• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here is an unusual item - CARGO TRUCK, 2-1/ 2 TN, #XM956

Prerunner1982

Jeff, the 5ton wrecker i use to drive had and X on the ID plate.. XM816

perhaps the 2.5ton is a mis-type or mis-ID or something.. thats definately a 900 series 5ton.

Clem1226

it's a 900 series cab and bed but talk about a pig!!! Definatally not a true 900 series. Motor looks like a 3408 cat....dont think it's a detroit............

Adamlee

PIP 2-1/2 ton on auction

Hey guys.

Take a look in the old Military Wheeled Vehicles book by Fred Crismon...that is indeed a protoype PIP upgrade deuce from the same program of which the 900-series 5-tons were born. See, the PIP trucks (product inprovement program) were both supposed to be built, as 2-1/2 ton AND 5-ton replacement interim vehicles prior to the FMTV fleet replacing everything.

However, the AM General PIP deuce was NOT selected, just the XM900 series protoype, and instead the military thought they made a better money deal by rebuilding M35's into M35A3's....

You are absolutely right, though, as far as axles looking like the 5-ton axles on the 900's...they are identical, except the springs are rated lower and the tires are smaller.

Wierd, huh? You can't imagine all the wierd XM-prototypes that get dumped out via DRMO and now GL....back in the 80's Jeff got an XM-ten ton six by that Aberdeen Proving Ground had converted into a test bed/mobile dynamometer....V8 LeRoi gasser with dual exhaust...every once in a while when he blows the mouse nests out of the pipes I get a flashback of when Mel Gibson starts up that tractor in the desert in Road Warrior.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks