• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helping the Cause

Ajax MD

Dave Demorrow is a fellow who has been attempting to help many states craft legislation to help keep FMV's operating on public roads.

The MVPA and FMV owners are not giving him the support he needs. He recently attended a hearing in Kansas where the president of the MVPA lives and Mr. Lockwood could not be bothered to show up. Dave has posted a photo of Mr. Lockwood's empty chair in the legislative chamber, next to himself. Posted below is a quote from Mr. Demorrow:

ok here is the question for people in the MVPA. I flew to Kansas to be the expert for a state reps bill that would allow modern (under 35 years old) surplus military vehicles to be legally on the road. its Kansas... I was the only one from any MV group... what is striking about this is the fact that kevin lockwood (MVPA senior board member) lives in Kansas. he lives in great bend KS (easy 3 hr drive with a stop for food).... his job on the board is leg affaires. that's his job to be there or at least have someone there representing the MVPA. NOTHING, NO SHOW. the HQ for the MVPA is in the next state over with a paid staff, ITS ONLY A 1 HR DRIVE FROM THE MVPA HQ TO THE MEETING!!!!... just a short drive away... no one came... they knew about it, they were invited.. they ALL BLEW IT OFF. THERE ARE 4 MVPA CLUBS IN KS... no one was ask by the national HQ to show up...

this is the same thing they did to me when I was in DC and had a bill ready to go 2 years ago in SEN Cornyns office. they refused to back that bill that would have released over 75000 MVs over the next 10 years over the numbers being released now (newer HMMWVs, HETTs, M977s, etc). stabbed us all in the back who are in the hobby..... why? they (MVPA BOD) don't like modern vehicles... ok good. so my questions are why do they still call themselves the MVPA and not the WWII vehicle assn??? and why are people still paying dews that have modern vehicles???.
thanks
picture taken at the KS state house transportation hearing room..
the AMVOs has been reaching out and doing what we can for all the members who have been left high and dry by the MVPA. we don't care what it is (hand cart or tank) what year it is (no such thing as "post war"), or what color it is (OD green, 383 green, tan, or cammo)… they are all MVs and should ALL BE PROTECTED.
BTW, board members please stop saying you are not anti HMMWV. it does not pass the smell test any more
Do we want to own and operate these vehicles or not? Are we going to just roll over and allow ourselves to be legislated out of existance?

Attachments

Ajax MD

I'm in to help!

Besides watching our State's Legislature, something else to do?
Keep an eye out for state agency over-reach. In other words, a state agency places a ban or onerous restriction on something (FMV's) without actual legislation to back it up. That's often the first sign that a bad law is in the works.

For example- In Maryland, there is a bulletin circulating from the state police that "prohibits" FMV's from obtaining vehicle safety inspections. It's not grounded in any existing law that I can find.

Reworked LMTV

Keep an eye out for state agency over-reach. In other words, a state agency places a ban or onerous restriction on something (FMV's) without actual legislation to back it up. That's often the first sign that a bad law is in the works.

For example- In Maryland, there is a bulletin circulating from the state police that "prohibits" FMV's from obtaining vehicle safety inspections. It's not grounded in any existing law that I can find.
The root cause of all these problems is the AMVAA. After reviewing their recommendations on many issues I see a patterns in their posture toward things that they need more information on. This will be important in helping them understand the MV owners plight.

I am looking into talking with them, once I have my ducks in a row. I am looking for others with a legal background, or understand legislative bodies, or at least have a strong business savvy. This is not the place for hammers and fists or threatening emails. That posture will kill our efforts.

joshuak

The root cause of all these problems is the AMVAA. After reviewing their recommendations on many issues I see a patterns in their posture toward things that they need more information on. This will be important in helping them understand the MV owners plight.

I am looking into talking with them, once I have my ducks in a row. I am looking for others with a legal background, or understand legislative bodies, or at least have a strong business savvy. This is not the place for hammers and fists or threatening emails. That posture will kill our efforts.
I don't have the legal background you're looking for, nor do I believe the need for for threatening emails. But I am a tax paying citizen and I do vote. I would hope that there is an area where I and others like me can help, even if it's not in your chat the AMVAA.

Quoting myself from the All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland thread.

...I donated in support of the folks out in Colorado, wrote a letter trying to help keep MV's legal in Canada, just trying to do what I can to help support this hobby that I enjoy.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can't go if you don't know, as Dave stated there are "4 MVPA chapters in Kansas" , as far as I know the KC bunch was never in formed till the 19th. There is plenty of blame to go around, we (I) should have posted here on that the meeting was even going to happen. There is already a KS HMMWV thread on the site. I only found out about the meeting on the 19th from FB and only sent out emails to some folks I know and none were HMMWV owners. With short notice I could no attend the Topeka meeting.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MVPA did nothing, zero, nada to help in Louisiana, IMHO

Reworked is spot on that the AMVAA is the elephant in the room. They are the ones that influenced Louisiana's Administrators to start looking at this. Thankfully we did not go down the path others states did........

Long extensive thread here on the leadership others provided and a supportive State Senator that enabled LA to be progressive on this issue.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I don't have the legal background you're looking for, nor do I believe the need for for threatening emails. But I am a tax paying citizen and I do vote. I would hope that there is an area where I and others like me can help, even if it's not in your chat the AMVAA.

Quoting myself from the All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland thread.
Everyone is welcome to participate! We need momentum more than anything else. I know that when the momentum of SS members is focused like a laser, mountains get destroyed.

TMOMW

hello everyone. im dave demorrow
a former soldier
a former MVPA member
and I currently am a founding member of the assn of military vehicle owners on face book
we are here to do anything we can (documents, advice, phone calls, and sometimes we show up) to help people get MVs on the road safely following the law. we are also fighting DLA to get more ECCN 0a606a vehicles released for sale and donations.
sooooo what can we do for you?

and I am not upset at KS MV owners... some of you did not get the memo.. that's fine others did and just blew it off... I will leave that there.

Reworked LMTV

Here is the mission statement that drives the MVPA:

ESTABLISHED IN 1976, THE NON-PROFIT MVPA IS DEDICATED TO PROVIDING AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MILITARY VEHICLE ENTHUSIASTS, HISTORIANS, PRESERVATIONISTS AND COLLECTORS INTERESTED IN THE ACQUISITION, RESTORATION, PRESERVATION, SAFE OPERATION AND PUBLIC EDUCATION OF HISTORIC MILITARY TRANSPORT.

Honestly, I'm not sure their mission statement encompasses a lot of need of SS members. We certainly have members that restore and show their vehicles to the original form to preserve the history. We also have members who re-purpose their vehicles for business or personal purposes. A new industry of Overlandering / RVing has cropped up, driving more interest in heavy duty off-road vehicles.

Reworked LMTV

hello everyone. im dave demorrow
a former soldier
a former MVPA member
and I currently am a founding member of the assn of military vehicle owners on face book
we are here to do anything we can (documents, advice, phone calls, and sometimes we show up) to help people get MVs on the road safely following the law. we are also fighting DLA to get more ECCN 0a606a vehicles released for sale and donations.
sooooo what can we do for you?
Hi Dave. Thank you for your work in KS. I think your video is inspiring and sets a nice precedent for MV owners and SS members. I am going to PM you.

TMOMW

ok im still here and still fighting will try and give a update on the situation about the invistigation against the DLA soon.

anyone want to speak to me please feel free to call, many have reached out to me in the last 48 hrs about the new threat for MVs... from what i have been told dont expect any help from the MVPA BOD right now...

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks