• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

qbubba51

I just replaced my 4th and 5th gear sychro. Disassemble we easy just like the manual says. Replaced the thrust washer and retaining ring.

Now the problem the 14 rollers that go into the fouth gear. I have tried greasing them to the shaft, tried installing the main shaft then greasing them to the bearing surface but I still can't get the shaft seated without losing one or two rollers.

What am I missing it can not be this hard.

Help.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....just a little bit more patience and some synthetic grease (more tacky) if available.

The rollers have to be "glued" into the input shaft, first. If they are not excessively worn they will hold each other in place (only can slide out).

Try again, it IS doable and has been done x-many times!

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, and I used GAA grease and had no trouble at all. Find some thick grease!

qbubba51

Thanks for the help. mainshaft in but now when I let out the clutch I have a grinding sound. Did not have it before, I am thinking I have the rear shaft nut to tight????? Everything spins.

Or I must have over looked something. I was able to shift into 5th gear but it locked up?

Help

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you did not install the shift forks properly. Remove the trans top cover and carefully set the gears in neutral, then carefully set the top on and confirm it feels right and the forks are engaged in the slots.

The rear bearing retainer is shimmed to set the shaft free play. Not the nut.

qbubba51

thanks, that would solve my lockup problem but the whining or grinding noise I hear with the top cover off when I let out the clutch. I did not notice this noise before.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have no free play on that shaft, it might make the front or rear or intermediate(seperate rollers) bearings make noise. Be extreemly careful running it with the cover off, it could pull your clothing or hair into the gears in a second. I assume you put oil in it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thought, not sure what it will prove but, you could engage 4th gear and the input and output shafts will be turning the same speed. You might be able to tell if it's the intermediate bearing making the noise.