• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT M977 Crane Swap Deuce Project

red devils dude

yup I know a fair bit about hydraulic's from growing up around farm's when it get warmer I'm going to go
look at it I know what to look for on the hose's and cyl's but what about the turning mechanism? I think it
will match up to the deuce's frame well enough but we'll see.

spicergear

Bjorn, I can't answer that question on cab clearance as of yet. If you scroll back up to the pic that has the yellow 2x 27's holding the crane on you'll get a really good view of the four big hydraulic cylinder that the crane 'nests' on. When crane is in operation, it stands up on those four rams virtually straight up so clearance shouldn't be a problem. THANKS for that pic of your hydraulic pump!!! WHAT KIND IS THAT. Mine looks virtually identical but has the ports in a differnent location...BUT REALLY looks like that!!! Even looks to have about the same gear housing on it...about 1.25-1.5". That was good, I'm definately using that pump now.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pump is a Commercial (Youngstown, Ohio). The only numbers on the tag are R58624985.
I described the pump over the phone to a HIAB rep once and he said it was a downgrade, that must have been specified by the NAVY to slow down the operation of the crane (=make it safer).
The HIAB pump was cylindrical and larger in size.
The pump should have at least a 10 gal/min capacity for normal operation. I'm sure mine doesn't, some functions are slow as molasses in cold weather before the hydraulic fluid gets warmed up.
If you hunt for a different pump, don't get one from a dump truck, they will have the capacity, but are not rated for continous duty.

Can't wait to see your crane going through its motions!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
jed, bfr mite be looking for a hiab about the size your talking about

spicergear

BFR said:
looks great! what kind of reach/capacity will you have?
Sorry I missed your question man. It's reach and ratings are 2500# @ 19' and 4500# @ 9'. I'd guess I could prolly pull over 5000# off the deck. I guess all that depends on the how the truck handles it too...so we'll see. It also has 370* of rotation, +5* each way.

spicergear

Bjorn, I found a listing on my pump. 1800rpm should put it just over 27gpm. Pump is listed as 2000psi, but specs call out for 3000psi regulated at the valves for the crane. I think I'm gonna roll the dice and hope it will build the pressure enough to properly run the several hyd motors. I also saw a disclaimer on the psi rating that had something to do with shaft size. I'm at 1-1/8 and I saw another 4 stage pump with 1-1/8" shaft and was regulated at 2000psi but multiplied by 4 because of the 4 stages...making like an 8000psi load on the shaft to be it's limit. I'm gonna try it. I'm going to set up up 10% overdriven from the PTO which should be 1:1 with the tranny but the tranny could through drive with the over drive giving me a total pump overdrive of 25%. Hmmmm...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My crane is spec'ed at about 2800 psi on the main cylinder.

Off hand I'd say that you can calculate the lifting capacity of the cylinder by multiplying its cross sectional area by the hydr fluid pressure.
The gallons/minute would give you the speed of operation.

spicergear

I'm more worried about the pressure and flow for the several oil motors that are on the unit. A cylinder, generally, is gonna work...maybe not as fast, but gonna get itself pushed out.

spicergear

Bjorn, how thick is the center section of your pump? Found some listing on the Commercial/Parker or Commercial/Shearer pumps. Mine has something like this' M-25X xxxxxx' stamped into the pump itself with no take. It has ports on the sides not the ends like yours but looks to be very similiar in size. I fould listings on a 25X pump with 1.5" gear housing putting it in the 2000psi area and nearly 27gpm @1800rpm. Mine has a 1.75" gear section. I'm going to overdrive it 10%, then another 15% through the tranny...that way if I need less I'll easily be able to gear down in the tranny driving the T-case.

OH, I had a second pump and actually finally had the manufacturer dig up some info on it. 2400psi max and up to 27gpm...but the pump feels on the loose side and is smaller than the commercial jobbie. I asked the manufacturer what the limiting factor is on the psi outputs and the guy told me the bolts holding the pump together. They'll deflect with more load!!! Yikes...me thinks I'm gonna be a retard tomorrow and buy 4, 4" 5/8's grade 8's for the Commercial pump. :D