• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Wheels

73X

Just got my Hemtt wheels from M1075(James). I could not ask for a better price or shipping. I mounted up one 11.00 x 20 Michelin just to see how it looked. Awesome comes to mind. Now it is time to EDM the center hole and machine some plates up then weld them in place.
Also does anyone know if 11.00 x 20 is acceptable on a HEMTT wheel? The 11.00 x 20 seems a little too narrow but went on and aired up easy enough.

Attachments

spicergear

They're pretty much designed for a more narrow wheel than the HEMTT wheel's. I would be surprised if the wheel size is okay'ed by Michelin to 10". Even their 1200x 24's are only approved for 8" & 8.5" wheels.

73X

That was not the answer I wanted. Seriously I appreciate your input I was concerned they were not supposed to be on a rim that wide. Now I need to research what will fit and where to find them. Thanks again. Ron

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if he runs with a bead lock spacer?
Is the concern about the narrower rim because the tire might want to pop off the bead or is is about sidewall support of the downward force?

How tall is the tire after it is spread out on the Hemtt rim?
Should be 42"(11.00 x 20 - 11+20+11) on an 8.5" wide.
Is it the same concern as running a 16.00 x 20 on a 8.5" wide rim?

Ridgerunner

An 11.00x20 on a 10" wide wheel will be fine. I've ran numerous sets of tires with extremely wide wheels for many years and never had a single problem because the tire was on a wider than stock wheel.

You have the tires and the wheels, run them.

73X

I will get a measurement of the height, we just mounted it to see what it would look like and it went on very easy and inflated no prob. which then begged the question can we or should we use them. I admit I have no clue but am researching and asking those who know for assistance.

CGarbee

Just because it airs up and sits on the rim when you have it in the shop doesn't mean that it is what you really want to be running down the road on, IMHO...

Even if you don't have a tube getting stretched, my vote is with Gohot229 on this one. By going wider than the design rim, you will effect the load rating and will be stressing the tire in ways that it is not designed to be stressed. Not good for the life of the tire, and real heartburn if you get involved in an accident and somebody takes a look at your tires and checks the recomended rim fitment info.

Considering how many folks want a good set of 1100r20 Michelins for use on stock rims (I run them on my XM813 and M817 and have a couple of friends who would love to have them on thier M109's), I'd sell what you have and pick up some tires that are designed to fit on the rims that you have.

Good luck.

73X

Contrary to whats been said here, it's not a good idea to streach out the tire beyond the recomended rim width. Yea you'v got some really cool wheels, but the tire fittment looks like @$$. if its wire-belted all the worse. If you run these, keep an eye on those radial bulges and near the rim bead area, along with the shoulder as well. Those areas will likely give you tale-tale warning if the cords start breaking internally Along with the tire, you'v also streached a 11.00 tube into a 13.00-14.00 area by widening the rim. Then theres the possability of Dot if you ever get stopped or go through the scales.
Thank you for your input I appreciate it. I also appreciate the input on who sells centers, I am going to make my own though. Thanks again.

jesusgatos

Thanks for those additional pics! That's exactly what I wanted to see. You saved me the trouble of having to find a HEMTT rim to test-mount one of my tires on. But those are definitely not going to work for me. That's a baaaaaaaaad fit.