• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Herculiner the cab of M1008

Bozor1000

Has anyone Herculined the inside of their cabs. I am going to pull the seat out of it this weekend and do it myself with the roll on style. Your feedback is very welcomed. Steve

DanMartin

RE: Herculiner

I did it to my 97 Wrangler many years ago...went on great and was *very* tough. You might need to re-apply in the foot-well areas after a year or two (it does wear down), but this is a simple touch-up process.

Mask off the areas you don't want the liner getting in (including floor panel seams). If it's removable, take it out and mask (if needed) it outside the vehicle and coat it that way. Carefully tape off the back side of panels around the edges to make sure you get a clean edge. Once dry, use a packing knife to score the masked areas before peeling (it'll just rip the tape otherwise). Plan ahead....once that stuff get's on, it's tough getting it off.

I used a scotch-brite pad on a die grinder to scuff up the paint surfaces to get things to stick. Use a hand pad for corners...prep work is critical here, or it will flake off. Consider using some TSP (Trisodium phosphate) to get things squeaky clean (use caution...this stuff is dangerous, but works well).

Remember, this stuff goes on with a roller to get the texture right. It's thick going on, and very tough once it's set up.

Note, the fumes are pretty bad for the first few weeks (well, at least they were for me)...leave the windows open to allow the out-gassing to dissipate completely.

Hope that helps...

AJMBLAZER

Prep, prep, and prep man. I Herculined my Tracker's outside and the hard part is definitely in the prep work. I've seen bad work with Herculiner that mostly relates to lack of prep. Mine's been great after almost two years and as many Michigan winters and the only thing I'd do differently is put more coats down.

JohnFire

I have had a paint in bed liner in my M1009 since 2000, it has held up pretty good. Unfortunately the rust from underneath is eating through it. I had undercoated it almost every year except when I was out of the country and was often parked in a garage with a gravel floor. This was a kit from JCWhitney that was put in. I only reapplied to the heavy wear areas once, and then while I was gone dad put rubber mats with holes in it in the front and back floor. The same as you put in a kitchen.

AJMBLAZER

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Sand it like they say to, use the degreaser they say to, clean it all up good, and be very thorough about it. Follow the instructions as they say and it should turn out very nice. I also recommend at a minimum 3 coats. I have three on my Tracker and definitely wish I had done more (ran out of time unfortunately).

Also try and find more of the rollers they supply with the kits. I beleive they come with two which is just not enough to do more coats than that. I found something "similar" at a local big box but it ended up not working very well. Next time I will order a few more from Herculiner before I start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks