• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT adapter plates & cost

GoHot229

We have had a pretty good responce with the Hemtt adapter plates looks like. I hope I havent rialed anyone, my intention with this post is simply to feel the waters about the number of interested prospective buyers, provided the cost would not be prohibitive. The more sure the manufacturer is of the ability to sell these adapters, the more likelyhood of ever seeing an actual item. I am interested, as a whole lot of you out there as well. I think this project will come to fruition. The other point was to see how much an average guy can or will spend. The numbers may or may not have come out how we want them, but at any rate there will be far less confusion. I simply wanted to throw that extra bit of encouragement into the mix

Last edited:
I don't want to be a dark cloud in this otherwise sunny and cheerful thread, but has anyone considered the amount of liability that will come with modifying items such as rims? Liability is a major concern and cost in manufacturing. If you are doing this under the umbrella of a sucessful company or as a LLC that can take the brunt of a suit, you may be OK. But for the average guy any litigation due to a failure, weather at fault or not, would be a disaster. I am not a lawyer, and this is just food for thought, but I don't want to see anyone on this site have to explain to a jury that they did not charge enough for their product to pay for engineering or testing.

54reo

I don't want to be a dark cloud in this otherwise sunny and cheerful thread, but has anyone considered the amount of liability that will come with modifying items such as rims? Liability is a major concern and cost in manufacturing. If you are doing this under the umbrella of a sucessful company or as a LLC that can take the brunt of a suit, you may be OK. But for the average guy any litigation due to a failure, weather at fault or not, would be a disaster. I am not a lawyer, and this is just food for thought, but I don't want to see anyone on this site have to explain to a jury that they did not charge enough for their product to pay for engineering or testing.
This is a VERY good point that has kept quite a few people from getting too serious about fabricating these adapters.

atankersdad, very nice work and thanks for making these available. The suggestion concerning liability issues is only meant as a "heads up"., but you may have this covered already.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is a VERY good point that has kept quite a few people from getting too serious about fabricating these adapters.

atankersdad, very nice work and thanks for making these available. The suggestion concerning liability issues is only meant as a "heads up"., but you may have this covered already.

That was part of the engineering cost. I am having ACORN sell them. They are immune!!!

These plates are for off road use. However, bolt on plates are DOT legal if they meet engineering standards. Welded wheels, not matter how nice they look may get you tagged by the DOT at their inspection point. And it has happened to members on here, That is why I did not just take the quick and easy route with the welded center (oh yea my son is a welder so i could have done this one real cheap) and made big bucks $10.01 per wheel the new SS standard in profit margining.

frodobaggins

Seriously??

:roll:
Yes. If it was under a $100 or so. I was just throwing out a number.
Not implying that's what someone SHOULD make.

I got a quote today. Mind you it's not the magical $50, but much lower.

$120.50 per plate manufacturing cost. Not including chamfered lug holes.
No labor from me besides layout. Making 10-20 bucks a plate off of it sounds
pretty good for doing nothing but picking them up and shipping them.

(Not implying others have done any less work than they have, that figure
was based off an improved process)

The plates were 32.50, waterjet was 88 per plate, I'm sure it could be
done for less on the waterjet. Still need to chamfer the holes.

donkdonk

The plates were 32.50, waterjet was 88 per plate, I'm sure it could be
done for less on the waterjet. Still need to chamfer the holes.
That sounds great! Do you mind giving the info on where to get the round plates for $32.50? I looked into doing this, but it was close to $300 for a 4X8 sheet of 1/2 plate and then the cost of cutting them in circles would have made them more like $70-80 each. I would like to get my hands on some of these. I like the look of the deuce center because of the offset and dimension, but it would be nice to have some of these as well.

donkdonk

That was part of the engineering cost. I am having ACORN sell them. They are immune!!!

These plates are for off road use. However, bolt on plates are DOT legal if they meet engineering standards. Welded wheels, not matter how nice they look may get you tagged by the DOT at their inspection point. And it has happened to members on here, That is why I did not just take the quick and easy route with the welded center (oh yea my son is a welder so i could have done this one real cheap) and made big bucks $10.01 per wheel the new SS standard in profit margining.
Not really sure about this, because stock deuce wheels are welded too. There should be no reason to stop at an inspection because they are for commercial trucks. Even if you did get checked out for some reason, and for some zany reason they wanted you to take your wheels off your truck so they could look at the back of them, how would they know that the wheels were not just the welded stock wheels?

And of course all of this is on top of the fact that you have to cut out the center of a DOT approved wheel regardless of which way you do it, hence voiding it's DOT approval right there.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and I like the fact that there have been a few different solutions to fitting these rims on a deuce.

It is very strange to me that people question the price though. If someone thinks it can be done cheaper, then do it cheaper. We live in the USA, you have the right to.

frodobaggins

That sounds great! Do you mind giving the info on where to get the round plates for $32.50? I looked into doing this, but it was close to $300 for a 4X8 sheet of 1/2 plate and then the cost of cutting them in circles would have made them more like $70-80 each. I would like to get my hands on some of these. I like the look of the deuce center because of the offset and dimension, but it would be nice to have some of these as well.
That was with them supplying the steel, and it was 3/8. They gave me a price on half, but I don't have all that with me. Will get it to you later.

airmech3839

First of all let me say that I in no way meant to make anyone out to be a crook! I simply responded to a thread that I have an interest in! And still would love to have some of these plates! I do think atankersdad has done a fine job! I reponded in general terms and expressed my views on how much I am willing to spend at one time on adapter plates. I never said your price was unreasonable but I did say that "to me $100 is reasonable of a price" It was my budget talking. I would consider buy these if they were $350 each! I just couldn't buy 6 of them at one time! I think it is a great design going with bolt ons verses welds! I do not have hemtt wheels yet and would like to have them and the tires on my truck! I am sorry that I was the first to respond to this thread since that just kept it at the top of the pile! Sorry if I have offended or pissed off or pissed on anyone!!! I mean no harm! I am like a dog with dentures...all bark and no bite!!!

frodobaggins

First of all let me say that I in no way meant to make anyone out to be a crook! I simply responded to a thread that I have an interest in! And still would love to have some of these plates! I do think atankersdad has done a fine job! I reponded in general terms and expressed my views on how much I am willing to spend at one time on adapter plates. I never said your price was unreasonable but I did say that "to me $100 is reasonable of a price" It was my budget talking. I would consider buy these if they were $350 each! I just couldn't buy 6 of them at one time! I think it is a great design going with bolt ons verses welds! I do not have hemtt wheels yet and would like to have them and the tires on my truck! I am sorry that I was the first to respond to this thread since that just kept it at the top of the pile! Sorry if I have offended or pissed off or pissed on anyone!!! I mean no harm! I am like a dog with dentures...all bark and no bite!!!

I feel ya airmech, but they only hear what they want, on all sides of this.

Alredneck

Banned
Man, where have I been?:roll: I have talked to a couple guys who are trying to do this. ( no im not one of them, I couldnt get paper to stick together with glue! ) But of all, I have not seen any pics. Could someone be kind enought o point me in the direction, considering between Woodys trucks and mine we have 5 in all ( I think, one may of got lost in the weeds ) I would be interested in a couple sets, but im trying to figure the pros vs the cons of the different setups. Has there been a discusion on this to. SSSHHH im so behind the times.:-D

frodobaggins

Man, where have I been?:roll: I have talked to a couple guys who are trying to do this. ( no im not one of them, I couldnt get paper to stick together with glue! ) But of all, I have not seen any pics. Could someone be kind enought o point me in the direction, considering between Woodys trucks and mine we have 5 in all ( I think, one may of got lost in the weeds ) I would be interested in a couple sets, but im trying to figure the pros vs the cons of the different setups. Has there been a discusion on this to. SSSHHH im so behind the times.:-D
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/40518-hemtt-wheels-your-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ng/40474-closure-hemtt-rim-adapter-plate.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40192-100dollarman-hemtt-wheels-deuce.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks