• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT drivetrain

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you on DOPE? The 16v149 is a boat engine--literally. It's too big to put in the BED of a Deuce, let alone power it.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think a larger CID engine will turn heads without thinking about the reason WHY they're turning heads.
Chill dude. :beer: I think his comment was a joke. :D At least I hope it was.

Ruppster

badassissimo

How about this DD for your truck? 16v149 with 4 turbos! 2384 cubic inches! Basically 2 V8' bolted together. They are prime movers for 2 standby 4160 volt gen sets for the City of Tampa' 13th St. sewer pump station. You should hear this things at load, it's awesome.

It was really awesome when the electricians started one up with the leads from it not connected in the cabinet! It made lots of fireworks for several long seconds!

The first pic is with the genset removed for rebuild. These are 30 year old engines.
Sorry for the crappy pics, taken with cell phone.
I'm down. ROFLMAO!

badassissimo

Yeah, I imagine that I'll be getting a new transmission anyhow because the cummins 6bt and the dd 8v71 are looking like good ideas. If everything but the cab changes, that's fine with me. It'll probably end up costing about the same as a new vehicle so I'll just get new parts or very low mileage parts. I'm not sure if it was on here or the chevy truck forum but someone had also mentioned the driveshaft changing. So, I realize that I'll be tracking down little parts for it too. Not to mention a suspension upgrade. Hopefully I can keep the same transfer case and front axle when it is all done for a cummins or find compatible fornt and rear axles to make the DD happen. Let me know if you have ideas for the front suspension. Is there a kit or just a donor truck in mind? Thanks.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I imagine that I'll be getting a new transmission anyhow because the cummins 6bt and the dd 8v71 are looking like good ideas.
I would re-think the 8V71 idea as it ain't going to happen without a ton of custom work and a rather large transmission, along with a whole lot of money. The Dodge I have that has an 8V71 is a special Dodge that is a lot larger then usual and the cab had to be raised up in order to fit the 8V71 along with a larger radiator. In a smaller vehicle like a Blazer or pickup it ain't going to fit. A DD 8V71 is still huge and weighs over 3,000 pounds. You would need at least a 7,000 pound front axle (my Dodge has a 12,000 pound axle with air brakes). I would stick with the 6BT. That or follow the suggestion of putting the body of the M1009 on a deuce chassis. The frame of the M1009 will never stand up to the weight of an 8V71.

Ruppster

badassissimo

I would re-think the 8V71 idea as it ain't going to happen without a ton of custom work and a rather large transmission, along with a whole lot of money. The Dodge I have that has an 8V71 is a special Dodge that is a lot larger then usual and the cab had to be raised up in order to fit the 8V71 along with a larger radiator. In a smaller vehicle like a Blazer or pickup it ain't going to fit. A DD 8V71 is still huge and weighs over 3,000 pounds. You would need at least a 7,000 pound front axle (my Dodge has a 12,000 pound axle with air brakes). I would stick with the 6BT. That or follow the suggestion of putting the body of the M1009 on a deuce chassis. The frame of the M1009 will never stand up to the weight of an 8V71.

Ruppster
Yeah, body swap is looking better all the time for the big DD. To keep the m1009, I'd probably need a smaller one. One I was looking at on youtube was a 4-53T, I think.

Did you maybe have a picture of the dodge? Just to see what it looks like. Thanks.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any decent pictures of the truck with the 8V71 but I do have some pics of it's smaller brother, an ex-Air Force tanker chassis on my web site.

1975 Dodge XCNT800

This truck has the Cummins 555 CID V8 (smaller brother to the Cummins 903 300 hp V8 used in the military 10 ton 6X6's) and has a 58,000 pound GVWR (triple framed). The main difference between this truck and the one I have with the 8V71 (called a CN900 high cab) is the cab on the 8v71 powered Dodge had to be raised about 4 inches to get enough room. It was the only way Dodge could fit the larger diesels needed for OTR trucking. When I am done restoring it it will look somewhat like the truck below.

OldDodges.com - 1973 CNT900

This truck (a CNT900) belongs to a guy in Georgia. Both him and his father are huge Dodge truck nuts. The web site is his also. The one above also has an 8V71 but he doesn't show any good pictures of the engine so it's hard to tell. They have a second high cab Dodge CNT900 but it has a Cummins 270 or 290 inline 6 engine.

Ruppster

drdstny

Banned
Best mod you can make to that truck is grab a 6.5 and call Gale Banks. 1,000 HP and 1500#/' of torque will turn heads.

2,000#/' of torque in an engine that weighs 4,000# stuffed into a truck that weighs 6,100# doesn't make economic sense and may get your neighbors to think of you as the (environmental) enemy instead of their law-abiding conservationist/recycler.

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
<sigh>

The CNT900 and the M1009 are nowhere close to similar. Not in frame, not in BRAKES, not in suspension.
<sigh>

I think I pretty much said that. Guess you missed it.

So here's my complaint, since it got missed:
No, it was not missed. I even replied to it. Guess YOU missed that too.

As I said, some of what was posted was a joke. Try getting off your high horse and mellow out every now and then, okay? :D

Ruppster

badassissimo

Great advice

Yeah, I totally thought you were talking about a 2500 when you said dodge. ROFL. I guess "drdstny" is right. Zero comparison. I'm fine with that. I might still dig up a smaller DD someday. But, thank you for taking the time to add to the thread Ruppster. The point of me starting it was to find out all these things. Not having been militarized, CDL certified, or diesel engine certified, I'm pretty clueless. I worked hard on my c10 until it started to die hard and got the blazer because it had all the rebuilt parts and was only 1000. This is true. As I become more familiar with the M1009, I'm finding out things like the pintle hitch is only 1200 lbs certified and tends to rip off easy?! It's rusted so I'm going to get a Reese under there if I can figure out the fuel tank. I also learned that the 6.2L can throw rods and not do anything but drive around town depending on who you talk to. I think the one I have is running fine from what I remember test driving it 3 months ago but I'd like to have an engine in mind for when the inevitable happens. Thanks to this thread and one other, I have two drivetrains in mind. Thank you again, Ruppster.

DRDSTNY, I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm really not sure how to fix that. I promise I was just looking for constructive advice. Try to keep the rest to yourself or show me the door politely? Thanks.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I totally thought you were talking about a 2500 when you said dodge. ROFL.
:D Sorry, I like to yank people's chains every now and then. Few people know that Dodge used to build semi trucks. Sometimes I go on the Dodge diesel forums and have fun with them.

The point of me starting it was to find out all these things. Not having been militarized, CDL certified, or diesel engine certified, I'm pretty clueless.
No problem there. What's the point in having a forum for asking questions if asking questions does nothing but get you rude responses? The only way to learn is by asking questions. Nothing wrong with what you asked.

DRDSTNY, I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm really not sure how to fix that. I promise I was just looking for constructive advice. Try to keep the rest to yourself or show me the door politely? Thanks.
No reason to apologize as you did nothing wrong. Some people have a thorn in their side. Why some people feel the need to be so abrasive in their responses in beyond me. Just enjoy your M1009 and have fun with it. :beer:

Ruppster

badassissimo

Relief

I feel much better now. lol. I may come up with more questions come on. Looks like I'm done with this thread unless someone adds something. I imagine I would trade the drivetrain for 6bt compatibility or DD 4 or 6 53 compatibility. I saw both in pickups although suspension may still need tweaking.

Btw, I don't think I grasped the concept of a Dana axle. Is that lke a box or something special? Is it just positive? Is it just a different gear ratio? Thanks.

badassissimo

your gunna change you're own engine but dont know what a dana is?
classic
what year is you're honda?
guess lots peoeple got that thorn in there side
honda? lol.

1985?

Yeah, I haven't had one or installed one or maybe don't know that I have one>? Slowly learning about parts. Thanks

badassissimo

Darnit, I wanted to see an 8V92 CRUSH a Blazer, bent axles the whole ball of wax. :cry:
ROFL. Thanks Stalwart. Had I done this on my own without help, I'm sure you would have seen the pic on the internet. ROFL. With any luck though, that won't happen and I'll be rollin around with a mean green killin machine :driver: