• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT M984E1 Wrecker on the mend

paradeduty

OK Guys (and Gals!) - I think I am finally to the point that I can put some wrenches to work and not have excessive delays because of parts. In short, my next (insane) attempt is a "mechanical" restoration/rejuvenation of a M984E1 HEMTT Wrecker. I brought this one home a little while ago and have been spending my time collecting some of the various parts that I will eventually be needing. There are still a few misc. ones that the info out there is a little scetchy on and I may need a little more of a professional input to locate the correct replacement. Although my end goal is to get her back to parade-duty/show condition, my current obstacle is just getting her back into runnable shape. First and Foremost - please understand that I am in no way going to attempt to finish this truck to the quality of Damon's/Stuart's or Bruce's amazingly restored examples. With work and a wife that is always extremely patient with my projects (of which there is always plenty), I have to force myself to try to be as realistic as possible. We enjoy being able to share the military trucks with anyone interested (especially the wide eyed kids!) and I find that once a truck is "done" and I move on to another project, I don't have as much time to keep them cosmetically pristeen and at the same time let the kids, etc. climb on them. I'm pretty sure most of us understand the "first scratch" scenario. Seems like I don't worry too much about them once they get "lived in". I definitely think they look a little better (maybe more "in their element") with a little dirt (mud?) on them! Second - this is going to be a Long Term Project. I must also be realistic about my time and obligations as it reflects on the pace of this project. So please, please be patient. Occasionaly work takes me out of town or even local work morphs into 12/14/16 hour days and everything else must wait. It is also progressing "cash out of pocket" so some things must just wait a bit.

Anyways - on to my first challenge. See if I can get her running again. I'm hoping that this is not as daunting as it could be as she only shows a little less than 1K hours on the dash. Unfortunately, my diesel mechanic buddy is just buried in work and is finding it impossible to find any time to spend over here. So, if possible, I am putting the call out to any SS'ers in the area of Chelsea, MI that might have heavy diesel engine experience and might be interested in helping work on her to contact me. My mechanical skills I would assume are at least average for the vehicle collector group, but I would never claim to be a diesel mechanic. On top of that, I would have to guess that the majority of the diesel guys out there may not have much experience any more on the 2-stroke engines. Oh ya, in case anyone is wondering, the original engine that is still in this girl is a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA. I'm pretty sure that it was put in all of the older HEMTT's and 911 HET's. I think even the XM977 HEMTT prototype that a few guys have had the 8V92 as well. But my first goal is to get her moving on her own power before the fall season so we can get her back inside. The HEMTT wrecker weighs in at about 53,000 lbs empty so coaxing her around is not something that I ever look foreward to. Like I said, give me a shout if you are able to help and do not have enough challenges in your life already!

I have stumbled on a few interesting things on these trucks (and there will no doubt be more) that set the wreckers apart from the other HEMTT's. And then even other differences between the 984E1 and 984A1(production version) even though the military considers the two to be the same truck (surprise!). These differences mostly became obvoius due to the fact that the depot guys had pilfered a number of parts for unknown reasons. The reasons became apparent! Most of these parts were unique to the 984E1/A1 wrecker - some due to the wrecker variant and some due to the higher GCVW rating of the chassis to accomodate the wrecker variant.

For example - consider this scenario..... O.K. crawl underneath and check her out.

Hmmmmm - why would the rear output driveshaft from transfer case to axle #3 be disconnected from transfer case and output yoke from transfer be removed.

Possibility #1 - Dam*, bad transfer case - but if its a bad transfer, why remove just the output yoke off the back while its in the truck instead of after the TC is removed? OK - keep digging.

Check the parts manuals - locate the specs on a rear yoke (note - I did not say "the" rear yoke - stay tuned). Call spicer - get specs on yoke. Hmmmm - specs on new yoke are different than that for u-joint still on drive shaft. Hmmmm - decide to acually READ parts breakdown manual in depth. Hmmmm - why is it that rear output yoke on TC is the only part not included in parts breakdown for TC as a whole? OOOHHH - isn't that sweet - it's because the output yoke for the wrecker variant is different (read bigger/harder to get) than the standard one. (I think the GCWR of the wrecker is in the range of 160,000 lbs - may be wrong).

Possibility #2 - Most probable - hard to procure part for the base boys and so they stole it! Ah, life.

Order the new yoke from truck supply - could only get me the "half round w/ clamps" yoke. Hmmm - original is shown w/ full round joint ends w/ caps. OK fine - order the correct one from spicer. Yay, Success!

Next Scenario - ever try to locate a part that the "local" Oshkosh dealer has no idea what it is for or what it does? Found out that it is an electronic pulse generator gizmo that drives the electric/electronic tach. Ended up tracking it down through the manufacturer to Oshkosh Truck.

Ended up doing similar for the "ignition" switch (I know - it's a diesel) - who knew that a simple start/stop switch could be such an adventure! Went someting like this....Hi, did/do you folks supply this NSN part #?....Hmmm, not in our books......Well, it is for a military truck......Oh, well let me get you to Mr. X - he works with most of that.......Hi, (repeat previous).......Hmmm, looks like that was for Oshkosh?.......Yup........Yes we did those.......Do you still show any in stock?......No----But looks like we have the parts to make you one on the shelves......OK, that will work......Do you have a local dealer rep so I can place an order.........Sure, call these guys..........Cool........Hi, I have talked to Mr. X and I need to order this part........Sure, Suzzie is out of the office this afternoon but she can get back to you tomorrow......Cool......(tomorrow)Hi, um, our books don't show that part number - are you sure that is a good number?.......Hmmmm, let me call back Mr. X........Hi, Mr. X (explain above)......Well, you see, that is a military part and doesn't show up in our standard catalog. Just tell them to order that number - tell them not to worry about it, just order it.......(this kind of stuff always worries me).......Hi, they say to just order it.......Ok, I'll call you back w/ pricing tomorrow........Cool........Well, it will be $XX each and they say they have enough left to make two - how many do you want?......Hmmm, well better just get two then. Believe it or not they actually made/shipped the correct one(s). I thought for sure it would get messed up when it got to the mystery part numbers!

Well, anyways.

Just thought I would attempt to start a new "build/rebuild" thread for any interested parties.

Attaching a few pictures.

Dave.

Attachments

paradeduty

Thanks GR,

I am going to do my best to not let myself get too stressed over it. When she gets done, she gets done. Things are bound to come up and we'll just deal with them as they do. I can't complain too much - except for the bent "eyebrow" over the windshield, the cab is in really good shape. They swiped a couple of guages and stuff, but no damage. They took the electric/electronic speedometer, but I already got a brand new one from oshkosh. The other guage that is missing I think is the Air Pressure guage which if I remember is just the standard mechanical so should'nt be a big deal. One oddball (but its not critical) is they took the air filter restriction indicator (vaccuum?). It's basically the same as the ones for the deuce and 5-tons but it mounts on an angle bracket for the sloped dash. Just have to keep looking. Will probably try to locate a "glare shield" that went around the upper edge of the guage panel on the slightly newer ones to cut down on the glare on the flat faced guages from the sloped windshields. Mine still has the air operated wipers and I think the A2 models went to the electric motors. Don't know if it is worth the conversion though. The seats are actually in good shape although I wouldn't mind going to the air rides some day! Take Care, Dave.

area52

cool pics and good luck.

Is the big white tank on the drivers side the fuel tank? Good grief, I can only imagine filling that baby up!!

JDToumanian

Wow!

I have only a few pieces of advice to contribute...

-- I would try to locate my parts by NSN number through a good MV parts and surplus dealer, like Dave Walker, who has access to "the system" to locate surplus. Going through civilian channels will be futile or expensive.

-- You may already know this, but when you change the oil in the Detroit, remember that 2-cycle diesels require a special oil, 40wt. CF-2 rated. Rotella and Chevron DELO (100 not 400) make it, but you may have to special order it at Napa, or they sell it at Detroit dealers. If you use an incorrect oil, like 15w-40, you will very quickly get liner scuffing that destroys the cylinder honing and high levels of injector cam lobe wear.... and your engine will then be junk. Never use any multi-grade oil in a 2-cycle diesel.

Regards,
Jon

paradeduty

Hi Area52,

Yes, that is the Fuel Tank on the driver's side. I think it is supposed to be 150 Gallon capacity. There were a few parts that had been replaced on the truck before I got it. All of them came off of a tan HEMTT that must have been being used for parts. I think others have mentioned that the HEMTT's get around 3 MPG. I'm hoping to get that as this is the heaviest version. We mostly just do the local parades and benefit car/truck shows. So we don't really end up burning all that much fuel in a season. Take Care, Dave.

paradeduty

Thanks, Jon,

Yes, I had already talked to Stewart (WA state) about running his HEMTT and he said similar things regarding the engine oil. He also recommended the Rotella. Confirmation information is extremely comforting. Like I said earlier, a lot of diesel guys are just not familiar with the 2-strokes anymore. I know that I have asked around and been told by many mechanics that the multi viscosity should be fine - but it just didn't seem right. You and others have been SO adamant about this subject that I am with you. Thanks a bunch. I have looked and believe it or not Sam's Club does carry the Rotella multi viscosity (even in 55 gal drum) but not the straight weight. Guess that settles it - will have to order it. Hey...just a stupid question. Is it worth a little bit of money per gallon to order the oil in the gallon containers to make hauling it up to the height of these engines easier instead of ordering a 55 gal drum? I have forks for my tractor so the drum itself isn't an issue. I know that I can pump it up to the engine from the drum but I am usually a one man army and bottom line is it worth it for the couple of times a year max? Take Care, Dave. Hmmm- I guess I could lift the drum up to engine level so I can control flow and monitor oil level at the same time.......this could get really interesting! Better pray for me folks!

JDToumanian

I know that I have asked around and been told by many mechanics that the multi viscosity should be fine - but it just didn't seem right. You and others have been SO adamant about this subject that I am with you.
Wow, that's stunning ignorance! If I were a mechanic and didn't know, I'd refer the customer to the engine manufacturer's website, or the oil website.

When you order oil, make sure it's not just single weight, but that it has the correct rating... it should be CF-2 (the "-2" is for 2-cycle), not CF or CJ-4 for 4-cycle diesels. Chevron DELO 400 and Shell Rotella both make 40wt. CF oil, and that would be incorrect.

Anyway, you don't have to feel like because you have a consensus you can "take our word for it"... This stuff is very easy to verify. Compare these....

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77106&docFormat=PDF

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77118&docFormat=PDF

Jon

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite a project and it will be quite a truck when complete. I just went back and looked through the GL Listing. I am surprised that there wasn't a 10 page conversation on here about the truck or....maybe I missed it. It looks that you have already hooked up with the best known resources on here with Stuart, Damon and Bruce. I'm sure there are others here that worked on these in service. There is also a guy in Perry FL that Bruce knows well that knows them. You may even find some decent feedback from Ted Hils in AL, I know he has owned a couple of HEMTTs and specifically a 984. Best of luck to you Sir!

paradeduty

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks for stressing the difference between the CF-2 and CF-4 (not really hard to remember once you make the connection between -2 = 2-cycle and -4 = 4-cycle). Never hurts to have too much info - but definitely can hurt to not have enough! I know ther is some guys around with the 911's that could probably find this info helpful (I think same engine). As far as the 10 page thread......I didn't want to get into posting about it until I actually knew a little more than I did about the truck. Isn't a week that goes by that there isn't a new bit of info on it that I learn. And I havn't even dug into the electrical system yet! Just based on a cursory overview, I think the wreckers had just a bit more wiring than the other HEMTT's! I'm not afraid of it as I'm an electrician by trade, so I am most probably going to just replace 98% of the harness for peace of mind. If it's anything like most vehicle wiring, many of the "accessories" are wired on the same circuits, etc. I have already found a stash of the original crouse-hinds (sp?) circuit breakers for replacement and expansion of the electrical harness to isolate future issues.
Take Care, Dave.

paradeduty

Thanks Derrick,

I've talked to Ted about a couple of things. A few of the elusive parts are specific to the 984E1/A1 Wrecker (which is probably why they were "reappropriated"). I do need one small external engine accessory gizmo, but most of the folks who have the Detroits in any condition do not seem to want to "part them out" so I will have to probably get that one new ($). I did locate a few of the HEMTT 984 Wreckers at a yard down south, but they were the original M984 not the M984E1/A1 so everything pertaining to the wrecker equipment was different. I'll let you know if I need to drop some "personal parts" and manhandle one of your heavy tow bars! Thanks for the offer. Take Care, Dave.

12vctd

If you need parts let me know, I might just have what you need laying around. I have alot of experience with all the HEMTT series trucks, I have rebuilt them from ground up at Depot lvl as well as 10/20 programs. Thats a great truck my favorite. The new A4's are nice but im a Detroit fan. But the air conditions are nice.

12vctd

Also I have all the TM's as well as the IETM and all the info you could possibly want. I would be glad to assist you in any way with this project, heck if I could afford the time off and the travelling Id come right on up there and help you. That motor is a tank, **** headgaskets can be done in 4 hours a side, the cams are in the head so theres no messing with valve train. I can also source any part number you need to civilan numbers as many of these parts are used in mining equipment and cement trucks. Just replaced a #4 axle on friday.

12vctd

GROUP 0900 PROPELLER SHAFTS
FIG.174 TRANSFER CASE TO NO. 3 AXLE
PROPELLER SHAFT - M984A1
1 PAOOO 72447 908759-0719 PROPELLOR SHAFT WIT ...................... 1
UOC:H40
2 PFOZZ 72447 6.5-60-54-801 .PROPELLER SHAFT ......................... 1
3 XAOZZ 72447 6.5-86-38 .SEAL,PLAIN ............................... 1
4 PAOZZ 95019 5-281X .PARTS KIT,UNIVERSAL .................... 2
5 XAOZZ 72447 6-73-209 ..SCREW,CAP,HEX HD ....................... 1
6 XAOZZ 72447 6-5-6-158X ..RACE,BEARING ............................ 4
7 XAOZZ 72447 6.5-5-138X ..JOURNAL,SUBASSEMBLY ................... 1
8 XDOZZ 89346 418322C91 .YOKE,UNIVERSAL JOIN .................... 1
UOC:H40​
END OF FIGURE

this is the info from parts man for driveshaft but I think you have already sourced this

12vctd

what external engine part do you need? the tach drive? I have alot of parts so I might be able to help you out. the nsn for it is 6680-01-412-3180 Part number TR8 AJ-2