• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemit thinking about getting one need info

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I had a mk48 ,sold it last year.The cool factor was awesome.But I paid $30k.For that price It was too big for any practical use.Although I have been thinking about a hemmt since they are going a lot cheaper lately.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Big, loud and they suck fuel. They ride like an oxcart and require a lot of maintenance. If you ever have to replace all the tires at once you may have to take out a loan. The Detroit Diesel is a beast but don't ever run it out of fuel. The ones with the cranes are best. I drove them in Korea and enjoyed them for very short periods of time. Cool factor is 10.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like my "SEMTT" for the cool factor, but the operation/cost of a M939 series. Keep in mind, the HEMMTs get 3mpg on a good day.

dk8019

I've got one, a few sold of a song yesterday. I'll echo the above, they ride better heavily loaded for sure. They are complex machines, but very useful if you have a task similar to what they were originally used for.

paradeduty

Paid a little bit more than the going average for mine a few years ago because it was exactly the model that I wanted and it was only an hour from home (no shipping to speak of). I have played with a number of these types of vehicles and the only general advise that I can offer, now that we have a little bit of a selection out there from time to time, is to find one that is in good condition and has not been beaten on. There is definitely more to them than the old 5-tons, but less than the PLS, HET and other newer ones. The original HEMTT is completely 24 volt, where the newer stuff is usually combination 12 volt and 24 volt. As an analogy, I compare the HEMTT to the PLS/HET to be like the 800 series 5-tons to the 900 series 5-tons. Definitely look for one with the newer tires and rims - which is almost all of them being sold (it just saves you a bit of hassle latter). Most of the brake and drive train parts are commercial heavy truck parts, so if you cannot find something surplus chances are it is available in the heavy truck world (just maybe not cheap).

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's their cruising speed.
Yes I want the crane
Already have a M989A1 to put behind it
Anything I really need to look for besides the tires and rims

dk8019

Safely you can run them at 55 MPH, I believe that's the limit of the tires. It will likely go faster, but why?

The M985 might be preferable to a M977 if you want a higher capacity crane.

Otherwise, most of them coming out are in pretty good mechanical condition, as they were rebuilt recently and maybe saw just one deployment since. Consider the paint etc, there's a lot to them if you need to repaint them. When you find one, dump the transmission fluid and engine fluid, they are both wrong and need to be replaced ASAP. There will likely be cylinders that need rebuilt on the crane, hoses etc that will die, there are a lot of them!

JDToumanian

Safely you can run them at 55 MPH, I believe that's the limit of the tires. It will likely go faster, but why?
Red line on the engine, 2100 rpm, equals 57 mph. So 55 is about the max. I've read a lot of posts on here about HEMTTs going 70+... Either the speedometer is in error, or the governor has been tampered with and the engine is being over-revved. I think this over-revving of the engine is one of the reasons (along with the incorrect oil) HEMTT engines are lucky to last 50,000 miles, when in civilian applications they could easily do 500,000.

Jon

Augdog1964

So heard alot about wrong oil... mine just came in, what type of oil is needed?
Also same for the Mk48?

I'll tell you, compared to my like new Mk48/15a1, the HEMTT rides like a dream, and moves around MUCH easier!

HASSON1911

So heard alot about wrong oil... mine just came in, what type of oil is needed?
Also same for the Mk48?

I'll tell you, compared to my like new Mk48/15a1, the HEMTT rides like a dream, and moves around MUCH easier!
they need a straight 40 weight with low ash, delo 100 or rotella t1 is really all thats available that meets the requirement ive found

dk8019

As much fun as the engine oil is, you need to dump the transmission fluid ASAP, and replace it a TES-295 fluid, or perhaps a TES-389 as an intermediate before the final fill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks