

4. Tape off area to be covered (what about bolt holes and bolts? replace bolts in holse and tape over?

5 How long to set untouched before I can replace seat and drive?

Heres a pic of mine. I did it in 1 day. Started around 0700 in the morning and put the 2 coat on around 8pm and let it dry over night. I used the truck lightly the following day in the after noon.

It turned out good the first pic has dirty foot prints after the coating was try.

I first pressure washed lighty the inside after taking everything out of course.Then I let it dry. Then I used a 4" buffer wheel and a resporator to remove lightly the paint.

Then I Wiped it down with acetone and taped everything off. I put the first coat on and waited 4 hrs then put the 2nd coat on. And left it in my shop with a fan on it.

For the bolt holes I put wadded up masking tape inside.

Good Luck I like it no problems yet. I like Rhino liner but it fades in sunlight and they wanted $500 to do my blazer.

Attachments

SimonG

Sweet earplugs Iv got :)
CUCV1833: was that one gallon of liner for your entire truck? Did you dilute it at all?

bkwudzhom

Just a thought--If you would like a bit of sound proofing now would be the time. I have looked into it and Lowes has a stick on sound deadner that is suppose to work well. i plan on using some to help quiet it down a bit for the kids. Then break out the Herculiner over the top of it. Anything will be an improvement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks