• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT/XZL dead horse question

poopypants

evening guys...
new to the site and have been on here for about 5 hours now surfing around the different sections.
anyway i have a project question and i think its best posted in here.
i have been searching for a while and still not 100% so ill ask and yes its probably a newb question but my eyes hurt from sitting at this computer :cool:

i bought an M715 with a set of 2.5 rockwells under it. all of this stuff is new to me. it currently has 11.00r20 wheels and tires on it.

IMG_3143.jpg

also with the truck came a set of 2 piece HEMTT wheels and 6 lug adapters. (still need o-rings and valve stems)

IMG_3266.JPG

these tires are sitting up the street from me for $600
365/80r20 michelin xzl
IMG_3262.jpg

here is my question...obviously can mount XZL tires on HEMTT wheels?

i am confused about the MPT/non-MPT tire MPT/non-MPT wheel thing.
i found this statement on SS "The issue of incompatibility arises when you attempt to mount an mpt tire on non-mpt wheels. The bead will never seat correctly. However you are perfectly fine putting non-mpt tires on mpt wheels."
i guess i need clarification on this...i believe the 365/80r20 is an MPT tire but i am not sure about the wheel? search has given me no insight.
i have seen the 395 mounted on HEMTT wheels but not the smaller 365. the 395 is not MPT?

i am not really concerned about the ride quality or the weight of this or that (unless its dangerous) but this is just a truck to drive up the street to home depot or load some firewood in.

so will the 365/80r20 mount to my HEMTT rims? please say yes because they look cool.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those don't look to be HEMTT wheels to me. They kinda look like M1076 trailer wheels. The lug holes do not look to be beveled and the bolt count is wrong for a HEMTT wheel.

Regardless of whether or not the wheels pictured are HEMTT wheels, the 365/80R20 is, as far as I know, an MPT bead tire and CANNOT be mounted on a HEMTT wheel, which is a non-MPT wheel.

SLOrazorsedge

Those are definetly not HEMTT wheels. You have 6 lug adapter plates bolted partially onto the wheels for the 2.5 ton axle bolt pattern. I'd have to see the top half of the wheel in order to attempt an ID.

poopypants

Well I'm glad I snapped a pic of the wheels to post...I took one of them up today to a gentlemen who sells/parts out 2.5 and 5 ton trucks (the axles apparently came from him originally) and I was told they were hemtt.
I will take a better pic tomorrow and post it...maybe someone can i.d. the wheel

im trying to search this stuff first before posting newb questions but now I don't even know what I'm starting out with.

thanks for the input guys

poopypants

looking closer now at the wheels i see the HEMTT wheels have 16 studs for the two halves where i have 12. so yeah i don't know what they are
i do know they are heavy as poo.

beter pics of rims...hopefully someone can ID

IMG_3268.jpgIMG_3269.jpg

either way if this rim is not HEMTT, can i assume it is NON-MPT by the shape of the lip?

IMG_3271.jpg

and just to confirm...im my searches i see the 395/85r20 xzl is NON-MPT so this would work with whatever rim i have above in theory.
46" tires might be pretty tight on the M715 without cutting the fender well but could be an option.
just trying to figure out the best route.

thanks in advance.

SLOrazorsedge

You may want to register with the "M715 Zone." It's a forum dedicated to the M715 series of1 1/4 ton trucks. Many of the customized M715's are built with the Deuce 2.5 ton axles. Michelin 14R20's and 395/85R20 tires are commonly used. I'm in the process of building one as well using Hutchinson 20 bolt aluminum wheels with Peashooter's wheel adapters.

poopypants

hey john no problem! i was in heaven at your shop the other day! cool stuff.
I'm sure ill be bugging you in the future :cool:

SLOrazorsedge i joined the zone the day i brought it home but haven't really had time to read up on all the cool builds...
sounds like your build is what I'm shooting for...