• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Engine swap to 5-ton

While I probably won't do this, I was just wondering if anyone out there had ever tried to put a 8V 92AT into a 5-ton. I recently won one of these 4150# monsters on GL, and had planned on stripping it for parts and such. The XM813 I have seems to have a strong Cummins in it, but I sure would like to have twice the power.
I also have 3 of the 7.35-ton Rockwell axles with 2 missing a kingpin each, so I think I will be able to build 2 complete axles out of this. Problem is, no one has parts for them. I have written several vendors and was told they would get back to me, or never received a reply at all. Any suggestions out there?
What I am thinking would be the ultimate 4x4 is a bobbed 5-ton with one of these front axles at either end so I would have 4-wheel steering, and have the whole thing powered by the HEMTT engine. For a further trick, rather than going through an Allison HT-740 and the standard t-case, I was thinking of somehow placing the engine more toward the center, like a hummer, and mating a transaxle out of something like a greyhound bus to it, then building some fancy CV driveshafts to run to each axle.
For those of you out there waiting to reply with something to the effect of my questionable sanity, don't bother - I'm Married!rofl

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The double breasted Driptroit is a wide engine.....your big issue will be the steering set up.

The are a two stoke engine also...they use oil as they operate....and they will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

They also need a huge radiator to keep them cool.....prob have to do some modification to the sheet metal.

You would have exhaust and air intake issues too.

Did I mention they weigh about four grand??

That is not to say it can't be done.

If it was an offroad only vehicle it would be awesome......you could put log skidder tires on it and go through some chit.

Rene M

The double breasted Driptroit is a wide engine.....your big issue will be the steering set up.

The are a two stoke engine also...they use oil as they operate....and they will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

They also need a huge radiator to keep them cool.....prob have to do some modification to the sheet metal.

You would have exhaust and air intake issues too.

Did I mention they weigh about four grand??

That is not to say it can't be done.

If it was an offroad only vehicle it would be awesome......you could put log skidder tires on it and go through some chit.

May i also add....
Very high fuel consumption.
a rather dangerous motor to run with out an emergency shut down system.
being two stroke they have a nasty run away problem!
Smokes like a steam train, and uses or wastes as much oil as fuel
you will never get it to stop leaking oil on the ground.....ever! they have air box drains that require them to leak any oil/fuel out of the engine to the ground, to block them off invites a run away situation..

The goods are they are very powerful engines.... And they have a sound like no other on the planet..

Stalwart

Mine leaks a bit but doesn't burn any as I can tell. MUCH better than the 8V92 non-turbo that used to run that ate 1.5 gallons of oil every 500 miles. Other than startup, no smoke either. I must have small injectors . . . having an Detroit behind you is a nice thing, VERY quiet.

pyrogod117

Make sure you get an older model one from the 1980s or a new one thats only a couple years old. The Detroit in our old 1980s fire truck and the new ones > 2002 are fine. The one that I believe is a 1999 just started leaking oil and tranny fluid (I know tranny is separate but still) in ridiculous amounts so that will need to be looked at.

bigdog12

I have an 8v53 nonturbo engine in a bus,someone ran the oil drain back line back to the pan dosent leak any oil,havent had any issues,you could call around about those axles,get the name and # off the tag someone has parts but may not be cheap.The axles have a 2 to 1 gear reduction in the hub.I found parts for some planetary axles I have out of a PLS but they are proud of them.Sounds like interesting build

rwh64

My 2cents

We have 2-V8 detroits in my FD. A 8V-71 with 24,000 hours,never rebuilt and a 8V-92 TA with 10,000 hours. The 71 is in a 1974 ladder truck that will be retired this year. Nothing runs or leaks like a Detroit.

I just picked up my second 7-ton Rockwell from Redstone with my M1008. Got it home and unloaded it to find SOMEONE had taken the differential apart and set it back together loosely, then had stored this beast out in the rain with the top of the crate halfway ripped open. Do you see where I am going with this?
When I went to pick it up, they brought it out from inside a building, but judging from the amount of rusty water that hs poured out, it was in the rain for a long frickin' time. Good thing I have a third axle to pick up whenever event 4991 finally gets back from Battle Creek.
I have also figured out what I am going to do with these and the Detroit. I've got a couple of Chevy Suburbans in the back half of our property that I think will be long enough. I'm going to do a frame-on-frame with them and see how that lines up. No use messing with a perfectly good XM813.

beesonoffroad

5ton motor swap to 6v92ta

I just picked up my second 7-ton Rockwell from Redstone with my M1008. Got it home and unloaded it to find SOMEONE had taken the differential apart and set it back together loosely, then had stored this beast out in the rain with the top of the crate halfway ripped open. Do you see where I am going with this?
When I went to pick it up, they brought it out from inside a building, but judging from the amount of rusty water that hs poured out, it was in the rain for a long frickin' time. Good thing I have a third axle to pick up whenever event 4991 finally gets back from Battle Creek.
I have also figured out what I am going to do with these and the Detroit. I've got a couple of Chevy Suburbans in the back half of our property that I think will be long enough. I'm going to do a frame-on-frame with them and see how that lines up. No use messing with a perfectly good XM813.
I put a 6v92ta with a rto9513 tranny in my m813 here in alaska
It is a bit of work but the difference in power and torque
Are huge I also did away with the brake system and put a hydromax system in
Everyone with a military 2.5 or 5ton should look in to this upgrade
I have not been able to upload pics for some reason

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a 6v92ta with a rto9513 tranny in my m813 here in alaska
It is a bit of work but the difference in power and torque
Are huge I also did away with the brake system and put a hydromax system in
Everyone with a military 2.5 or 5ton should look in to this upgrade
I have not been able to upload pics for some reason
I'd definitely like to see pics of all that!

Bandit02

I think a inline 6 would be a better choice as the M900 engines tuck under the firewall cowl a bit unlike the M800's.

The 3406B is gonna be tight fit when she goes in on mine. Not enough room to run a intercooler. May look at that stacked intercooler/rad ideas I se on Peterbilt/International run.

How noisy is that Detriot in there driving?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks