• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt Camper...

eldgenb

I've already said my piece on that retarded looking horse trailer mounted on the back of the HEMTT. Suffice it to say I said nothing nice about it.
you know what, it never seems to fail, someone posts something in the mod and hot rod forum and a purist comes in to tank whatever the project is, its his money and truck he can spend or abuse it anyway he see's fit, don't worry more hemtt's are coming. None of us know what stage this project is in and if I had the excess income to build something like this I probably would too, I would not use a hemtt because I don't personally like them but I would absolutely build something out of this world just like that. If you don't have anything nice to say than please keep it to yourself, it gives the rest of us a bad name.

Bighurt

I agree Eldgen, I can't stand when people bash modification in the modification forum, if you are a purist then just don't read this forum.

However if we all held our tongue then the forum would be utterly useless because you would never get an honest opinion.

I love HEMTT's would I modify one...no, when I can afford one I certainly won't butcher it for convenience. Even if the truck wasn't a HEMTT, I'm still not fond of how the modification was done. Perhaps the pictures of incomplete truck turn me off...but it's not my styling.

Cheers

Elwenil

you know what, it never seems to fail, someone posts something in the mod and hot rod forum and a purist comes in to tank whatever the project is, its his money and truck he can spend or abuse it anyway he see's fit, don't worry more hemtt's are coming. None of us know what stage this project is in and if I had the excess income to build something like this I probably would too, I would not use a hemtt because I don't personally like them but I would absolutely build something out of this world just like that. If you don't have anything nice to say than please keep it to yourself, it gives the rest of us a bad name.

I give you a bad name? I would think a horse trailer on a HEMTT would give all of us a bad name, lol. And you will note that I didn't say anything bad about anything, I said I already said my piece about it, which if you had the good sense to investigate, you would have realized I said my criticisms on Pirate4x4, where putting something down is commonplace and I am known for speaking my mind. In any case, I do think it's ridiculous looking truck and a very poor choice for a camping or expedition rig considering the expense and parts availability. And while more HEMTTs may be coming, with the rebuild program they will not be common like a 5 ton truck and other similar MVs. HEMTTs will probably always have a similar mystique to armored MVs and generally the purists will outnumber the more liberal modifiers. Either way you should check your criticism of other members at the door which to me makes us look bad more then offering opinions on a particular build or mod, especially one with such a non-military nature.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had the idea of a hemtt camper before but the facts just don't work out for it to do well within reasonable expectations. Especially if this guy wants to cross continents..political barriers..war zones..in it. Good luck and God speed. 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it could have been more tastefully done but if it's what the owner likes, so be it. It's probably easier to return to stock form than a bobbed deuce! I'm looking into bamboo floooring for the back of my deuce.

Darwin T

steroid induced camper. i plan on adding some of the appliances in my M109a3 (composting toilet and sine wave inverter) and now maybe a water maker (being as i live near the gulf of mexico). i not fond of how it was done, but he did not cut it up for scrap. i think i would have made it at least look military. unless i was going to drive it through the middle east. is this the same people who designed the bio-diesel boat eco boat that got run over in whale wars?

JDToumanian

If you don't have anything nice to say than please keep it to yourself...
My mom tried as hard as she could to instill that characteristic in me from an early age. She failed.

So, here's what I think of the "Horse Trailer HEMTT"...

Attachments

Last edited:

Westex

I'm with Wehring, I want to drive it. But the bamboo floor would crack out here in the dry heat; I go with the terracotta tile, personally.

Garret

Hemtt use

Ok everyone. I thought i would join the site to answer some questions. Thanks for both positive and negative comments. First of all, above the cab and motor is just a aluminum rack for my second spare and other gear. The diamond plate on the sides is only temporary and is being replaced with more aluminum tubing. The rack is fully removable for access to the motor and trans in case we ever need to pull them. The tread plate in the front above the windshield will stay however because it deflects wind up over the body.
Second, let me give you some insight into the build. I admit it is plan b as we were hoping to have a body custom built by GXV, but $ restraints made me think of plan b. The build is only 3/4 done and sorry that the final paint etc has not come together yet- again these things take some $!The truck it self is a 1983 with 10k miles on it that i got from a collector in Kentucky. I chose that as a platform because of it's load capacity and offroad capability because it is goiing to be used as a base for adventure sports. Don't worry it won't be a "waste of the hemtt's talents" because it will either be in deep snow accessing lower snowfields where we can base for skiing/ climbing excursions, remote beach access for surf in areas like Baja, or in the western deserts for river approaches, dirtbike riding etc. The trailer was a roadmaster predator which are known to be based on cargo and stronger then regular rv type toyhaulers. It has a full steel cage and a rear ramp that holds 4000lbs. The back 11 feet is garage and the front 14 is living area/kitchen/bath. The conversion required the removal of the grey and black water which i now have in a steel heated and insulated box on the passenger side. When complete the garage will hold a mountain snowmobile, a motocross bike and a street legal grocery getter enduro. Also it will have a inflateable river boat with motor also for lake crossings, accessing waves fro surf and of course fish. Interior racks will also hold all the skis, snowboards, kite boards, windsurf gear etc.
Ok so why a Hemtt? After having a few lesser vehicles, i wanted something that could handle the payload comfortably and was long enough so i could have the garage. I did not want a trailer behind the rig for obvious offroad reasons and wanted all the gear to be out of sight. Also Detroit diesel and allison trans are easily worked on and parts readily available and US made. Sure it only gets 3-4 miles per gallon and tops out at 60, but look at where i can go and what i am bringing with me. The vehicle fully loaded with all the gear, fluids etc will weigh close to 50,000 lbs, but that is well below the gvwr of 68 k. Right now it is at about 44,000 lbs, but eventually we will add another fuel tank and all the other mentioned above to approach the 50. And yes, i did check the fuel consumption on my 1000 mile trip to colorado and it ended up at 3.8 miles to the gallon. Specs say 2-3 miles to the gallon but that is averaged over all sorts of terrain mostly off road. It still hurts at the pump, but you have to remember where it can go and what you are hauling.
The rig is restricted to where it can go with it's turning radius, height13'3", and length(38 ft) so no real tight switchbacks and low canopies, but normally accessing alpine environments are on logging roads which were built for fairly large trucks, most of our surf will be in remote areas of baja, and the hemtt is at home in the western desert areas.
So all in all it will be a base to live out of for my wife and I in areas that most people only dream of. We will also use it for support for Best of Both Adventures which is our adventure company. If we are not at our home in the Andes of Patagonia, we hope to be in the rig. Sure we wanted the full blown expedition vehicle, but compromises had to be made to be able to pull it off. The chasis is the most important which gets you there and back and the living quarters/garage has proven to be pretty comfortable.
Cheers and keep rolling.

Garret

hemtt camper

Ok everyone. I thought i would join the site to answer some questions. Thanks for both positive and negative comments. First of all, above the cab and motor is just a aluminum rack for my second spare and other gear. The diamond plate on the sides is only temporary and is being replaced with more aluminum tubing. The rack is fully removable for access to the motor and trans in case we ever need to pull them. The tread plate in the front above the windshield will stay however because it deflects wind up over the body.
Second, let me give you some insight into the build. I admit it is plan b as we were hoping to have a body custom built by GXV, but $ restraints made me think of plan b. The build is only 3/4 done and sorry that the final paint etc has not come together yet- again these things take some $!The truck it self is a 1983 with 10k miles on it that i got from a collector in Kentucky. I chose that as a platform because of it's load capacity and offroad capability because it is goiing to be used as a base for adventure sports. Don't worry it won't be a "waste of the hemtt's talents" because it will either be in deep snow accessing lower snowfields where we can base for skiing/ climbing excursions, remote beach access for surf in areas like Baja, or in the western deserts for river approaches, dirtbike riding etc. The trailer was a roadmaster predator which are known to be based on cargo and stronger then regular rv type toyhaulers. It has a full steel cage and a rear ramp that holds 4000lbs. The back 11 feet is garage and the front 14 is living area/kitchen/bath. The conversion required the removal of the grey and black water which i now have in a steel heated and insulated box on the passenger side. When complete the garage will hold a mountain snowmobile, a motocross bike and a street legal grocery getter enduro. Also it will have a inflateable river boat with motor also for lake crossings, accessing waves fro surf and of course fish. Interior racks will also hold all the skis, snowboards, kite boards, windsurf gear etc.
Ok so why a Hemtt? After having a few lesser vehicles, i wanted something that could handle the payload comfortably and was long enough so i could have the garage. I did not want a trailer behind the rig for obvious offroad reasons and wanted all the gear to be out of sight. Also Detroit diesel and allison trans are easily worked on and parts readily available and US made. Sure it only gets 3-4 miles per gallon and tops out at 60, but look at where i can go and what i am bringing with me. The vehicle fully loaded with all the gear, fluids etc will weigh close to 50,000 lbs, but that is well below the gvwr of 68 k. Right now it is at about 44,000 lbs, but eventually we will add another fuel tank and all the other mentioned above to approach the 50. And yes, i did check the fuel consumption on my 1000 mile trip to colorado and it ended up at 3.8 miles to the gallon. Specs say 2-3 miles to the gallon but that is averaged over all sorts of terrain mostly off road. It still hurts at the pump, but you have to remember where it can go and what you are hauling.
The rig is restricted to where it can go with it's turning radius, height13'3", and length(38 ft) so no real tight switchbacks and low canopies, but normally accessing alpine environments are on logging roads which were built for fairly large trucks, most of our surf will be in remote areas of baja, and the hemtt is at home in the western desert areas.
So all in all it will be a base to live out of for my wife and I in areas that most people only dream of. We will also use it for support for Best of Both Adventures which is our adventure company. If we are not at our home in the Andes of Patagonia, we hope to be in the rig. Sure we wanted the full blown expedition vehicle, but compromises had to be made to be able to pull it off. The chasis is the most important which gets you there and back and the living quarters/garage has proven to be pretty comfortable.
Cheers and keep rolling.

oldMan99

Garret,

Very cool build! Defiantly not your average project that is for sure! I agree with some of the others that I might have done some of the things a bit differently, but just about no matter what it is, 10 custom jobs are going to have 10 different designs....lol.

Thanks for posting the "explanation" story here.

Can we get more pictures of it? Lots more pictures!! (Any and all angles, outside and inside...)

Any thoughts about a front and/or rear mounted winch? 8x8 is great and all, but anything that travels across land is eventually going to get stuck, and when that thing gets stuck, it is going to take a bit more than a friendly kid with a jacked up F-350 to get it out! :)

Just wondering, how many gallons of fresh water and diesel are you planning on hauling?

Thanks again!

Garret

oldman99,

Thanks for the interest. No new pics yet but i return to the rig mid may and will be sure to get more. The truck already has a rear mounted 20,000 lb winch that runs of the pto. And yes if that doesn't work i'm in for a good battle to get it out!
Right now it has the stock 150 gallon diesel tank which gets me about 400-500 mile range safely, but i will probably add another 100 plus gallons soon. The water tank is stock also and is only 45 gallons now, so i will probably add another 100. the tank is heated and insulated with both 12v and 110.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Garret. I like your HEMTT and it's yours so you can do what you want to with it. It sounds like a well thought out mod and the only thing I would do is paint everything in matching CAMO.

Enjoy

Garret

Thanks swbradley1! I would love to paint it camo, but we have to get it wrapped with business logos etc so we can afford to run it! It has to be both business and pleasure at this point! Steel soldiers ski team? Tell me a little about that-
Cheers, garret

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks